Beginners and Beyond

Monday morning penguins are asleep in their igloos (Read 22 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  Looks like the time change is not going over well in the igloo.  I have work, then a meeting, then 7 easy on the schedule.  Racing this Saturday!

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, we are asleep, aren't we?  It's spring break for the students this week, so campus is nice and quiet.  Supposedly nice weather this week except for Thursday, so hopefully I can do some walking.  Woo-hoo!!

Morning, Zel!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I was about to open the Penguin thread but I was inside the igloo.  4-5 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Morning Zel, yesterday was very slow in the igloo too. I'll be racing this weekend too, and I've been scratching my head how to run my miles this week.

My plan today calls for 6x1200's, but I'm feeling lazy.

Zelanie

My race is my speedwork this week.  And my long run, hehe.  Luckily I had the same race in the same part of my plan last year.  Since that was probably my best race of the year, I will run the same miles leading up to it this week.

HsM- Love the weeks when the students are out of town here, too!

D- Nice comeback!

Mitch- Hope the run goes well, however you do it.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 4.35 outside this morning with 4x100m strides thrown in at the end. Feelin' good. Looking forward to putting down another 20+ mile week, if all goes well I'll do a bit of a cutback next week, and then maybe attempt a jump to 23-24 - that's only another half mile/five-ish minutes per run so I know I can do it, but I think mentally it's going to be a challenge. It just seems like SO MANY miles after all the aches and setbacks and injuries last year!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I ran the LA Marathon yesterday and it was HOT. At the finish it was over 80 and that was at the beach. Crazy hot. I ran a 4:09 and am fine with that. I cruised the first 20 miles and then did a mix of walk/jog for the last six. The last six miles were hard and my legs were hurting(and the heat did not help). I had not run 20 miles since December and I paid for it. Today I am sore but it's not too bad. Still, I am taking at least a few days off.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - Good luck in your race this weekend.  Your training log looks good.  I'm guessing that you're well prepared!

HsM - I wasn't necessarily asleep.  I just have a busy schedule this week, but I finally caught a break to post real quick.  I should get up earlier tomorrow.

Docket - It's so good to see you getting out and running again.  Awesome stuff.

Mitch - I think my goal time for Oak Barrel is going to have to be adjust drastically after this weekend's 5K.  I'll talk more about that in a minute here.

Lauren - Congrats on the miles.  It sounds like you have a smart plan in place.  Keep it healthy, and enjoyable.  Great job.

Jack - Congratulations, and definitely take a few days off.  You're really getting into this marathon stuff...lol  I ran mine, and decided that a year off wouldn't be a bad thing.

AFM - My 5k this weekend was a real eye opener.  I've spent so much time on the treadmill this year because of the ridiculous winter that I may be in trouble.  I've done my best to use inclines, and such to simulate outdoor running, but I noticed the difference on the first hill this weekend.  My HR was elevated just warming up on that hill at what should have been an easy pace.  My best mile was 7:38 at the 5k, and I finished just a hair over 25 minutes and 1:30 minutes slower than my PR.  Now, the winning time was a good minute slower than the time that has won the past several years and a full 2 minutes slower than the course record.  So, there's that.  When you consider the blinding snow, 15 mph wind and ridiculously hilly nature of the course, I may not be as far off as I think.

I need to get outside this week though.  It will be nice today, but that means that I'm going to be stomping through deep waters wherever I go.  That's not going to be fun, but I think it's necessary.  I think the extra weight that I put on when I first quit tobacco is hurting me as well.  I was about 232 pounds the morning of the race.  I think that wouldn't be a huge deal on a flatter course, but carrying that uphill is a nightmare.  I think I can safely drop 2-3 pounds a week until Oak Barrel, and hopefully come in around 220 pounds.  220 is pretty close to where I ran my best HM time on another very hilly course.  So, I feel very comfortable with that.  I added a mid-week 10 miler last week, and plan to keep that this week.  I'm up to 14 on my weekend long run, and may just bump that up to 15 this weekend because I'm not 100% sure that my treadmill is calibrated right, and don't expect that mother nature will cooperate with an outdoor long run this weekend.  We're expecting single digit temps and another 2-4 inches of snow on top of the water we will have from today's thaw.

Anyway, there's a little bit of whining and complaining there with some solutions that I hope to implement.  I don't expect to beat my 1:46 PR next month based on what I now know about my fitness, and what I know about the course.  I think a 1:50 might be possible if everything goes perfectly between now and the race.  Time will tell, but I'm going to have to play a lot of it by ear on race day....I think.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Hi Pens...

I ran the LA Marathon yesterday and it was HOT. At the finish it was over 80 and that was at the beach. Crazy hot. I ran a 4:09 and am fine with that. I cruised the first 20 miles and then did a mix of walk/jog for the last six. The last six miles were hard and my legs were hurting(and the heat did not help). I had not run 20 miles since December and I paid for it. Today I am sore but it's not too bad. Still, I am taking at least a few days off.

Nice job!  But psstt, 80F is not hot.   How hilly did you find it?  I found that the so called negative net elevation was misleading.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Good morning Penguin friends!

Zelanie-- your training seems to be going so well.  You're going to so rock the 10 miler this weekend.

HopesMom-- oh good!  Its about time you had good walking temperatures.  Enjoy your quiet week at work!

Docket-- you'd have to have one of those plastic dog house igloos where you live.  Are you "running" the 4 or 5 tonight?

Mitch-- you're allowed to be lazy on race week.  Last week all i ran was 2 miles prior to my race.  It was actually really nice!  What race do you have this coming weekend?

Lauren-- you've been doing amazing lately!  I'm so glad your body is giving you a reprieve from the injuries.  Just know that you don't have to increase in mileage every day.

Jack-- you truly are amazing, congrats! I know that's slow for you, but for some of us, that's smoking.  Can't wait to hear more about it.  Hope you got a few nice pictures, too.

Awood, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  Those sound like some really rough conditions that your ran in this weekend.  It sounds like you forgot to congratulate yourself on this one.  I can't even imagine running a race in those temperatures, and apparently everyone was affected.    The fact that you were able get to this level of fitness in your off racing-season is pretty impressive.  I have no doubts that with another month of training and honing, you'll be able to pull off another fabulous HM.

My race Saturday was just fabulous.  Great weather, great course, great FE (Willmur from RW and my miles game team)  and great trip with my sweetest DH.  I won't bore you all with the details right now, as I plan on doing a RR on this one.  I will say I'm pretty darned sore all over with some bruised toe nails, and will be taking a few more days off.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She Can - I'm out of the loop.  I didn't even realize you were racing this weekend.  I can't wait to read the RR.  If I'm on the road at the time, my response may be short, but I do still read more than people would expect.  Thanks for the kind words.  I'm definitely going to try to put forth a good effort next month.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: Lol, I don't know that I'm getting into this marathon stuff, but they are fun, in a weird sort of way. I was talking with DW last night and I think I want to do more HMs. The training for a full is just too much. I can see running them for fun, but to truly race one, it's tough.

D: TRUE!! That course is NOT easy. There were some tough hills and the negative net elevation is misleading. That, combined with 25,000 runners, makes it a tough course for a PR or BQ. It was hard to find a rhythm and I never really got in a good groove. It seemed like I was always bumping elbows with someone or I was getting cut off.

She Can: I got a few before and after pics, but none during. I didn't bring my phone because I couldn't manage to figure out a way to comfortably carry it. Good job on your race, looking forward to the RR.

GinnyinPA

Z - enjoy your 7 this evening.  You have been running so much lately, your race this weekend should go well.

Hopesmom - enjoy your quiet time.  Too bad you don't get spring break too.  Hope you get a good walk this afternoon.

Damaris - enjoy your run.  Did the 4 the other day hurt, or is the pain easing?

Mitch - which race are you doing this weekend?

Lauren - your short runs are really short.  You should be able to add to them without much problem.  Good luck.

Jack - good job on the race in those conditions.  Your next marathon is downhill, so should be a little easier.

Awood - given the weather, you can't really extrapolate from the results of the 5k.  But I agree, making the transition to running outdoors can be difficult at first.  It passes pretty quickly though.

Cherie - congratulations on your ultra.  I'm glad you had fun and am looking forward to reading the race report.

Docket_Rocket

SheCan, I am only running now.   congrats on the race!  RR in 3, 2, 1...

Ginny, the pain is really the adductors so I'm stretching them especially after cycling workouts.

Damaris

Fundraising Page