Beginners and Beyond

So my cousin is back in the hospital (Read 237 times)

Love the Half

I turned 50 in October and I have a cousin who is about 18 months older than me.  The last time I saw her was at her father's funeral.  She was probably north of 400 pounds and was wheelchair bound.  The last time I saw her before that was in intensive care after she had come out of a diabetic coma with her blood sugar at unreadable levels.  She has been a diabetic for a very long time.  Despite being quite intelligent and having a Master's degree in education, she hasn't worked in over 20 years because she is unable to move.  Now, her kidneys have failed and she is on dialysis.

Our health really is all about the choices we make.  I can't for a second type this and say that I have always made good choices.  I smoked for 30 years and I was overweight for most of those years.  Fortunately, I had my "oh shit" moment when I had to buy a pair of pants with a 42 inch waist.  That was enough to get me to start living a healthier lifestyle.  Unfortunately for my cousin, it appears that she will never have an "oh shit" moment and I seriously doubt she'll see 60.

That's remarkable as my father's family comes from seriously hardy stock.  My paternal grandfather was an alcoholic coal miner with black lung who chain smoked and managed to live into his early 70's.  My father's brother (my cousin's father who died last year), was overweight, chain smoked, had undergone three heart bypass procedures, and he managed  to make it into his early 70's as well.  My father has taken good care of himself.  He is not overweight, he eats a healthy diet, and he stays active.  He and my mother took care of my 7 year old until she started school and they are caring for my 3 year old.  My father just turned 82.  He's not as quick or as strong as I remember but he still shovels his driveway and he still cuts his grass.

It is frustrating to watch her kill herself but I take solace in the reality that my father has provided the example of how I can be when I'm over 80.  Interestingly enough, I told my wife earlier today as I was heading out to buy my father a birthday present that I want to be like my father and be really difficult to shop for because I already have everything I need and most things I want.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry to hear about your cousin Sad I really hope she will "wake up" soon and start to make some healthy lifestyle choices before it is too late. Must be hard and frustrating to watch.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Better I Leave

I know what you're going through my friend. Watching family/loved ones slowly kill themselves is often times a mix of heartbreak and frustration. My mother was 350lbs. She lost the weight, but it was too late, her body is shot.

I feel for ya brother, I really do.

tessasnewlife

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Some people never get it or change. Some change too late. My husband had asked for a gym membership for his birthday two weeks before he passed, and he used it. My mom smoked and drank up until her diagnosis, never ate and was 7loo pounds for years. On the other hand  you never know.  My brother in law was the perfect work out king. His dad still alive, mom took terrible care if herself and Was in her late 60s. He died at 44 from bad arteries. Point is you never know. Just enjoy each day.

Sorry to read that, LTH.

Length of life is partially out of our hands, but quality of life much less so.  Hoping that your cousin decides to make the most of what she still has.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thank you for sharing this story with us, it is so emblematic of our society.  I dont want to trump your story but my father who smoked into his 40's was told some 40 years ago he would die.  He then started to run, barely finishing 1 block his first week.  Just last weekend he finished 3rd in the 4 mile Ringling Bridge Run in Sarasota at 85.  He made an obvious choice to get healthy (as you did), and is an icon to me.  So my prayers to out not to your sister but to you, as it is your choices that we need to hold in high esteem and show the young that there are consequences to all that we chose to do.

It's unfortunate to hear stories like this.  But you are so right, it's all about the choices we make in life that affect everything about us.  And sadly, far too many people make bad choices throughout their lfe.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear about your cousin, LTH.  It is truly about the choices we make but it is still sad when one sees them wasting their life away or suffering.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Brad, I'm sorry to hear this.

Zelanie

That is tough.  It's so easy to lose hope when you have so much weight to lose that it can seem impossible.  I hope that she is able to salvage at least some quality of life with the time that she has.

Oy, Brad. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

So sorry to hear about your cousin.   Yeah, I watched my mom do the same thing, she was always obese, smoked her whole life, never ate very healthy...and yet, she lived until she was nearly 80, go figure. But..she did not have a very good quality of life IMHO, she was ill quite a lot and in the hospital numerous times over the span of her life.   Her lifestyle was one of my motivating factors on deciding not to live like that, and to try and stay as active as I can, and I've been physically active for the majority of my life.   Now if only my mental side would catch up! Wink

It is sad to see family members doing this to themselves but there's not a lot you can do about it if they're not motivated themselves to make a change.  I'm glad you 'saw the light', buddy!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So sorry to read this, you are correct it's all about the choices we make.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

LTH, that entire OP explains a lot.  We're in similar boats.  You can only do so much to help those around you.  Hopefully, you can find a way to reach your cousin.  I know you're frustrated, but try to find a way to find that common ground.  My own family tree is riddled with diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc.  People don't get it.  I reached 315 pounds because a wrestling coach said he needed me at heavyweight.  I have had time to rebound, and regret nothing.  I'm watching my brother slip into lethargy as he ages, and I transition into the next stage of life.  My entire family consists of wrestlers, boxers and fighters.  I feel like the first to figure out that you  can't stop once the bell rings or the horn sounds.  I feel bad for your cousin, but worse for you.  You get it, but helplessly can't translate it to those you care about.  My prayers are with you and your family.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Little Blue

It's very sad that someone just past 50 is already on the downhill slide.  But it doesn't sound like she'll ever have her 'oh shit' moment, if this is the way she's lived for years.  I know of woman who recently died, after many years of diabetes and I don't know what else.  She ended up in a nursing home, on oxygen, unable to walk.  The doctor tried several years ago to just get her to walk the length of her house a few times day, but that was too much trouble.  She was in her late 60's.

Those of us with positive role models can be thankful.  In the end, we can only change ourselves, and feel sorry for those who can't.