Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill or Rain? SATURDAILIES (Read 45 times)

GC100k

Have obligations this morning. Looks like my choices for a 2.5 hr long run this afternoon are rain or treadmill.

What say you?

I hate both. I'm leaning towards rain. It's been a couple years since I've been on a treadmill, but I could watch football games if I did that. But I really really hate treadmills. Haven't run in rain very often, but that sounds a bit less grievous. For the first time in my life I have a rain jacket that's actually supposed to be waterproof (we'll see). Don't have any rain gear for my bottom half, but I think I'd survive with warmup pants.

Have obligations this morning. Looks like my choices for a 2.5 hr long run this afternoon are rain or treadmill.

What say you?

I hate both. I'm leaning towards rain. It's been a couple years since I've been on a treadmill, but I could watch football games if I did that. But I really really hate treadmills. Haven't run in rain very often, but that sounds a bit less grievous. For the first time in my life I have a rain jacket that's actually supposed to be waterproof (we'll see). Don't have any rain gear for my bottom half, but I think I'd survive with warmup pants just getting wet

^this.

I generally vote for virtually anything over the treadmill. Rain is usually not so bad, pretty sure you won't melt. Also I wonder if there is any rain gear that keeps you dry without making you overheat. If it's warm enough for it to rain, it's warm enough for shorts and too warm for a jacket. I recommend (1) wear a hat with a bill to keep the rain out of your eyes, (2) lube up to minimize chafing. If it's cold rain, hands may go numb which sucks, I don't have a fix for that. My biggest issue with that is a run long enough to need gels; hard to open those things with numb hands.

Dave

LRB

What say you?

I hate both. I'm leaning towards rain. It's been a couple years since I've been on a treadmill, but I could watch football games if I did that. But I really really hate treadmills. Haven't run in rain very often, but that sounds a bit less grievous. For the first time in my life I have a rain jacket that's actually supposed to be waterproof (we'll see). Don't have any rain gear for my bottom half, but I think I'd survive with warmup pants.

I have a running rain jacket and the couple of times I have tried it, I ended up taking the stupid thing off and bagging it (it actually folds into a little bag) because it felt all hot and steamy on the inside like I was wearing plastic.

To the question of rain versus treadmill; I've chosen the former four times this fall including some pitch black, windy runs. Something I would have never done years ago.

Anyway, if it were me, I would wear the jacket until I warm up, then reassess at that point. Because it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 with strides tonight.

I have run in the rain as a hurricane is arriving here, so I would do the rain unless it's cold rain and wind.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

^this.

I generally vote for virtually anything over the treadmill. Rain is usually not so bad, pretty sure you won't melt. Also I wonder if there is any rain gear that keeps you dry without making you overheat. If it's warm enough for it to rain, it's warm enough for shorts and too warm for a jacket. I recommend (1) wear a hat with a bill to keep the rain out of your eyes, (2) lube up to minimize chafing. If it's cold rain, hands may go numb which sucks, I don't have a fix for that. My biggest issue with that is a run long enough to need gels; hard to open those things with numb hands.

After my experience in a monsoon a few weeks ago, where my gloves got soaked and made my hands colder than they otherwise would have been, I would take a spare pair of gloves stashed in a plastic baggie and stowed in the waist or even pinned to my top if possible.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Split the run into 2 parts? Some outside, some on treadmill? If you don't get out right now, you won't be back in time for the noon games.

delicate flower

I ran 10.5 in the cold.  No rain at least...a sunny morning here.  25 degrees tho.  My assignment was to run the last 4 miles at GMP but I ran the entire thing at GMP.  Whatever.  Fuck it.

Re: Rain, I used to hate running in the rain and would avoid it.  Being forced to do an Ironman in a monsoon cured me of that, and now I'll run in pretty much anything because I always think nothing can be worse than racing for 12 hours in that bullshit.

<3

Cyberic

Ran 10.

Running in the rain I've done a lot. Pretty much all advice I'd have has already been given by LRB and DaveP.

Chafing (lube), jacket (overheating) and wet gloves sucking out the heat (bring a spare pair). I also wear a hat with a visor (baseball cap-ish) to keep the water out of my eyes.

If you can get the clothing right, it's not bad at all!

No treadmill unless there's ice. F that rain...it just makes you a little tougher.

Hilly 8mi with my friend through our local state park. There's a 1mi climb (250ft) that we hit pretty hard 2X. 7:18 pace for both. Let's are beat once again

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

GC100k

My wife reminded me of a third option: indoor track at my school. 8 laps to a mile, but I've run there plenty of times and it's okay. There's a basketball tourney going on below this afternoon. She declared that I'm not allowed to run outside because it's too miserable: in the 30s and raining hard. I wear long pants and at least 3 layers on top for anything below 60 degrees; not a fan of cold.

About to head off to and event with my daughter and will decide after that. Leaning toward the indoor track. Watching football on the treadmill is never as interesting as I think it will be. I'd like to see Wisconsin-Michigan, but wouldn't cry if I missed it.

Coastal

What say you?

Rain beats a TM any day.  Much like DavePNW the vast majority of my fall/winter/spring runs are in the rain.  Don't over dress.  A water/wind resistant breathable jacket beats a waterproof one any day. You're going to get wet either way.  The rain itself isn't an issue.  It's wind that chills you when you're wet. Personally, I find tights work better than running pants for that reason.

As for opening gels with numb hands, isn't that what teeth are for? 

LRB

I'd like to see Wisconsin-Michigan, but wouldn't cry if I missed it.

You'd probably cry if you saw it the way the Wolverines have played in some of their games the past two seasons!

As for opening gels with numb hands, isn't that what teeth are for? 

You can open it with your teeth, but you still have to hold it in your hand. Also I usually keep gels in a back zipper pocket of my shorts. I remember one LR in the cold rain; between struggling to grab the little zipper pull & maintain a grip long enough to open the pocket (which is a bit awkward on a good day), and getting the gel packet open, the whole process took probably close to a mile. I literally almost gave up.

Dave

Rain beats a TM any day.  Much like DavePNW the vast majority of my fall/winter/spring runs are in the rain. 

And where do you live? I don't remember.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning peepers.

So yesterday morning my son woke DH up at 4 AM, so I had to compromise this morning and sleep in so DH could get some sleep. It's gorgeous outside except for the rain AND the 15 mph winds......

I took Jetta AND Dorian (in the stroller) and ran 5.3 miles pretty much into the wind..... 15 mph winds.....

No automatic alt text available.

I just hope I have the energy to run 15 tomorrow morning.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)