Beginners and Beyond

Week 32: Penguins are wiggling their toes ... um ... flippers ... um ... what? (08/05-08/11) (Read 5 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

That's right, kids, today is wiggle your toes day!!  So pull off your shoes, and take those toes for a spin!

It's also National Fresh Breath day, which might be more apropos for penguins (hello, fish breath!), but not as much fun.

So I am working like crazy this week, up until Friday, which I have off (along with next Monday, so be forewarned).  This weekend is Women's Harmony Brigade.  They invite 40 women from each barbershop voice part, and basically you spend the weekend singing with as many quartets as you possibly can.  They sent us 10 (hard!!) songs to learn in April, and I've pretty much got mine down, except for a minor glitch here and there on a song or two.  One of my chorus (and quartet!) friends is going with me, so it'll be all good.  But I have a lot to get done before then!

Sweaty ride in this morning, but no rain!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I hate Mondays and this one more.  I have 6 and weights tonight and I cannot wait to leave the office, ha.

HopesMom, grrr.  This week sounds busy for you.  Were you able to bike to work today?

And every time I hear wiggle your toe, this is what comes to mind:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yep, biked in all sweatily.  There was a 20% chance of rain today.  And of course, on one of my trips to the potty, I looked outside and it was raining.  How do we not get (much) rain with an 80% forecast, and it rains at 20%?  I shoulda gone into weather.  They can be wrong all the time and nobody minds!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My throat is sore but I feel like I burned or bit the lower part of the mouth, so maybe it is that.  I have Pilates and either 0 or 7 tonight, depending on hubby's TM run and what time I get home.

HopesMom, glad you were able to.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning!!  Hope your throat feels better, Docket!!  I've been having more drainage than usual, don't know if it's allergies, but I've added a neti pot rinse to my morning routine.  I think it helps, though who know, maybe it's just psychological!

Sweaty ride in again today.  My tech can only start at the beginning of a pay period, so he can start on August 10 or August 25.  It depends on when the background check comes through.  Part of me hopes he can start on the 10th, because I have a lot of work to do in the lab, and it's starting to get backed up.  Part of me hopes it's the 25th, because I'm out of the office on the 10th and 13th, and how lame is it that your new boss is gone and you're alone in the lab when you start your new job?  Right now it's a wait and see thing.

Docket_Rocket

I hate those neti pots and never use them.  But I've been the same; I think it's allergies too since our allergens are high 24/7.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope the hire doesn't happen until you're there. It would be awful to start a job and be left to solo on the first day.

My sinuses have been active lately, but one of my allergies is cut grass and, with all the rain, the grass has been growing like crazy, so everybody is constantly mowing. I'm not bad indoors, but running outdoors it is very hard to breathe.

D - I hope you got to run today. How did you burn your mouth? Hot food or acidic?

TM run today. 6.4 miles.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, crazy lab day today, so a quick fly-by.  I have 10 minutes to finish eating lunch before I have to hippety-skip back into the lab!!

Rode my trike in today, discovered someone had whiffed my car's back bumper.  DH says he noticed marks Monday night.  Master of observation I ain't!!

Docket_Rocket

I am swamped in court. Save me!!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - sorry about the car

D - sorry work is being insane

AFM: hot and humid 5 mile trail run, but at least there was shade.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7.  Working from home today and hoping it's quieter than the last 10 days.

HopesMom, ugh at the car.  Hoping it's minor.  Do you leave it in a parking lot or on a side street?  I don't recall where you were parking while on the trike.

Ginny, nice trail run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I park on the street, between an assisted living facility and a funeral home (), so I could've been smacked by almost anybody.  There's usually only me and one other car parking there when I get there, and I park a good bit in front of White Sedan Person because I have to get the trike out, but I know the street parking fills up pretty good when there's a funeral.  So who knows?  It's not something I'm going to rush to fix, because I'm sure the bumper will see worse.  But of course, I just paid off the car!!

Well, things are all in place for my new hire, who starts tomorrow, so now I can spill the beans.

Drum roll please ...

I hired the guy!  I was sort of reluctant, because I interviewed a Korean woman, an Indian woman, and a white guy.  Seriously, I have to go with the stereotype?  But then I pretended that he was a purple alien, and looked at who I would choose if that were the case.  It came down to the two math questions I asked during the interview, which involved calculations we do on a daily basis.  Nobody got both right.  Two candidates got one right, and of the one they got wrong, the guy's work showed he was on the right track, just got bogged down in the zeroes.  The other women's work showed she was nowhere near the right track.  So I hired the purple alien.

And of course I'm out of town tomorrow and Monday, and he has to start tomorrow, because it's the beginning of a pay period.  I've deputized another faculty member to shepherd him around, make sure he has a lab key, and put him to work doing stuff in his lab if needed.

Docket_Rocket

Nice.  I assume he wasn't the one that was gunning for your position, right?

Damaris

Fundraising Page