Beginners and Beyond

Short Week Monday Penguins! (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Success doesn't come to you... you go to it." --Marva Collins

PADRunner

Morning Penguins. RD and Dentist today.

My training mileage is starting increasing and I was wondering how others get it in during the week. I really can't get much over 5 done in the mornings and am to tired to much more than that in the evenings. Would it be ok to split up easy runs?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have weights after a dentist appointment.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I DON'T have a dentist appointment today, thank goodness!!  But I do have much work craziness over the next couple of days -- one instrument down that I'm trying to troubleshoot, and a significant portion of a guy's grant proposal that he dropped in my lap last night.  Yeah, it's due on Wednesday.  So I'm fixing to hippety-skip into the lab and get crackin'!!

Oh, and I made my cheesecake yesterday, except for the fudge mirror on the top.  It looks and smells great, and the batter was pretty tasty!

Sorry, Scotty, no time for cookies!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

6 miles done. I now know how it feels to have cold eyes. It was 19 degrees. Now we are off to hike Angels Landing. Good stuff.

From the Internet.

Morning! I woke up late to a lot of rain, so I brought the kid to school and came back home for a nap. Everything I need to do in person this week can get done tomorrow, just computer/writing/data type stuff at home today. I've been taking Mondays off but I'm probably going to try to get in 5-6 sometime this afternoon, it's raining but it's 60F - shorts weather! The next two days are going to be iffy weather (snow, blech)/limited time and I will likely end up taking one or both days off, so might as well go out today.

I signed up for the Holiday Running Streak on the main board D: I've been doing well on 6 days for the last couple weeks, today will be my 7th day in a row and I don't feel like it's been a stress on my legs at all, so I figure I should be able to get out for one single mile on rest days just for the sake of doing it. Will make all this easy-pace-only running a little more interesting!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

PAD and DR - I likewise had a dentist appointment today.  No cavities!  Yay!

Heading out to run 4 shortly.  It is incredibly hot for this time of year.  I may break out the shorts today :-)  It is currently 66 outside and quite humid.  It definitely doesn't feel like the end of November that's for sure.

Lauren - I'm also thinking about streaking this winter, though for me I've only consistently been doing 5 days a week so it'll be a real challenge.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Short week is right!  I will be out of my workplace in another 20 minutes and then am off for two weeks!

Gail and I are off to Washington State.  Will be getting on the plane this afternoon.  The house-sitter is in place to watch our house and take care of our kitties, we're all packed and ready to go.  Even the weather is improving in Wenatchee a bit now, thank goodness, high for my Turkey Trot on Thursday there is now predicted in the 40s instead of the 30s, yay!  I hate cold weather!

Don't know how much computer access I will have at my in-laws, so everyone have a great Turkey Day and I'll 'see' y'all when I get back!

Oh yeah, and I did these two 5Ks over the weekend.  I would have had a perfect weekend except that my idiot Redskins lost and the Giants let the Damn Dallas Cowboys win in the last 3 minutes of the game, sheesh.   Anyway, reports and photos:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/823004a3c1164498a64819d016adb8df/resume#focus

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/19bba7df687c46f588ce15324f63446f/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Looks like it's dentist appointment day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Wow, so many dental appointments today...PAD, Damaris, and Sapf, hope they all went smoothly.

Lauren, good job on the streak.  How's the new HRM working out?

Scotty, safe travels and Happy Thanksgiving!

I ran 10.4 this morning.  I went out for 8 but felt good so kept going.  I LOVE days like that!  More typically I go out for 8 and only run 6.

tracilynn

No dentist for me today. shoo.

I did a 5k on the treadmill to see how close I could get to 29:59 and I ended up with 32:30 huge failure but whatever. I will keep trying once /wk until I can do it!  +1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down so I will call it a 5.1 mile tempo.

Beautiful breezy sunny day in the 60s here

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

sapf - I would say DO IT! but I'm not even sure it's a good idea myself, haha Smile Not a bad time of year to try it out though - no races on the horizon, motivation to get out even when the weather sucks, etc.

Brilliant - HRM hasn't arrived yet, it finally shipped and it's supposed to be here Wednesday!

HsM - mmmm cheesecake! I'm making dessert for Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws, debating between pumpkin cheesecake and this pecan pumpkin pie. I would make both but they aren't big dessert people and then I'd be forced to eat leftover dessert for breakfast for a week!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Lauren - yep I'll give it a shot.  I do have a HM in January, but I'm still not in "racing" shape so I'm treating it more as a supported LR as I train to maybe be back in shape for my March HM.

In related news: there might be snow on Wednesday night -- so I'll get to kick off that holiday running streak by running in the snow.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

on my way to badass

I'm going to do the holiday run streak too. 3 for me today and it was ugly. DH shot a doe on Saturday and it consumed the whole weekend.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

tracilynn

Is the holiday streak from Thanksgiving to New Year's day?

~~~~~~~

Traci