Beginners and Beyond

It's Back To Work WEDNESDAILIES & I have Just One Question? (Read 332 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and we have a good relationship. I mean, he made me a medal hanger for Christmas. I'll post a picture when I get one (I asked him to email one to me, but he's WORKING or something. Sheesh). This is just something that he doesn't get. His family is VERY meat and potatoes - it's just how he was raised. He acts like a five year old if I put a few veggies on his plate at dinner. I don't know why he personally takes offense when I say I don't want to eat meat - I cook dinner most nights of the week anyway. It's not like I'm making him go out of his way to make me tofu casserole or something. Smile

Mmm... quinoa. I made unstuffed peppers for lunches this week. Diced green peppers and onions, garlic, quinoa, spices, and tomato sauce. Yum.

B-Plus

Happy birthday BS and happy Boxing Day all. It's another day up here in the great white north, but I'm off til the new year.

I'm heading out for the first half of another holiday double.

LRB

Mmm... quinoa. I made unstuffed peppers for lunches this week. Diced green peppers and onions, garlic, quinoa, spices, and tomato sauce. Yum.

Quinoa annoys the hell outta me, it's too light and tiny.  I have a box of it in my cupboard somewhere.  I suppose it would be okay as an additive to soups or stews or something like that, but as a stand alone side it's too much getting the stupid little things on a fork.

jjs, that sounds like the makings of some damn good groceries!  As an aside (and somewhat of an irony) I dreamt I ate a bbq pork chop last night.  Damn it was good!

Flo, I am hoping to join the ranks of the before work  MLR double digit mile runners this coming season.  The longest I have run before work was 7 miles and quite frankly, it was a blast!

Thanks for the advice MBC, runners would never survive on rabbit food alone though.  Smile  As strange as it may sound, I personally rarely eat salads.  My protein intake is around 25 to 45 grams per day , and I have lost nothing in the way of strength or stamina at those levels.

Wassup Code!  It's colder than a mofo here today, brr!

Docket_Rocket

I have a quinoa stuffed peppers recipe.  It's awesome.  Here it is.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/quinoa-stuffed-peppers-2/

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and we have a good relationship. I mean, he made me a medal hanger for Christmas. I'll post a picture when I get one (I asked him to email one to me, but he's WORKING or something. Sheesh). This is just something that he doesn't get. His family is VERY meat and potatoes - it's just how he was raised. He acts like a five year old if I put a few veggies on his plate at dinner. I don't know why he personally takes offense when I say I don't want to eat meat - I cook dinner most nights of the week anyway. It's not like I'm making him go out of his way to make me tofu casserole or something. Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, D! Yum.

Here's a picture of the medal hanger that he took when he was almost done making it. A wooden bar goes into the loopy things to hold additional medals. There are over 40 hooks, plus the bar... and I only have 6 medals, so I need to get to work so I can fill this bad boy. I can't wait for it to get on the wall. There's also a shelf on the top.

Wassup Code!  It's colder than a mofo here today, brr!

You got that right. I'm sitting here at work with my fleece zipped all the way up to my chin and I'm still freezing. If you are and about, careful driving man. I'm hearing there is a bunch of crap coming our way.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

That's a myth.  We don't need additional protein. There are enough in plants, rice, and quinoa to get as much protein as if you eat meat. I don't even eat salads (I know LRB does not either). :-)

"additional?"  I don't think I said additional - just to be careful.  It requires a little effort.  But I don't want to get into an argument.  Like I said you're probably fine - lots of people are not.

USADA tips for vegetarians

Docket_Rocket

Very nice, April!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I agree.  But those same people are the ones that later say I was a vegetarian and it didn't work out.  I know vegan needs a little more care because of the nutrients you miss but vegetarian takes less effort if you eat well.  Some people will just switch to the unhealthy vegetarian option instead of the healthy one.

And sorry, I was not arguing.  It's just that most people ask that as the first question when is not really much of an issue.

"additional?"  I don't think I said additional - just to be careful.  It requires a little effort.  But I don't want to get into an argument.  Like I said you're probably fine - lots of people are not.

USADA tips for vegetarians

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I agree.  But those same people are the ones that later say I was a vegetarian and it didn't work out.  I know vegan needs a little more care because of the nutrients you miss but vegetarian takes less effort if you eat well.  Some people will just switch to the unhealthy vegetarian option instead of the healthy one.

And sorry, I was not arguing.  It's just that most people ask that as the first question when is not really much of an issue.

I hear ya Wink

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Purple Toes

Happy Birthday Beth! I hope you have a great day and so happy you get to spend it with your son!

RMT3B and Lilac, I'm sorry to hear about your knee issues :-(   I've dealt with that before too, but I'm happy to say after some PT sessions, rest, and discovering a foam roller all problems went away and it's been 2 yrs.

I did some strides and 5 miles with my running partners today. It was a chilly 3 degrees but I warmed up quickly after the first mile.

Zelanie

Good morning, dailies!  I've been hesitant to venture into this thread just because I'm not sure I'll have time for two dailies threads and I love the Penguins, but I think it's time to check in here as well.

Today I am going for my first run with my new Garmin 610!  I am a little nervous because I had to stop early on Sunday due to a weird side stitch/pain thing and haven't run since, so I'm hoping the two RDs were enough to take care of whatever it was.  I first felt it at the end of my LR on Friday, hopefully not a big deal though.

April- DH and I were already vegetarians when we met, and our 14-year-old has been a vegetarian for her whole life.  So no real advice to your situation, but good luck to you!  We also try to be non-preachy vegetarians.  People can cook and eat whatever meat they want to around us and we're not going to say a thing.  For potlucks, I try to bring something relatively filling that I know I can eat so that I don't have to go around quizzing people on their ingredients list.  And when I run in the evening pre-dinner, I do have to say that the smell of people cooking their meaty dinners makes me hungry!

Quinoa I think is good when mixed with other things rather than as a side on its own.  My favorite so far is a quinoa-corn salad.  I've also subbed it in for some of the arborio rice in a risotto.

CrisRuns

Happy Birthday, Beth! You look fabulous and I am sure you can kick many younger butts.

For me: Day 8 of return to running after surgery.

Weather: there was ice on the sidewalks yesterday, so I was glad it snowed overnight and that it kept snowing. A little snow and shoe spikes gave me enough traction not to end on my backside (or worse). The uphills on the snow and wind working against me were tough.

Six times (4 minutes run, 1 minute walk). 24 total running minutes. I felt happy (everything was creaking a little, though).

I will attempt skiing tomorrow. Utah slopes, here I come!

CrisRuns

I don't mean to blow your mind or anything like that, but how about using a spoon for it? ;-)

Quinoa annoys the hell outta me, it's too light and tiny.  I have a box of it in my cupboard somewhere.  I suppose it would be okay as an additive to soups or stews or something like that, but as a stand alone side it's too much getting the stupid little things on a fork.