Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins (Read 21 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I took a rest day yesterday re: wind and sun.  There are no blinds in the gym for me to be able to run on the treadmill comfortably when it is sunny and I wasn't cool enough to wear sunglasses on the TM.

Today I'm heading out for a group run with Nike.  They usually give out yummy treats and such so it should be a fun run.  I can also check a bag if I want, which I'm contemplating.  That way I can have even more eye drops on me after the run. I don't think I'll check my prescription drops because if they lose the bag that would be terrible, but a nice clean shirt and pants after a run are always nice.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Sapf- Have a good group run!

I'm at day 2 of 3 of my training. Yesterday was really good. Lots of feedback I can use for weight watchers or teaching.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning sapf and Zel.

Stay dry and safe, PAD and Scotty.

Heading into the city today to help DD with her new apartment.  Possible mystery miles later.

Have a great weekend !!!

GinnyinPA

sapf - I hope the group run went well.

Z - I'm glad the WW seminars are going well for you.  Are they rolling out a new program?  You've spent more time out of town lately than home.

Jerry - have fun with your daughter and your mystery miles.  Maybe you'll see Melanie when you're on your run.

Scotty, Sly and PAD - stay safe.

AFM:  I'll probably run 5 or 6 later.  DH's back is worse, so we probably won't be doing any packing or painting today.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ran the Halloween HM today as my LR.  Ended up running my fastest HM in three years and definitely a post-surgery PR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

I ran parts of the Dallas, London and Berlin marathons on the TM this morning.

Looks like Scotty's getting the worst of it right now.

Brilliant

Good Morning Penguins!

Jill, your run sounds fun; hope you had a good time.

Zel, I'm glad your training is useful!

Damaris, congrats!!

PAD, nice running.

Jerry & Ginny - enjoy your running!

AFM - I have a 10 mile race tomorrow.  It's my first, so I have no idea how to pace it.  Predictors say anywhere between 9:20-9:47 pace - that's a huge difference!  I might just split it and go out at 9:30-9:35.  Actually, can I be frank here?  I have a friend who's running tomorrow who's been acting weirdly competitive lately.  I want to start out super fast and lose her by mile 2.  OK, I know that's not a wise race strategy.  I'm just annoyed at something she said this morning re: pace.  Why are friendships so complicated?  (my husband says it's only women who have complicated friendships...)

LRB

Morning Pens!

'Sup.

Regarding your question about mileage on race shoes from the other day, my marathon shoes usually will have less than 50 miles on them. But that is where I am today after 3 marathons, where I have multiple pairs, styles and types of unworn shoes in boxes.

When I was where you are, training for my first marathon back in 2012. I raced in shoes that had about 350 miles on them. Even though I had other shoes with less mileage on them, the shoes I ultimately chose were the ones I ran all my long runs in, and therefore felt the most confident despite the higher mileage.

For me, that is what the first marathon comes down to; being confident. So whatever helps you to that end, that is the route you go. If confidence is of no issue to you, then go with the ones you feel most comfortable in.

hog4life

5k race with the Angels,  got second in AG, the lady pushing with me got second in AG too, time was 25:14.

Robert31320

Team TJ

That's BadAss while pushing!  Nice job.

5k race with the Angels,  got second in AG, the lady pushing with me got second in AG too, time was 25:14.

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

Looks like today is being a good race day. Congratulations to Damaris and Mitch.

Allison - what did your friend say that made you mad?  I think for a 10 mile race you run slightly faster than HM pace. So maybe start at HM pace for the first few miles then speed up if it feels comfortable?  I've never done 10 miles, but I did do a 15k once.  I never looked at my watch, I just ran by finding a pace I thought I could hold and then trying to reel in the people ahead of me.  I was completely wiped at the end, but it was fun.

PAD - that's a fancy treadmill to have all those routes programmed in.  Fun.

I ended up with 7 today and my highest mileage week since my April marathon.  Passed 1500 for the year too - my B goal. (Originally I said 1200, then 1500, now it's 1800.)

LRB

That's BadAss while pushing!  Nice job.

+1

And six days after a marathon FFS.

Philliefan33

3.5 miles today. I didn't feel like running at all so only intended to do two miles, but once I got going it felt great.   It made for my highest weekly mileage in a long time.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats, Mitch and D.

Congrats PAD, on Berlin, London, Dallas Smile

Are you training for HM's again, Margo?    Philly is still on out list to see the Barnes Museum.