Beginners and Beyond

Week 6 Penguins, snacking on Nutella!! (02/03-02/09) (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins!!  I had an awesome weekend, mostly because the weather is finally not encouraging hibernation.  I went for a trike ride while DH walked Dusty on Sunday, and was basically just zooming back and forth down our steep hill and up our long hill, then down our long hill and up our steep hill.  Yeah, tired quads!  Good times, though.  And our Superbowl party was lots of fun, though the game itself was kind of a dud, IMHO.  I wasn't even really impressed with most of the commercials.  Ah well.  Then yesterday was a perfect day off -- I went through and organized my shoes and put a lot out for donation, threw away some messed up pairs.  Did some mending, some laundry, and sat out in the sun with DH and Dusty for a while.  Good times!!

Yoga this morning was hips, hammies, and lower back.  Woo-hoo!  And we're supposed to hit 70 today, so OH YEAH, I BIKED!!    Through a road closure and construction, but nobody yelled at me, so guess they didn't care.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, and it's World Nutella Day.  Some folks love it, some hate it.  I'm in the love category.  It's also "Move Hollywood and Broadway to Lebanon, Pennsylvania Day".  What's up with that? 

GinnyinPA

That really is a bizarre name for a day. Amish and Broadway don't really go together.

I'm glad you're enjoying this early spring. When we were walking Ben yesterday I was wishing I had a bike. I'd love to go for a really long ride. Today I was wishing I could go backpacking, though the ground is so wet from melting snow it would be a bit of a mess hiking. Still it was so nice I just wanted to spend all day outside.

Yesterday was a rest day for me, so I did a yoga video, then today I have 7 easy with strides. I'll probably go to the hilly neighborhood for that one.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Woke up with a migraine and went to work (big mistake).  Left early and rested in bed the rest of the day.  I am finally up, lol.  I think I just needed a break after working through the shutdown and being sick.

RD.

HopesMom, sounds like a great weekend!

Ginny, enjoy the 7.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, hope you're feeling better!!  Ginny, hope you're enjoying the (not quite) spring!!  My yoga this morning was hips and back, although maybe I should've gone with hammies.  Mine are always super tight.  Well, there's always tomorrow!  Biking done too, despite the forecast of rain this evening.  I brought my raincoat, and I'm charging up my headlight.  I wasn't going to waste a warm day!  Quartet rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am feeling much better after a day of sleeping (or trying to).  I have 8 miles after court.

HopesMom, nice job on the yoga.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope it's not raining for your ride home .Enjoy rehearsal.

D - I'm sure you needed a break after all the stress of the past month. I hope you feel better today.

I have intervals later. It's raining, so I'll do the run on the TM.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  I got a little wet on my bike ride out yesterday, but nothing major.  It was still a good ride!  No yoga this morning, as I swapped it for some couch time with DH.  And no biking today, as it's chorus day, and we have a performance tonight.  I'll have to head out a little early to get home, get my costume on, spackle on my makeup, etc.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have 6 miles tonight.

HopesMom, glad the ride went well.  Good luck getting ready.

Ginny, hoping the run yesterday and today went well.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope your performance goes well and is fun.

D - good luck with the 6 tonight

I had a wet run today. It was misty and foggy when I set out but warm enough I preferred to do my 11 outside rather than on the TM. It was a good run.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, the performance was a blast, so that was all good.  Foggy drive, though.  The fake spring continues -- it was 67 when I got to work this morning.  I was all primed to bike, but my handlebars wouldn't screw in.  It's not a hard fix, but can't be done without tools, which I don't have in the car.  Maybe I need to start carrying a vice grip and an adjustable wrench.  So anyway, no biking today.  Yoga was a lovely restorative practice for hips and legs, so that's all good.  I didn't get to bed until about 11:30 last night, and 5:30 hits awfully early in the morning, so I'm a little foggy, myself.

Love your soggy 11, Ginny! 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My TM is supposed to be delivered today, so there is that!  I have Pilates and 6 or 8 miles tonight depending on time (and whether I have a TM or not as I could start dinner while running a bit more...)

Ginny, nice 11.

HopesMom, glad the performance went well.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

lindasaffell

Fighting senescence

Hi!  I'm new here, although I have sporadically been on RunningAhead using the log, for years now.  I'm going to hop on here and introduce myself.

I'm over 50, an active retired lady with several young grandchildren and a bit of a workout habit.  Mostly I enjoy things like strength training, and Pilates, and Yoga and swimming and walking.  But ...... I received a FitBit from my DH for Christmas.  And so I have been letting my Geek flag fly, messing with some TM sessions to mix in.  And the other morning my daughter-in-law invited me to join her and a friend at a Zumba class.

I ran pretty regularly for several years, about a decade ago (blush!).  I became very fond of the RunnersWorld forum community then, but it doesn't look as if that's around any more.  Then I began wandering around here on RA and found all of you.  I am most definitely a Penguin.  I was never ever a speedy runner.  I have recently noticed some intriguing training tip videos out on YouTube, and so I am going to try those, but, at my age and without a strong history of competitive running, I don't want to aim too high haha.

I'm dipping my toe back in, so far I've only done a number of 30 minute sessions on my TM.  I don't enjoy going out and running alone and it's still pretty cold here (though nothing like the Pacific Northwest right now!).

I'm enjoying catching up on your posts and getting to know you all!!

Happy Garmin newbie

Renewing my interest in running, sloooowly

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Linda!  Welcome to the penguins!

Damaris

Fundraising Page