Beginners and Beyond

When do you start looking at future races and registering for them? (Read 117 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Some of the spring halfs seem to wait until the last minute.  The Holy Half at Notre Dame waited until 6 weeks before the race to open registration.  The annual marathons seems to open ASAP.  Monumental actually opened registration on New Years Day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have a dilemma, this October there are NOW two races I am considering but I think it would be a good idea to choose one and not both. I have been planning on registering for the Evansville Half marathon this year (registrations aren't open yet), but now my heart is pulling towards the Annual Indianapolis Half Marathon on October 19. Honestly I want to register for both but as I think the Evansville will be either on the 6th or 13th, that would be a week or 2 weeks before the Indianapolis race. And then of course I go back to Indy for the Monumental Half on November 2nd. I figure I should ask for other runners' opinions Undecided

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Some of the spring halfs seem to wait until the last minute.  The Holy Half at Notre Dame waited until 6 weeks before the race to open registration.  The annual marathons seems to open ASAP.  Monumental actually opened registration on New Years Day.

Hmm... maybe it was New Years Day, I can't remember dang it. I just know I registered on the very day that registrations opened Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hopefully it won't happen to you, but once you've swallowed a race fee or two due to injury, registering early becomes a lot less attractive. I wait as long as possible now to register.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hmm... maybe it was New Years Day, I can't remember dang it. I just know I registered on the very day that registrations opened Big grin

If you registered for the HM, and paid $50 it was before Jan. 3rd.  It was their "Resolution Special".  Then, it went up $$15.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hopefully it won't happen to you, but once you've swallowed a race fee or two due to injury, registering early becomes a lot less attractive. I wait as long as possible now to register.

It's happened......... twice I think. 2010 I registered for the Evansville Half and it would have been my first but I injured myself. Then last year I was going to run the Indy Monumental Half a month after the Evansville Half, but after limping my way across the finish line at that one I decided to swallow the fee and recover. I honestly don't mind if it happens, I just tell myself it was a donation, it's easier if I don't have the shirt. Last Hearts on Fire 5k (2012) I dropped out before the first mile, I hadn't ran for over a month before the race, gained 10-15 lbs (pregnant) and was not acclimated to the cold. I have the shirt but I hardly wear it. Smile

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If you registered for the HM, and paid $50 it was before Jan. 3rd.  It was their "Resolution Special".  Then, it went up $$15.

Hmmm.... I do think it was $50.... I will check real quick.

Edited: Yep, I registered on the 1st of January.

PRs

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Freesoul -  More importantly, where do you eat in Indy?  There are some pretty good choices, but we only planned a one night stay last year.  So, we drove down after work, and had to go for Rock Bottom.  If Rock Bottom is your last resort, you're doing pretty darn good...lol  This year we're going to stay an extra night, and I'm taking Friday off of work to get their early.  I want a relaxed Friday, and post race party on Saturday.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Freesoul -  More importantly, where do you eat in Indy?  There are some pretty good choices, but we only planned a one night stay last year.  So, we drove down after work, and had to go for Rock Bottom.  If Rock Bottom is your last resort, you're doing pretty darn good...lol  This year we're going to stay an extra night, and I'm taking Friday off of work to get their early.  I want a relaxed Friday, and post race party on Saturday.

My plans are to leave Friday afternoon and head up there, so I am probably going to have to reserve a hotel this weekend. We'll stay until Sunday night. Hopefully get there around 4 p.m on Friday, go find the YMCA to pick up my packet then we'll go eat somewhere nice, run the race Saturday and either relax the rest of the day or go somewhere and then eat out that evening, Sunday might either be a stay in the hotel most of the day and chill.

PRs

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Last year, Monumental put some pretty good hotel deals on their website.  We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for $165.  Once you've been there, it seems like a pretty darn good deal.  We're waiting for the hotels to hit the sight again.  I want to go to St. Elmo's this year, but that has to be post-race.  I can't eat a huge steak the night before my first marathon...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner2 - where do you live that lets you race without having to go too far? I'll be running in St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati this year, all over 200 miles from me but we're making it a mini vacation also so it isn't huge deal. Next year I am looking at races ranging from Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and northern Indiana.

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs. Winter races can be hard to find every weekend, but from April through November I usually have multiple choices every weekend. Most of them are 5Ks, but if I want to run a longer race I can usually find one. I might have to drive as much as an hour and a half on rare occasions. I'm close enough to Wilmington, DE that it is also a possibility as is the Lancaster area if I stretch it a little.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Better I Leave

I've already got my HMs lined up for the year, but I'm a bit dismayed at Tough Mudder this year. They want my money for registration in the 2013 NorCal events, but they haven't determined a venue...WTF? You want my money, won't offer a refund, yet you won't tell me where it's gonna be held? Excuse me? I ain't offering up any cash if'n it ain't a challenge, capiche? If it's Squaw...I'm there. NorthStar? Not so much (too easy). Gimme 10,000ft altitude and 13 plus miles of granite BAYBAY...or go home! **grin**

RSX

+1 I don't like to register for more than 2 at a time as a result. I have 1 in the morning and the following Sunday. Then I assess and go from there. My running club picks 2 races a month, but also keeps tabs on when they fill or not.

Nevrgivup

+2 This has happened to me a few times and it stinks. I wait at least a month out now and for small races I usually register the day of.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Ball of Fury

When we race in Indy, we always eat at the Weber Grill the night before...it's our tradition!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15