Beginners and Beyond

Will it be another wet weekend for our Penguins? (Read 13 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

So far it's beautiful outside - cool, windy and cloudy -but the black clouds are gathering and the forecast is for thunderstorms.  My back is better, but we have company coming, so I probably won't run this afternoon. How about the rest of you?

PAD - I hope the foot is better.  Do you know PF stretches?  Do you have a ball to roll the foot over?

PADRunner

We had rain here this morning and overcast for the rest of the day I think.

Ginny - I don't know of any specific stretches for PF. I have a lacrosse ball I use for rolling.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Today I volunteered at a NYRR race.  I was at mile 5ish of a 10k.  It was amazing because the elites passed by about 22 or 23 minutes into the race.  The back of the packers didn't pass for a long long time later.  The race started at 9am, and I was freed from my post (at mile 5) around 10:50.

I haven't been running recently.  My sciatica is flaring up and I don't like running when I can't feel my right leg/foot all that well.  I can do it but (a) my back hurts and (b) it requires a lot more concentration when I'm feeling right sided numbness in my leg.  The rest of the day I'll probably relax and look at more real estate listings.  I'm thinking of starting to go through and purge extra stuff from the apartment since we'll be moving sometime in September.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Jill - I know someone from another forum who volunteered for that race as well.  My only volunteer gig was at registration.  On a nice day, it would be fun to be out in the course and watching the variety of runners.  Sorry about the sciatica.  I get it occasionally - mostly when we're travelling and I sit too long without getting up and walking around.

PAD - I think that any exercises that stretch the feet, like rising on your toes or dropping your heels or picking up towels with your toes, might help the PF if it's not too bad.  It's such a variable problem: some people can get back to normal activity quickly and some get sidelined for a long time. I've known some who ended up with the night splint. I hope you've caught it quickly.

I ended up doing a short test run this afternoon after the rain stopped.  Once again I learned something I already knew: running after a big meal, even a few hours afterwards, is really hard.  I felt like a lumbering hippo and at one point I thought I was going to lose my lunch. My back behaved and my hamstrings/pelvis gave only low level twinges, but it was a hard 4.3 miles.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I swear I posted yesterday but I must not have hit submit, grrr.  Ran 8 on the TM last night, 15 coming up on the TM soon.

Ginny, I am glad you were able to run after the thunderstorm forecast.

PAD, hope you did not get rained in as well.

Jill, sorry about your sciatica.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Race for Humanity 5K this morning with DW.  Inaugural event for the Illinois Holocaust Museum, which is about a mile from our house so we could walk there.  Perfect morning and it  was a good first race with a few hundred runners.  No results but we were under 30:00 which was my goal.  No PR.

Glad the back is better, Ginny.

Sorry about the sciatica, Jill.  Good luck house hunting.

Hi PAD and Docket.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - good job on the 5k.  Don't you use a GPS watch?

Damaris - good luck with the 15. On the TM?

The Beer Runners are having an afternoon run today, which is unusual. I'll join them in a little while for four very windy miles. At least it will be flat, since it's in town.

Docket_Rocket

Yes. No outside runs until December if we are lucky, November.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry - good job on the 5k.  Don't you use a GPS watch?

Damaris - good luck with the 15. On the TM?

The Beer Runners are having an afternoon run today, which is unusual. I'll join them in a little while for four very windy miles. At least it will be flat, since it's in town.

I do use GPS which showed 29:30.   That's about a minute short of a PR.  This was my 3rd 5K ever.  Back to the HM's next weekend.