Beginners and Beyond

So, how do you attract new members? (Read 542 times)

LRB

Hey, I'm new here.  Having only 1 page of threads on RWOL is ABSURD.  I must have joined here a while back because it said my e-mail address already had an account associated with it.

David!  I wasn't sure you would come.  We're getting close!

sugnim

Hey, I'm new here.  Having only 1 page of threads on RWOL is ABSURD. 

Why, thank you.  Big grin

ETA:  I mis-read that the first time.  Somehow I thought you said that after reading only 1 page of RWOL, you came to the conclusion that we as a group are absurd.  See how absurd I am?

xor

I think what LtH is getting at is how are we going to draw in the actual new runners.  I just Googled "running forums" and RA did not even make page 1 of the Google search.  RA is not even 3 pages in on the search so this will likely not draw on the C25K market.  Those will likely go to Runners World and get caught up in that mess.

Hell we are here not because it was our first choice but rather we went here because the grass was greener and seas were calmer.

The true beginner will likely not migrate to RA let alone our user group.  We have essentially succeeded from the running community with this user group.

Don't get me wrong, I like it here but I liked it at RWOL when the software works.

Except that the software doesn't work and they treated you like absolute shit for years... and yall let them do that to you.

You know how to make RA more prominent and a more likely place for new runners to poke in?  By using it.  Posting good stuff.  Starting up word of mouth.

And just accepting that new runners are ALWAYS going to start with Runners World because of the bright shiny magazine.  There isn't much to do about that because I guarantee that eric isn't going to start up a competing shiny mag.  Which is fine, nothing says we should try to be the same thing.

That said, I have suggested and will suggest again that this site could use some content.  There are some very good writers here and some very very good runners here.  And there were some good runners and writer on RWOL who are now here too.  SCORE.

Jess runs for bacon

I just checked it again, looks like all of the normal threads are back up less the spam. Too slow though. I'm happy here!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That said, I have suggested and will suggest again that this site could use some content.  There are some very good writers here and some very very good runners here.  And there were some good runners and writer on RWOL who are now here too.  SCORE.

I can write.  Hell, I have a degree in it.  And I would work for peanuts.  Or nothing. 

Running is dumb.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

OK, I changed the group name and description.

xor

I like the name and thanks for keeping the beginning of the name as is. 

When you change the name, it re-orders how things appear in your user group list at the bottom of your forums page.  For those of us who have lots of groups or got used to where this one is in the pile, that is a "where did it go"??? when a group admin changes the name.

Anyway, honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about attracting new folks.  Settle in.  See what happens organically.  And if you like the digs, do what you can to make this the awesome place to be.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I can write.  Hell, I have a degree in it.  And I would work for peanuts.  Or nothing. 

Mandy, can you find your "Things I learned" post? That was absolute gold....every single word of it.

xor

Notice I accidentally (I promise) wrote that writer (singular) came from RWOL.  I was obviously talking about you.

xor

Mandy, can you find your "Things I learned" post? That was absolute gold....every single word of it.

....and should be linked in the sticky at the top of this group.

Meat Wagon

Puker

It's simple. Everytime that RWOL gets hit by spam, or S*S gets too heavy handed, just post the link over to here. Trust me, there'll be an endless supply of newbies if we do that. It's not like they're going to fix things anytime soon. There's no rule against posting in multiple forums.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

xor

It's simple. Everytime that RWOL gets hit by spam, or S*S gets too heavy handed, just post the link over to here. Trust me, there'll be an endless supply of newbies if we do that. It's not like they're going to fix things anytime soon. There's no rule against posting in multiple forums.

The fun thing is that someone invited Ms Soul over here.  Maybe she already is.  Weee!  And welcome.

(and I agree.)

runfoolery

I'm on strike until you change the name to "to infinity ... and beyond!" With a sound file of tim allen. Tongue
                            runfoolery

Some of jenny's posts are awesome too, if we are going to sticky that kind of thing

SheCan

I've been trying to still see what's happening in some of RA's main forums, and to be as open to getting to know anybody on this board as I am in here.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson