Beginners and Beyond

The Penguin Weekend after. (Read 16 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Robert31320

Team TJ

I did 2 miles early this morning.  The only reason I only did 2 is because I ate WAY too much last night.  #gluttonyhastostop

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

Back on the streets for 8 this morning, cold but dry. Tomorrow supposed to be much colder but still dry. It's going to be a long long run.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Robert and PAD.

I have 12 miles on my plan for today - last really long run before my HM in three weeks.  I am contemplating cutting it to 8 because I'm tired and have a bit of a sinus headache.  Plus, do I really need to do 12? =D  I have 10 on plan for next weekend (2 warmup, 10k race, 2 cooldown) and 8 the weekend after.  I've been a little down on this half because my friend's husband planned her 30th birthday party (in NJ) for the evening before.  That shoots any chance I have of PRing (which was slim to begin with) down to almost nothing.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have 8 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Robert: I know the feeling. I go back to work on Monday so my gluttony will end.

PAD: if you don't have them already, I recommend some gloves and one of those headband ear warmer things

sapf: split the difference and do 10. The week before you can taper a bit. Really, run 10! Smile

D: enjoy your 8.

AFM, 4 recovery pace miles done. That sets me up for my 12 miler tomorrow. Some bathroom work needs to get done and then it's football time.

on my way to badass

Howdy Penguins, PAD, Robert, sapf and Damaris. Way to get it done! I got 3.5 done in order to stay ahead of my January goal pace bunny. Hi Jack!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

obiebyke

Hey, guys! I'm in modified One Hour Runner (OHR) mode, so the plan is 41 mins. later.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

PADRunner

Oh I have gloves Jack and I'll probably be wearing 2 pair tomorrow., a toboggan and a hoodie!

tracilynn

5.2 done between tstorms. Wind was bad. Our high temp will drop 30-40 degrees next 4 days. Boooo

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Oh, man...I need a rest from all the time off I had!  Holidays can be exhausting!

At least today San Antonio has some sunshine again and the temp will be in the 60s today and on Sunday.  I went to Lackland  Air Force Base and got in a very pleasant 4.4 miles.

This weather will not last though.  Monday morning our low is down again...to 25 degrees!  Crazy damn Texas weather!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Happy Weekend Penguins!

Robert, gluttony has to stop why? Wink

Ran 4 very windy miles this morning...a big storm hit Maui last night...today's excursion to Lanai was canceled...feel sorry for me, please. Smile

Sapf, as your fellow teammate I agree with Jack and hope you did 10 Smile

SF, thanks for the reminder to set up a pace bunny for 2015; I need that.

on my way to badass

Happy Weekend Penguins!

Robert, gluttony has to stop why? Wink

Ran 4 very windy miles this morning...a big storm hit Maui last night...today's excursion to Lanai was canceled...feel sorry for me, please. Smile

Sapf, as your fellow teammate I agree with Jack and hope you did 10 Smile

SF, thanks for the reminder to set up a pace bunny for 2015; I need that.

I'm doing my goals a month at a time. This is my first time using a pace bunny.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Don't you just love it when you type a long post (on your phone) and then it doesn't post?

Today I switched tomorrow's 10 LSR with today's easy 6. Weather is supposed to go frigid with some snow tomorrow so thought I'd make the most of the milder temps today.

I set up the pace bunny for 2015 with a goal of 750. Scared to set it to 1000, although my goal for the year is to work on a steady base of 25-30 mpw. Anyone want to take a peak at my log and see if I'm underestimating myself? I'm a sucker for setting goals and don't want to disappoint myself. That said, a good nudge from peer pressure works too.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Zelanie

Kathleen, it looks like you've logged several solid months at very close to 80 miles per month- hitting that 80 mark each month would put you at 960 for the year.  So IMO, if you're feeling good, you are ready for that at this point.  If you aim for 85 miles per month, that would give you your 1000. Smile  Sometimes I think looking at things by month makes it easier to see the overall patterns without feeling like you can't take a cutback week here and there when you need it.

But some of it has to do with your goals, too.  I generally have set my goals on the easy end, because I didn't want the disappointment of not making it.  This year, I went more aggressive, and I am feeling that darn pace bunny chasing my every day.  That thing never takes a rest day, darn it!

I did get another 8 easy in today to keep the pace bunny behind me for one more day.