Beginners and Beyond

Heat wave Thursday Penguins (Read 13 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." They also don't notice when somebody hides an extra sentence in the middle of the intro.  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

We have a heat wave hitting us in Southern California.  Today will reach 98, and it will be 100 by Saturday!  I know some of you feel my pain.  Meanwhile, I feel a need for a long run; I haven't gone double digits in two months.  So I'm headed out early today for 11-12.  I'll be done before 9AM when it should only be 76. Sad

I hope everyone has a great run or rest or other plans today!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 and Pilates sometime today.  Taking hubby to his procedure and then driving him back when ready. In the middle, I will work from home.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Good morning Penguins!

We have a heat wave hitting us in Southern California.  Today will reach 98, and it will be 100 by Saturday!  I know some of you feel my pain.  Meanwhile, I feel a need for a long run; I haven't gone double digits in two months.  So I'm headed out early today for 11-12.  I'll be done before 9AM when it should only be 76. Sad

I hope everyone has a great run or rest or other plans today!

At least you have some lows you can run in.  It is already feels like 90F at 5am down here most days.  Which is why I have not run outside in more than a week and it was raining badly the day I did (only way I can).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My pickup quartet last night was good, although not as good as my regular quartet.  Considering we've been singing together 3 1/2 years, I would hope it's better than a pickup quartet!  But good stuff, anyway.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!!

Brilliant -- eek, that's hot!  Hope your 11-12 went well!!

Docket -- sending good wishes for hubby!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Last night I watched netflix and ate chinese food instead of going for my run 

So this morning I got out there and did 9 miles including the Williamsburg bridge.  This means I'm going to have to run the next 3 days in a row to stay on plan, but I'm hopeful I can keep the mojo going.

Allison - heat waves are horrible =(  I hope that your 11-12 miles go well today!

DR - I hope hubby is okay!

HsM - how many music groups do you belong to?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Terrible track workout last night!  Or maybe a great one, since I worked harder than I have in a while.  I'm blaming the blood donation, since that lowers your V02Max.  I just had nothing.  And I tried to force it on the first interval, and then just ended up dying.  I still finished the workout, but more for the discipline than anything else.  Then I came home and felt super depleted.  I feel much better this morning after a good night's sleep.

Brilliant- I hope your run is going well!  At least after a heat wave, it can make the "normal" summer weather not feel so bad!

D- Hope everything goes well for DH.

HsM- That's awesome that you have so many singing options! Smile

sapf- Good job on getting out there and not letting the slip become a slide!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning Pens!  Last night I watched netflix and ate chinese food instead of going for my run 

So this morning I got out there and did 9 miles including the Williamsburg bridge.  This means I'm going to have to run the next 3 days in a row to stay on plan, but I'm hopeful I can keep the mojo going.

Allison - heat waves are horrible =(  I hope that your 11-12 miles go well today!

DR - I hope hubby is okay!

HsM - how many music groups do you belong to?

Four,, I think.  Chorus, quartet, church choir, and church praise team.  Singing in the car (shower, while baking) is just a bonus!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

85 minutes of pool intervals, scarfing down the biggest bowl of homemade mac and cheese ever right now. Running a couple errands with the kid in a bit, probably back to the gym for weights and maybe a few minutes warmup or cooldown on the elliptical later tonight.

Brilliant

Ugh, 12 done with 7 at goal MP (not that I'm training for a marathon...just thought I'd mix it up a bit instead of just a tedious long run).  It was 81 degrees when I finished .

Docket_Rocket

Hubby's procedures went well and nothing show the cause of the anemia (no bleeding, no cancer, etc.) Obviously, that could mean blood cancer, but it is likely that if the iron pills are helping in a month, then it was something temporary.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

D- Great news!

Amazonian Princess

No kidding it's a heat wave Thursday! Temps have been moving upward this week and we're expecting over 90 this weekend. Yeah, I know that's nothing compared to other areas, but we don't have a/c and I'd hate to think of going to work just to stay cool

Brilliant - nice run this morning! 81 is usually too hot for me to run, 79 is generally my cut off point. Thank goodness you're in Cali and won't mock me for saying that!

Docket - glad hubby's procedures went well and hope the iron pills help

sapf - great photos you posted the other night! What were you watching on Netflix? I binged on Parks and Rec because I was too squeamish for Orange is the New Black

Zelanie - kudos for donating blood and for having the iron level to do it

Hsm - will you ever post a performance on You Tube of any of your quartet of quartets?

Lauren - mmmmm, mac and cheese, you deserve it for the double workout!

Ran a couple miles late last night after work - and ran a couple miles early this morning before work. Not as many as listed in the plan, but this is a weirdly very social week with a bridal shower, dinner party, farewell lunch, and team BBQ packed in. Tonight is the dinner party where I will do my best not to stuff my face with homemade Filipino food, or you'll have to call me "Bloat-anista" tomorrow!

I can. I will. I am. 

Brilliant

No kidding it's a heat wave Thursday! Temps have been moving upward this week and we're expecting over 90 this weekend. Yeah, I know that's nothing compared to other areas, but we don't have a/c and I'd hate to think of going to work just to stay cool

Brilliant - nice run this morning! 81 is usually too hot for me to run, 79 is generally my cut off point. Thank goodness you're in Cali and won't mock me for saying that!

Ran a couple miles late last night after work - and ran a couple miles early this morning before work. Not as many as listed in the plan, but this is a weirdly very social week with a bridal shower, dinner party, farewell lunch, and team BBQ packed in. Tonight is the dinner party where I will do my best not to stuff my face with homemade Filipino food, or you'll have to call me "Bloat-anista" tomorrow!

Oh, no AC?  Yikes!  Stay cool.  Your week sounds super fun!

Yes, I agree with you that running once it hits the 80s is too much.  I should've started at dawn but I waited until 6:45.

Brilliant

Hubby's procedures went well and nothing show the cause of the anemia (no bleeding, no cancer, etc.) Obviously, that could mean blood cancer, but it is likely that if the iron pills are helping in a month, then it was something temporary.

Great news!  I hope he continues to improve.