Beginners and Beyond

HM question - Would y'all think I was crazy if.... (Read 328 times)

happylily

No. Not crazy at all! I think it's cool, in fact. :-) Go Tom! You may surprised yourself in the second HM six weeks later. I PRd in my Nov. marathon, six weeks after my Sept. one. It's like the legs still remember what to do, but do it better!

P.S. Maybe not younger, but handsomer! (I know, it's not a word... but it should be! :-))

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

A lot depends on your goals and on how hard you plan to run them.  I could jog two marathons in two days if my only goal was to cover the distance.  OTOH, running a marathon all out takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for me to recover.  A half marathon is different.  I raced a half marathon all out on November 11.  It is now December 5 and I feel like I could race one all out again if I wanted.  I think six weeks is plenty of time to run both all out if that's what you want.  OTOH, I know good and well that I couldn't mentally prepare myself for that level of discomfort again that quickly.  I sort of have to forget how badly the last race hurt before I'm ready to race that distance again.  So, if I were doing two half marathons six weeks apart, I'd target one as a true goal race and plan to run the other as a marathon practice pace with the objective of hitting every single split within 5 seconds of my next marathon goal pace.  So, if my goal pace for my next marathon was 8:00, I'd want every split in that half marathon to be between 7:55 and 8:05.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

cmb4314

I ran my first HM and my second HM two weeks apart.....and I was doing not even 20mpw at the time, and survived.  This was not a good idea, clearly, but even then I had recovered enough to put in a decent effort for the second one.

6 weeks apart for an experienced runner is totally reasonable.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Not crazy at all. Here in Indy they're promoting the 'Month of May Club' where you run the Indy 500 Half on 5-4 and then the Geist Half on 5-18. 

That's only 2 weeks apart, so i'd say you're good to go!

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

runmomto3boys

I say go for it, Tom!!!

Another vote to go for it, Tom. Others have talked about their back-to-sorta-back full and half marathons.. throw me in that group. So I think 6 weeks is plenty of time to do great in both. Good luck!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Heck, I ran a 25K one day and a half the next day.  As long as you are running enough base mileage that you have enough time to recover between races, you should be golden.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I'm officially signed up for both!

The first one, the River Run HM, is in Cleveland, Ohio. It follows the Metroparks all-purpose trails paralleling the Rocky River. Since it goes downstream, there is a net elevation loss overall. I think that will be my primary goal race.

6 weeks later is the 4 bridges half marathon right here in Chattanooga. I've run on most parts of the course. No nasty hills, but there are a couple of moderate hills (one of which I ran today). I might be able to PR both, but the downhill run should be easier, if all else is equal.

My plan will be to train over the summer for the first on, then take an easy week, ease back into training and re-do maybe the last 3 weeks of training, then taper and run the second. Sounds easy on paper. Smile

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I also have 2 15K races this spring, which are also about 6 weeks apart. Shouldn't be too much of a problem since the 15K isn't as big a race as a half. I intend to approach my training about the same way, though I think that the second one is my primary goal race.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Anomalous

Yeah. You're crazy like the rest of us. I ran my last two half marathons within 14 days of each other. Being crazy has it's perks and exclusive clubs Shocked

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Dreamn

Heck, I ran a 25K one day and a half the next day.  As long as you are running enough base mileage that you have enough time to recover between races, you should be golden.

Yay!  I'm glad you're here, I love your advice in MT and MRT.  And no, not crazy at all.  Go for it!

Shakedown Street

I ran #1 and #2 9 days apart. Actually the weather sucked on #2...and I did better. Recovery was a nightmare after #1 (was sick), but after #2 was a breeze.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Love the Half

Yeah. You're crazy like the rest of us. I ran my last two half marathons within 14 days of each other. Being crazy has it's perks and exclusive clubs Shocked

I have never done anything like that nor am I likely to ever do anything like that.  I like to race at or near my peak unless I'm using one of the races as a training run.  I don't enter races just to enter them.  I enter them for very specific reasons.  So I am not crazy like that.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

xor

I once ran a half and a week later ran another half.  And PRed the second one.

Oh yeah?  Well I once ran a half and then ran another half the next day.

Oh yeah? Well I once ran a half, had superman fly around the earth really really fast to turn back time, and ran another half at the exact same time.

Ok, I didn't do that last one.  But it looks like I did something damn close in 2007 because there are race results for me at Bay State (MA) and Long Beach (CA) held on the same day and overlappy, even with time zones.  (how did that happen?  ahhhhhhhhh.... magic)

Anyway.  It'll be fun.  Enjoy yourself.

Ok, I didn't do that last one.  But it looks like I did something damn close in 2007 because there are race results for me at Bay State (MA) and Long Beach (CA) held on the same day and overlappy, even with time zones.  (how did that happen?  ahhhhhhhhh.... magic)

Anyway.  It'll be fun.  Enjoy yourself.

Pretty wild dude. How many frequent miles have you racked up over the past few years?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

xor

Pretty wild dude. How many frequent miles have you racked up over the past few years?

Not many.  I BURNED THROUGH A TON of old ff miles from my corporate life to travel to races.

Anyway, specific to that thing, it's a party trick.  I didn't actually do it.  I was registered for both races (long story), but really only ran Bay State.  However, my name is basically as common as John Smith and there were at least two people with my name registered for Long Beach.  And they gave my packet/chip to the wrong dude.  But it is my result (age/city).