Beginners and Beyond

We're All Here Cuz He's Not All There SaturDAILIES (Read 69 times)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Ami, great run!

SIAR, it was a 15K. I guess I should have pointed that out. It would be a great time for a half, not so great for a 5K. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

5mi @ HM pace. If I keep this up I'll definitely go sub 2h in my next HM.

- Andrew

LRB

Taking a walk for your recovery period was smart  too since the most important thing is still running the interval at a good clip.

You know, I had not even thought about that but you're right.  The whole point of a threshold run is to be at or near your lactate threshold during the duration of the interval.

Although I may have pushed too far during the first set, I was at it for all three work bouts.  Thanks for pointing that out!

Nice runs everyone!

Boon, your time will come soon, Boon.  Soon Boon, soon.  Big grin

Hip Redux

Snowshoeing this morning after yesterday's snow storm.   Great way to start the day.   Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

Incredibly hilly 5k done! It was seriously a steep hill right at the beginning, then downhill for a mile and a half, then uphill the rest of the way. I'll post the elevation chart when I get on my computer.

Garmin time 28:25, which is 35 seconds slower than my PR but I'll take it! I didn't think I was in 5k shape so I'm thrilled with that time on this course. I was 41/137 overall when I checked the board. Not sure if more people finished after that.

MTA: Course elevation:

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The 11 miler went well, my new Asics Gel-Blur33 2.0's really held up to the test and I think I will be retiring my Ghost 5's and my Brooks GTS 12's now. I am now hungry, and hopefully I can talk my hubby into a place with steaks and margaritas.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Then, we met up with the store for a yoga session that lasted about 45 minutes.  It was the first time I'd tried yoga.  I can definitely see how it'd be beneficial, but I don't know that I have the time or money to spend on it.  

Well I can see how YOU wouldn't have the time for it, but those of us that only run a human number of miles can manage to squeeze it in. Wink

I do find it beneficial as my regular crosstraining. You can probably get the same benefits with other activities or doing it on your own, but for me the group setting helps with motivation.  I agree it can get expensive if you go to a yoga studio or pay by the session somewhere. (Our LRS does one too; I have never tried theirs although keep meaning to, because I would like to know which poses they think are best for runners.) But I go to the yoga classes at my gym, which are included in the regular membership. Did a 75 minute class today, and got as sweaty as if I had gone for a run. Joking

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, AmiK. Great job, Tom. Nice job, April. And although he has not posted, Congrats to jedi on his new HM PR!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BruceD555

RunTomRun- Nice job on exceeding your expectations on the 15k!!

AprilRunner- Congrats on your hilly 5k!

LRB-Nothin' wrong with those intervals at all. I hear you on needing to reign things in on the first one - I tend to blow out of the gates too fast on mine and it always comes back to bite you later.

So_Im_a_Runner- Nice job on the 22 miles today. I like how you end up splitting your run into pacing along with a slower group at the beginning and then tacking on more miles with a faster RP. Unfortunately, my 22 planned for tomorrow will be solo so I'll need to work hard to start off slow.

Baboon- Be good and mind the doc (and the Mrs) and you'll be back out on the road before you know it.

Well, I got in my recovery 5 without incident. The winds were gusting about 20 mph but the rain had let up and the "feels like" temperature was a balmy 31 degrees. Now I'm planning on kicking back and resting for the remainder of the day.

ETA - Now the rain has started up again so there's absolutely no way I'm leaving my comfy chair. Maximum slug mode engaged.

Train smart ... race smarter.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, D and Bruce. I knew it was hilly but didn't know what to expect. This was an inaugural event benefiting congenital heart defects, and my husband was born with a bad valve (and had open heart surgery in 2009 to replace it) so I wanted to run the race. I'm pretty sure I'm going to run it again next year. Smile

mucknort

It's sunny and in the 50's here in this part of New England, where it seems the sun hasn't shone in months. This California boy is ecstatic!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Well I can see how YOU wouldn't have the time for it, but those of us that only run a human number of miles can manage to squeeze it in. Wink

I do find it beneficial as my regular crosstraining. You can probably get the same benefits with other activities or doing it on your own, but for me the group setting helps with motivation.  I agree it can get expensive if you go to a yoga studio or pay by the session somewhere. (Our LRS does one too; I have never tried theirs although keep meaning to, because I would like to know which poses they think are best for runners.) But I go to the yoga classes at my gym, which are included in the regular membership. Did a 75 minute class today, and got as sweaty as if I had gone for a run. Joking

Haha thanks, I think. But you're right, the motivation would totally be in doing the class instead of getting a DVD on my own. Maybe post marathon I'll give it a try, with shirtless running season and all ha.

April...congrats on your race. It's nice to feel like overall fitness is gaining along with race specific stuff.

Freesoul...nice job on the 11. Glad your shoes felt good too.

Bruce...definitely best not to start that 22 too fast...could hurt at the end. It is very nice for me having people at various paces to join.

Docket...hello!

Runtom...never done a 15k here. You're right, that'd be a tough 5k, but I'd take it for a half!

Brr...glad you're feeling good about the training.

Ozki...snow shoe sounds very cool.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

It's sunny and in the 50's here in this part of New England, where the it seems the sun hasn't shone in months. This California boy is ecstatic!

Isn't it sad how low winter takes our expectations lol!

Docket_Rocket

I am not very happy that it will be hotter in LA next week than down here in Miami.  Not super bad marathon weather, but the high on that day is 78F.  Da Fuck?

I'm taking another rest day.  I'm tired from blowing my nose and getting nosebleeds.  Plus I got 8 new beers back from the BBQ.  Off to try some!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

mucknort

Isn't it sad how low winter takes our expectations lol!

Absolutely, LRB!!!