Beginners and Beyond

Running in warm weather, does it ever get easier? (Read 331 times)

Docket_Rocket

Long time Florida runner here...never mind how long...just a long time ok.  I never have gotten "used to it".  I just know that it is going to be hot.  I still prefer it to a TM run though. 

I feel that way.  It never feels easier and we run in this for 9-10 months.  I am not even running any faster (in training) than I did 2 years ago, but so long as the races get better, I guess all that suffering is worth it, no?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

2011 was my first full year in Miserablesippi & the heat & humidity was sucking out my soul.

2012 has been my second full year in Miserablesippi and the heat & humidity has been sucking out my soul.

I'm not looking forwards to another soul sucking year in 2013 but guess what, I know its going to suck in Miserablesippi.

Summer of 1995 I was living and working in the Carribean not too far off the Tropic of Cancer, I'd start out for runs about 4:30 AM and the suck there was never as bad as Miserablesippi is currently. Maybe being 17 years younger helped.

Marathon training with morning humidity at fog inducing levels and 48 degrees will never suck as much as fog inducing levels and 80 degrees before sunrise. I am no longer training for marathons ever and the suck is part of that reason.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Sloooow.

My first summer in Louisiana, I fainted several times from the heat. I'd never experienced heat and humidity like that before. Most my vacations previously were to Italy, Belgium, France, usually out of tourist season when the temperatures were mild. I remember a vacation in Wales where the temperatures got record high, 30 C where we were. That's 86F!

I'm sure I've already changed a lot with my temperature tolerance since I first got here, now I need to work on the running!

Docket_Rocket

2011 was my first full year in Miserablesippi & the heat & humidity was sucking out my soul.

2012 has been my second full year in Miserablesippi and the heat & humidity has been sucking out my soul.

I'm not looking forwards to another soul sucking year in 2013 but guess what, I know its going to suck in Miserablesippi.

Summer of 1995 I was living and working in the Carribean not too far off the Tropic of Cancer, I'd start out for runs about 4:30 AM and the suck there was never as bad as Miserablesippi is currently. Maybe being 17 years younger helped.

Marathon training with morning humidity at fog inducing levels and 48 degrees will never suck as much as fog inducing levels and 80 degrees before sunrise. I am no longer training for marathons ever and the suck is part of that reason.

Try that for 37 years and you'll realize that it never changes.

And I moved from PR in 2004 and over there is even worse, like you said.  I cannot wait to do the Marathon Puerto Rico next year (insert sarcasm).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page