Beginners and Beyond

Time to toss the shoes Thursday Penguins (Read 21 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The shoes I wore yesterday hurt the upper part of my left foot which happened the last time I wore them as well.  I gave them another chance because I thought maybe I'd tied them weird but I'd completely relaced them before yesterday's run and my left foot is once again hurting... so it is just time to put them into retirement.  I got about 330 miles out of them, which is a bit lower than normal, and the tread and stuff on them is still reasonable, but with my new high deductible health insurance plan the cost of one doctor's visit could buy me a couple of pairs of new shoes :-P

So penguins - how long do your shoes normally last?  Usually after I'm done with shoes as running shoes I still wear them as walking around shoes, so I generally get like 400  miles of running and then 200 or so miles of walking out of each pair.  These can't even be used as walking shoes at this point.

Later I'm headed out for 8 miles.

Lastly - did any penguins apply for Chicago?  Good luck to anyone who did :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off Jill.

I start looking to replace shoes at 300-350 miles.  There is only one kind of shoe I can wear and it is never available on the discount retailer websites.  So I go to my LRS and try on every alternative and buying the same shoe as always.  Usually ordering it because my width isn't in stock.  That is way more than you wanted to know.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off Jill.

I start looking to replace shoes at 300-350 miles.  There is only one kind of shoe I can wear and it is never available on the discount retailer websites.  So I go to my LRS and try on every alternative and buying the same shoe as always.  Usually ordering it because my width isn't in stock.  That is way more than you wanted to know.

Is it ever available on Amazon?  Once in awhile amazon has fire sales on shoes.  You can use camelcamelcamel.com to make a price alert and save money that way :-)

PADRunner

Morning. I took a RD yesterday and not feeling to much like running this morning either, dark and rainy. Maybe I'll get a few when the sun comes out.

I've gone from 480-800 on shoes. I try to keep 3 pair in rotation and they seem to last longer that way.

on my way to badass

Nope, not on Amazon either.  It's alright.  I like the LRS and want it to stay in business.

I have gone over 500 on shoes.  I start shopping at 300ish miles.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I started tracking them last year and my Adrenalines have 700, 200, and 0 miles.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very nice run/walk this morning.   I thought I did about 3 miles, but when I went back and measured the route I did I found out I had actually done 3.3 miles.  My adductor and piriformis almost behaved themselves normally this morning so it is getting better thankfully.

Well, I work at a university so we have a pretty relaxed atmosphere, so definitely toss the shoes once in a while.  My shoes are usually off as I sit at my computer and do my work.  Very relaxing.   As far as my running shoes, usually about 300 miles for me.  But since I only run about 15 - 20 miles a week, my running shoes tend to last me a very long time - especially as I have 12 pairs that are in my rotation.

Dang, Jerry, 700 miles on one pair of shoes?   Surprised you can't really literally feel the road in those when you run.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

My doc says letting my shoes go longer might have been one of the things that messed up my leg.  So I am under strict orders to replace them after 300 miles.  I had been 4 miles away from getting my first pair to 500.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, my DC trip was a success, interesting work and such.  I had a train ride back home scheduled for 4:50, and I got to Union Station at 1:30, so I commenced to sitting around.  But then it turned out there was a brush fire up in NY, delaying trains.  So I called DH and asked if he'd drive up and get me.  He did, and I ended up getting home around 10:30, which was exhausting, but ok.  Then he let Dusty out to pee before bed, and Dusty came back in with both front paws bleeding freely.  We took him to the emergency vet, and it turned out he'd gashed both of his front paws way up between the pads.  She had to put him to sleep to stitch them up, so we left him there overnight.  Since I got home at 1:00 and was completely frazzled, I bailed on work yesterday too.  Dusty came home yesterday morning around 7:00, and we all basically sat around the house and cuddled him up.  Poor puppy!!  He gets the bandages off his feet tomorrow, but the stitches will take up to two weeks to dissolve.  He's on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, but by this morning he was pretty perky.  Convincing such an athletic, high-energy dog that he can't go for a walk is going to be a problem!

Jill -- I used to wear VFF's, and you never know what you're going to get out of those.  Basically as long as there aren't holes in them that bother you, you keep wearing them!

Stone -- hey there!!  

PAD -- Wow, you're a high-mileage shoe wearer!!

Jerryb -- Laughing at the 0 miles Adrenalines!!

scotty -- glad your butt's feeling better!!

Zelanie -- Did your doc write you a prescription for new shoes? 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

RD for me but I'm going to the gym for some core stuff. Tomorrow is a travel day and then it's time to chill in my rental until race day. I will likely poke about town, eat stuff, do a recovery run and strides, etc...  Just chillin'.  Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4:1 minute run/walk with DW, 3.3 miles.  Ran on 200 mile shoes due to the above discussion.  DW is feeling good and planning to run/walk the Illinois HM...Yay !!!

HsM, glad the puppy is okay.  What did he step on?

Jill.

Penguin Power!

8 turned into 6 instead.  Really wasn't feeling it today.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I read an interesting article about the correlation between training and marathon times: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2016/apr/21/sub-3-marathon-data-strava-london

Some of those weekly mileages seem astoundingly low for marathon training - maybe people aren't logging all of their runs or something.  An average of 14 or 18 miles per week for the 12 weeks prior to a marathon?!?

GinnyinPA

Jill - that's crazy. According to those averages, I should be able to run a sub- 3 hour marathon. I  averaged 40 mpw and peaked at 55. Yet I doubt I'll ever get sub-4. I wonder if those people do a couple of runs a week on the TM that don't count with Strava.

As to the QOD - I usually wear my shoes about 500 miles before retiring them or turning them into daily walkers. I currently have 6 pairs I run in. I always laughed at Damaris and her multitude of shoes, but after dealing twice with favorite shoes that were either not made any more or that were changed so they no longer worked for me, I decided it was good to have more variety, so I have a backup.  I was in a near panic when I couldn't find the shoes I wanted for my last marathon. Like SF, I have wide feet, and the shoes I like almost never go seriously on sale, though I can get discounts at Roadrunners.

StoneFence - which shoes do you wear?

PAD - I hope the rain stops so you can run.  Are you having the kind of flooding they got in Houston?

Scotty - that's a lot of pairs of shoes.  Do you have a dedicated running clothes closet?

HopesMom - do you know what Dusty cut his feet on?  That's scary.  I hope he heals quickly.

Jack - is your wife racing too?  Have a good race and trip.

Jerry - that's great news that your wife feels strong enough to run/walk the upcoming half.

AFM:  I have no idea what I'll do today.  My body says rest, my mind says it's cool and cloudy so I really ought to take advantage of the break in the heat.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Ran 10 with 6 at MP on the TM this morning.  Pilates later.  Busy at work so BBL!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page