Beginners and Beyond

The 1st Fridailies (Read 33 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 8 easy miles in hard rain/thunderstorms.  I was planning on a ride this morning, but it was just too shitty for that.  I did have a decent run, so all is well.

I hope everyone has a kickass day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 4 miles tonight.

Hershey is now sick since he saw us taking Bugsy to the vet (he is such a drama queen), so hubby is watching him and will take him to the vet if needed.  Just constipation.  My cat is full of shit again, lol.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

Good morning!

I ran 8 easy miles in hard rain/thunderstorms.  I was planning on a ride this morning, but it was just too shitty for that.  I did have a decent run, so all is well.

I hope everyone has a kickass day!

Right back at you, PR!

Docket, LOL @ your cat being a) a drama queen, and b) full of shit. Big grin Hoping he's able to relieve himself soon.

I've got 6 today. Nothing really exciting.

bluerun

Super B****

I ran 5... 1 mile easy warm-up, 4 x 2 min at 3k effort/1 min easy, 5 min easy, 4 x 30 seconds at mile effort/1 min easy, 1 mile easy cool-down.  Don't even ask.  On the plus side, it felt way harder than it should have, but at least I managed to stay on pace for these.  Never mind that the selected pace was totally arbitrary.

On a semi-related note, why is it so impossible to have a one-way waterproof jacket??  If it keeps rain out and keeps sweat in, you end up soaked anyway, thus defeating the purpose of a jacket.  (I actually didn't need the jacket, it was too warm for that, but I needed the hood because otherwise my hair would run.  Problems.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

On a semi-related note, why is it so impossible to have a one-way waterproof jacket??  If it keeps rain out and keeps sweat in, you end up soaked anyway, thus defeating the purpose of a jacket.  (I actually didn't need the jacket, it was too warm for that, but I needed the hood because otherwise my hair would run.  Problems.)

In my opinion the question should be: why do companies pretend that they can actually make a one-way waterproof jackets?

When these things first came out, I saw all the animations of water rain being kept out, and sweat coming out, and I've never been able to explain how the hell did they manage to do that? I'll believe it when I see it.

20 or so years later, Gore-Tex and all those one-way impermeability fabrics are still marketing stunts to me. Either water goes through, or it doesn't.

LRB

Don't even ask.

I don't know, it made plenty sense to me.

Traditional rain jackets are a contradiction. We only really need them to start the run, so it would be simpler to make them out of disposable biodegradable plastic, that way, you can toss it once you're sufficiently soaked on the inside and have had enough of that shit.

Mine is actually pretty cool. It folds into itself and zips into a bag. It has a strap so I wear it like a purse for the remainder of my run. 

Cyberic

Mine is actually pretty cool. It folds into itself and zips into a bag. It has a strap so I wear it like a purse for the remainder of my run. 

Like a K-Way?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

In my opinion the question should be: why do companies pretend that they can actually make a one-way waterproof jackets?

+1.  I bought an $80 jacket (which was the sales price)... brand to remain nameless.... I could have saved $79.90 and just used this....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

bluerun

Super B****

I don't know, it made plenty sense to me.

Traditional rain jackets are a contradiction. We only really need them to start the run, so it would be simpler to make them out of disposable biodegradable plastic, that way, you can toss it once you're sufficiently soaked on the inside and have had enough of that shit.

That makes one of us!

If you're going after getting sufficiently soaked, no need to bother with a jacket in the first place!  I actually have a pretty decent one that's not fully waterproof, just water-resistant (so it's actually breathable), but for a rain like today, it would have been perfect... except that it doesn't have a hood.  I just needed a hood!!

And another thing: why do companies keep calling pink red?  THAT IS NOT RED DAMMIT.  I mean, look at it.  It's coral, at best.    (The other option I bought is also not to my liking... they call it "deep sea" but it's navy blue, and I refuse to wear black and navy together, so.)

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

+1.  I bought an $80 jacket (which was the sales price)... brand to remain nameless.... I could have saved $79.90 and just used this....

The plastic poncho I wore in Boston was actually not bad in terms of breathability because the armholes are huge and the whole thing is like a tent, so you won't drown in your own sweat.  Also great at creating wind resistance.  And the hood wouldn't stay on.

chasing the impossible

And another thing: why do companies keep calling pink red?  THAT IS NOT RED DAMMIT.  I mean, look at it.  It's coral, at best.    (The other option I bought is also not to my liking... they call it "deep sea" but it's navy blue, and I refuse to wear black and navy together, so.)

Still bitter about your Boston jacket?

And yeah,I've never worn a jacket to run unless it's <25 degrees. Even then it traps in all the sweat. If it's raining, you just get wet.

Dave

delicate flower

'Morning!  No workout this morning so I slept in.  Will run 3 easy miles later.

And yeah,I've never worn a jacket to run 

+1.  When it's bitter cold, I'll just wear extra base layers.  When it's cold and raining, I get wet.

<3

onemile

+1.  When it's bitter cold, I'll just wear extra base layers.  When it's cold and raining, I get wet.

Even when it's 5 degrees out? I can't imagine not wearing a jacket on those cold days.

bluerun

Super B****

Still bitter about your Boston jacket?

And yeah,I've never worn a jacket to run unless it's <25 degrees. Even then it traps in all the sweat. If it's raining, you just get wet.

Nah, it's not as bad in real life as it looks in the pictures.  And they never claimed it was red.  Well, the men's color is called "hi-res red / noble red" even though it's screaming orange, but the women's is called "real coral."  Which it is.  And, coincidentally, it is almost the exact same color as this one, which is supposedly "vizi red."  Uh huh.

I honestly don't mind getting wet if it's warm out.  If I could have worn the hood without the jacket, that would have been great.

chasing the impossible

delicate flower

Even when it's 5 degrees out? I can't imagine not wearing a jacket on those cold days.

Correct.  I have a couple of tech hoodies that I wear for cold weather (anywhere from 35 degrees down).  When it gets really cold, I just wearing a thicker base layer.  My body doesn't get cold...the feet and hands are my problem areas.

ETA:  8 degrees with a steady -10 wind chill.  Note the frost on my head.  Big grin

<3