Beginners and Beyond

RR: Surf City Perfect 10 (Read 47 times)

Brilliant

On Sunday I ran the Surf City Perfect 10 (10 miles).  This race runs along the Pacific Ocean, following the course of the Surf City Half Marathon, except it takes out a short jaunt into a hilly neighborhood.  So it’s fairly flat.

Based on my very recent PRs, McMillan predicted a 9:47 pace using my HM, and 9:20 using my 5k.  That’s a huge difference, so I had no idea what pace to run this. (it was my first 10-miler).  I decided to pick a number in the middle and aim for a 9:30-9:35 pace.

I did exactly what I planned for miles 1-5:

1 mi        9:36

2 mi        9:32

3 mi        9:31

4 mi        9:30

5 mi        9:34

6 mi        9:39

7 mi        9:24

8 mi        9:23

9 mi        9:16

10 mi      9:14

Mile 6 has a big hill which I steadily chugged up.  At the top, I decided I felt good enough to put on the afterburners. (yes, I have to say that in every RR).  I started picking off people to pass.  The only problem with that approach was that suddenly I was getting passed by a ton of runners – the course meets up with a 10k and 5k that had started later.  So mentally that got to me a little, but I brushed it off.  Final official time:  1:34:50 (my A goal was 1:35).

So obviously I’m really happy with this race!  I also learned something new about racing:  apparently there’s a pace at HM effort or faster at which I just can’t swallow.  This happened to me a couple of weeks ago in a HM; I tried to eat a donut hole and gagged on it.  Sunday, I decided to take a GU at about halfway, and I couldn’t get the paste down!  I had to let it dissolve and slowly trickle down my throat.  I don’t know if I *needed* a GU for a 10 mile race but I was afraid not to eat it and possibly run out of steam (sugar/caffeine) toward the end.

Of course I had to play the McMillan game: new marathon predicted time 4:26:12.    Actually, I know that one is in my dreams, but it also predicts a 10k faster than my current PR, which gives me confidence for next month’s Turkey Trot.

From the Internet.

Nice! Really strong finish with those last 2 miles!

I also can't eat at HMP or faster - I was worried about that while training for my half this past spring, but turns out I really didn't need any nutrition for the half so it worked out fine.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Wtg on running the race you planned and beating your A goal!

Runner with a riding problem.

delicate flower

Nice job on your race!  I've only done one 10 miler but I enjoyed that distance.  I wish there were more of them around.

<3

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  You were really consistent and finished strong.  Great race.

music_girl117

Yay!!  Great race!  You are really knocking down the PRs lately! 

So 10k PR next month?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Great improvement!  Anxiously awaiting your 10K RR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Lauren, I'm trying to figure out if I need GU for a half, but I'd be afraid to go without now that I'm used to it.

Pleasantridge, thanks!

Baboon, it's a good distance - not so fast as a 10k, but not as long as a half!

Ginny, thanks!

Jessie and Damaris, yes, I'll be back on Thanksgiving Day with a RR - but, I'm not sure about a PR - I'm in shape for one, but I might be running with a 6th grader that day to encourage her.  I don't know yet what she can do.  She's been warned that if she wants to run together, if I'm faster than she is, I'll slow down, but if she's faster, I can't speed up!

hog4life

Wow congrats! Why can't I run splits like that?

#artbydmcbride

10 mile races are awesome....I always wish I could stop at 10 miles during a Half Marathon!     Great job!

Runners run

outoftheblue

Great looking splits.  Congrats!

Life is good.

workinprogress11

Very nice splits!

I bet you could get by without the Gu for a 10 miler. For a half, I'm not sure. I always feel like I slip a little around mile 7 and the Gu seems to help. It could be just a mental boost though.  Who knows?

Anyway, great job!

Ric-G

nice, consistent splits...way to go...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

Zelanie

Very well done!  Congratulations!

You Rang?

Well Done and nice negative split.  Yes the last three miles of that race were wicked crowded.  You were coming up off the Bolsa Chica flat at the same time the 10K racers were turning around and entering your side of the highway.  The same thing happened 1.5 miles from the finish as the 5k runners hit their turn around.

Be careful with McMillan's Marathon prediction times.  Unless you intend to run lots and lots of long slow mileage to build the endurance needed to run a VO2 Max marathon, you will find McMillian's predicted times very hard to meet.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)