Beginners and Beyond

Home city is not what it used to be :( (Read 78 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.14news.com/story/29616077/epd-suspect-arrested-in-connection-with-arson-explosives-found-in-evansville

Last week some apartments were set on fire, one room being completely destroyed and nobody able to find the resident. This morning someone walks into a McDonalds just a half mile down the road from said apartments, with a bag which he puts down and leaves. A customer calls police who come in with a Bomb Squad and find a Molotov Cocktail and a pipebomb in the bag, then a couple hours later someone at the Evansville Day School which is right next to said McDonald's calls police about another bag but that bag did not have anything.

You can read the article. Here is the asshole

Caleb Loving, 25. (Vanderburgh Co. Jail)

I am getting sick of this, the very city where I grew up, spent countless nights walking around with friends at 3 AM, driving around while teens late at night and I no longer feel it is safe for kids to do these things anymore.

Evansville wasn't always like this, sure we had our occasional issues but it was never this bad, everyday there is news about gun shots and hell a well known DJ was murdered earlier this week... ... it just pisses me off 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

cjones1

I live about an hour or so west of Evansville in S. Illinois, small town 10k or so people, and it's the same type of crap.  Low crime was one reason why I liked living in a small town.  Not so much anymore.  Just last week a well known local homeless guy was beat to death in one of the neighborhoods I run through every morning.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I live about an hour or so west of Evansville in S. Illinois, small town 10k or so people, and it's the same type of crap.  Low crime was one reason why I liked living in a small town.  Not so much anymore.  Just last week a well known local homeless guy was beat to death in one of the neighborhoods I run through every morning.

This world is really starting to suck major balls man.......  Sadly it's our youth and they're also our future...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Oh yeah? Well what about this coo-coo clock:

"On 05/10/2015 at 1847 hours, police responded to a 911 call on Ellenel Blvd for a report of an intruder in the house. Upon arrival, officers came in contact with Jason Hubbard who was inside the house on Ellenel Blvd. Police subsequently placed Hubbard under arrest for Criminal Trespass.

Further investigation revealed that Hubbard entered the home through an open door, three days prior, when the homeowner was taking out the garbage. After entering the house, he proceeded into a spare bedroom where he stayed under a bed for 3 days. He also began charging his 4 cell phones utilizing an electric outlet under the bed.

Hubbard remained living under the bed in the spare bedroom until the homeowner heard a noise in the bedroom. When the homeowner looked under the bed, he found Hubbard and immediately called police.

At the conclusion of the investigation, Hubbard was also charged with Burglary and Theft of Services (electric current). He was transported to Spotswood Police Headquarters where he was processed as per departmental policy. He was then transported to Middlesex County Adult Corrections Center in lieu of $50,000.00 bail."

Little Blue

Oh yeah? Well what about this coo-coo clock:

Hubbard remained living under the bed in the spare bedroom until the homeowner heard a noise in the bedroom. When the homeowner looked under the bed, he found Hubbard and immediately called police.

I wouldn't have called the police.  Because at this point I would be dead from cardiac arrest.  Imagine finding some stranger under the spare bed?    :runscreaming:

I am getting sick of this, the very city where I grew up, spent countless nights walking around with friends at 3 AM, driving around while teens late at night and I no longer feel it is safe for kids to do these things anymore.

Evansville wasn't always like this, sure we had our occasional issues but it was never this bad, everyday there is news about gun shots and hell a well known DJ was murdered earlier this week... ... it just pisses me off 

The Evansville crime rate data over the years has some ups & downs, but no noticeable increasing trend. (Although appears it has not followed the nationwide trend of generally decreasing crime rates.) Is it possible you pay more attention to the news now than when you were a teenager? Or worry more about these things since becoming a mom? It has probably never been a good idea to be walking around at 3AM, but as teenagers we feel pretty much invincible.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Yesterday was a bad day in the news all around. Theater shooting in Louisiana. Two brothers apparently hacked up nearly their entire family in Oklahoma (mom, dad and 3 of 5 younger siblings dead, 1 in critical condition).

I think a lot of "things are worse" feeling is because we know more about what is happening everywhere now due to multiple 24-hour news channels, plus the 'net and social media. What would have only been "news" in that town 30 years ago now feeds the machine and feeds our fears.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Yesterday was a bad day in the news all around. Theater shooting in Louisiana. Two brothers apparently hacked up nearly their entire family in Oklahoma (mom, dad and 3 of 5 younger siblings dead, 1 in critical condition).

I think a lot of "things are worse" feeling is because we know more about what is happening everywhere now due to multiple 24-hour news channels, plus the 'net and social media. What would have only been "news" in that town 30 years ago now feeds the machine and feeds our fears.

This.  I never watch the local news.  They are depressing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

JHC. What a turrible day. :c

Agree - I think we just see and hear about a lot more now, and right when it happens too, than we did even 10-15 years ago. The cycle of "people these days are terrible, but things were great back in my day" has been going on as long as there have been bad people to complain about.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It was nothing like this when I was a teen, my mom watched the news the same then as she does now and she is constantly texting or calling me now about things happening around here. Not long after I got out of high school, I heard of girls hitting and beating the shit out of teachers in my high school, that shit NEVER happened when I was there or when my sisters were there before me. People talk and word gets around and if shit like this was happening when I was a teen, I would've heard about it. There's more cops out these days than there were when I was a teen, we walked along streets and out in the open and rarely saw a cop, now... they're everywhere. This shit is even moving from the South side to the East and North side of the city, it was never this bad.

Evansville has never been a great or good city, but compared to Indy, Chicago and New York and other cities of it's size or larger, Evansville was a great place when I was growing up. Kids are either stuck on their phones or tablets, or out destroying shit now. It probably had 2-3 decades of going great before now, when my mom was a teen/young adult it was pretty bad but only really on the South side and stayed there, then from the 80's to now it has been pretty quite up until about 3-5 years ago and has been slowly increasing.

PRs

Half Crazy K 2.0

I grew up between DC and Baltimore. The area had its issues and still does. In high school (20+ years ago), they had to announce to the student body that a student had died. It was an execution style murder, possibly drug related. 

Where I live now just made the news cause a father decided to kill his 2 son and then himself due to financial issues.

happylily

As our populations increase all around the world, there is a greater number of crimes and we hear more about them with our new forms of media. It's only logical. Also, greater populations often bring greater social problems.

I am not so concerned with the problems in my little town, or the bigger one next to it, or even my own country, as I am concerned with the problems in the rest of the world. Because in the end, what's happening there will have a huge impact on my children's lives...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Seems to me that my parents moved us from Chicago to the burbs to escape crime and bad schools. And that was 1955.  Now my kids live in the city and love it.

RSX

I have lived in the burbs my whole life but shit still happens. My town has had 2 big murders since we bought our home. 1 town near where I grew up had a triple murder that 1 or both Boston Marathon bombers may have had a role in. Nothing surprises me anymore.

happylily

I have lived in the burbs my whole life but shit still happens. My town has had 2 big murders since we bought our home. 1 town near where I grew up had a triple murder that 1 or both Boston Marathon bombers may have had a role in. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Yes, nothing surprises me anymore. In my little town, some older guy was arrested for having sex with local 14-15 year old girls. He was preying on their naivete. Fortunately he was arrested and sentenced to jail. Sick people are everywhere, not just in big cities.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010