Beginners and Beyond

Lake Perry 50K RR (Read 59 times)

RabbitChaser

What: Lake Perry Rocks 50K

When: October 19, 2013

Where: Lake Perry, Meriden, Kansas

Starting Temp: 32F

Finish Temp: 62F

Fueling Strategy: Tailwind nutrition as the mainstay, supplemented by real food at the aid stations

Goal: sub-7 hours

Finish Time: 6:07:19

This race was a blast and I will definitely do another one. Granted, I'll make sure I am adequately trained to race the next one. I am hooked.

If you want to read the full report and see the pictures, click HERE.

Eric

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Man, that was beautiful.  I loved the look of the trail until I saw some of those rocks at mile 11.  Always a chance to eat it when rocks are around (as you did) Wink

Glad you made it thru despite the rock in the shoe, mud, bruised foot, fall, forearm, knee, hip, etc.

Very beautiful, scenic run!!  Congrats on such an epic jaunt!

P.S.  How's the knee??

Randy

Just B.S.

I am jealous. Epic fun!

The closest 50k race to where I live is a 5-6 hour drive and we have never been able to fit it

into our season's race schedule. Would love to do one someday.

You had a great adventure on a beautiful route and came in under you goal.

Win, win win!! Congrats!!

Great report!  I'm jealous.  I just did a 5k trail race this weekend, so I've got a long way to go.

How do you manage taking all the photos?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I am jealous. Epic fun!

The closest 50k race to where I live is a 5-6 hour drive and we have never been able to fit it

into our season's race schedule. Would love to do one someday.

You had a great adventure on a beautiful route and came in under you goal.

Win, win win!! Congrats!!

Aren't you in the Atlantic Provinces? Have you checked into these two in NS?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Damn, that's some serious goal crushing.  Training helps, but hey, if you have a blast regardless, why not get out there.  The pictures are awesome.  I can totally commiserate about the muddy sections of trail races and adding weight to the shoes - brutal.  Sounded as though you felt a lot of different pains out there; great job getting through them.  Nicely done.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Just B.S.

Aren't you in the Atlantic Provinces? Have you checked into these two in NS?

Yes we are.  I heard about the Valley Harvest just a few weeks ago. It's only about a 3.5 hour drive

but  I think they just added the 50k component this year or at least this year was the first time I had

heard about it and too late to add it into our race season schedule..  

Inverness is more than an 8 hour drive for us. Closer to go to Maine and do the Farm-to-Farm 50k

Mostly our issue for the last several years is that we already do so many races (and several big trips)

each year that we need to find one and put it into the travel/race plans well in advance.

Next year is a full in May and our first 1/2 Iron in July. Not sure if we are going to do a fall full marathon

so next August/Sept would be a good time to finally get in a 50k.

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!  Great job.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

You beat your goal by nearly 53 minutes Shocked.

Amazing job, Rabbit.

B-Plus

Beautiful looking course. Congrats on crushing your goal time.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That looked like a lot of fun. Painful at times, but fun. Those were some nice pictures on a beautiful course. Have you considered running with those things that go over your feet to prevent rocks from going in your shoes? I think they are called Gators. Well done and great RR.

RabbitChaser

redrum - Thanks! The knee feels pretty good. There is slight discomfort at times, but no issues walking up or down stairs.

Just B.S. - Thanks! Those trails are some of my favorite in this area. It truly is a beautiful place to run.

granite_running - Thanks! Congrats on your 5K! That's how I started on trails and I never looked back. Smile For the pics, I raise the camera up and take the photo, no aiming, just point in the general direction and let the camera do the work. Smile

So_Im_A_Runner - Thanks! I agree, if you have a blast, you might as well get out there!

Damaris - Thanks!

Jay716 - Thanks!

B-Plus - Thanks!

Jack - Thanks! I actually almost bought a pair before the race. I'll probably invest in some before a winter race.

Eric

happylily

I agree with everyone else, that is a gorgeous course! I can see why you've become hooked. Smile You more than reached your goal, you surpassed it in a big way! Congratulations!!!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

You sure smashed that goal! Fantastic job, and this race looks so fun and absolutely beautiful!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

RabbitChaser

lily - Thanks!

Cherie - Thanks! The race is a blast. Smile