Beginners and Beyond

RR:Magellan Group's Chicago Spring Half Marathon To Benefit the Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute (Read 90 times)

MrNamtor

Short Version: I ran in the Magellan Group Chicago Spring Half Marathon. It was my first half and my longest distance race to date. My time was 1:43:34, finishing 242nd out of 1,930 runners overall, and 7th out of 39 in my AG.

Pre Race

I woke up around 5AM that morning, just put on some shorts and a shirt and my sneakers, pinned my bib on and just left my apartment like that. No bag, didn't even bring any money.

I jogged really slowly down Michigan Avenue , and it was kind of weird to see it so deserted, except for a drunk or two. Other than that very nice and peaceful.  The race started in a park about a mile and a half from my apartment, so it was a nice easy jog and really loosened me up.

The weather was perfect, 65 F, no wind, slightly overcast.  Chicago water front is beautiful, and at that time in the morning, 6 AM, all the birds are out, and the fishing boats and it was the sunrise to a warm sunny sunday in May. So really doesn't get any better than that.

I felt very relaxed, it was  a great atmosphere, i chatted with a few people and got a picture or two taken by a photographer. The race began at 7

At The Starting Line

I was planning on running maybe an 8 mm pace for the first 3 miles, then ramping it up to a 7:45 mm for 5 and finishing strong with the last 5 miles as close to 7:30 mm as possible. I don't know how that would have worked out because I didn't do that.

I didn't have a garmin or even a watch, so i would have to pace myself by the mile markers and the clock. I tried to find people who looked like they were going to pace well and were lining up at the 8mm marker. I also thought i would be able to tell if i were hitting the pace or not.

Fortunately for me there was a 1:40 time pacer who said he'd be doing 7:35mm pace from start to finish and would be crossing the finish line at 1:40. I thought that would be fast for me, but i decided to try to do that, even though people always say "dont start out too fast". I think that if you're not new to running and have been training for a while, it's not the worst thing to start too fast, as you have said too. You have the fitness and finesse to slow down and recover if you make a mistake.

So we were off. An older guy who looked a little like LTH sneered at me when I joined him and the group who were gathered around the 1:40 time pacer. I just nodded and said hi to him. Later, I would leave him more or less in the dust (lol, well, I think i passed him because by mile 6 or so he was not near the pacer and I'm pretty sure he did NOT shoot ahead). But that wasn't really my focus.

The first 6 Miles

I really took to heart things that MattM and some others on the main forum had said in reply to my last RR which was a 5k. Matt said i had not really raced, that i had left time on the course, etc. He also said I had started out too slowly and let people clog the way in front of me, etc. I didn't think all his criticism was valid, but a lot of it was and I decided to really race this run hard.

I felt pretty comfortable running at a 7:35 mm pace to start, though one of the reasons I felt comfortable was that at first the pacer was running a bit slower than this due to congestion of slower runners ahead. Even though we, the pacer and the pace group, had started very near the beginning of the pack on the starting line, there were slow people who started at the beginning as well. I know that this phenomena has been discussed on the forum, and has been cited as a majorly annoying thing, but i was actually a bit grateful because it cut me a little slack in terms of following the pacer.

Pacer had perfect form btw. I mean, ramrod straight back, arms swinging straight back from the side body, nice turnover, midfoot strike, all that. In other words the exact opposite of my form. The guy was a running machine. You could tell that pace was just an easy workout for him.

I did manage to keep that pace for the 1st 6 miles. I gradually fell behind until I could no longer see the pacer by the 6 mile marker. That's when a little despair set in.

The Middle 5 Miles

My pace for the first 6 miles was fast for me, as well as a last minute decision. So after maintaining this pace for about 45 minutes, i faded a bit. There were times when I felt a bit of aerobic stress, but over all, I was able to keep up a pace that was not that much slower than the 7:35 mm of my first miles.

At mile 8 or so, I caught up to the 1:40 pacer. Well, I did not actually catch up, but i got within 150 yards or so. But then, at some point, I faded again, lost site of the 1:40 pacer, and did not see him for the rest of the race.

Although these miles were the toughest for me, they were also the most enjoyable in some way. I really felt the competition. I just have a memory of running in a pack with other runners, and I felt like we were wild horses.

These pics, which I've put into a gif were (I think) taken during this stretch. The guy on the right of me was with me almost the whole race, I remember passing him and him passing me throughout the run. I think he ultimately beat my time by about 30 seconds.

I'd have added music to this if i could have, but you can play almost any song in the background and it will fit really well Big grin

Now in case anyone has any doubt that the smiles on my fellow runners' faces and the brave determined (i.e. maniacal)  stare on my face has anything to do with anything other than us noticing the photographer, here is a photo taken just before this moment, reflecting our true feelings at that point

Anyway later I found pics of both the guy to my right and the guy to my left. Apparently they are buddies.

The Last 2.1 Miles

Although I faded a bit in the middle miles, I was able to recover my energy and finish strong.  As usual, i had a finishing line mirage occur, where I mistook an overhanging sign with the race name for the finish line, and began to kick my pace out, only to realize that the actual finish line was almost half a mile further.

When I did get to the finish line however, I was able to kick out a nice pace, almost a sprint, for the last 75 yards or so.

After The Race

This was a great race and a very accommodatingly flat and pleasant.  However, it was one of the more austere events I've been to in terms of "freebies".  There was no pre race package given, only a t shirt and a bib  (although the shirt is really nice) and the post race stuff was also sparse.  Some free water, and 1 trip per runner to the breakfast buffet which  was advertised as a "catered breakfast"  but tasted like frozen breakfast food. I also gave away my email address in hopes of getting a big fat sandwich at one of the booths only to learn that the sandwiches were for runners from their organization only. Oh well.

I didn't know anyone so i just milled about, talking to some random people. I talked at length to a guy who was born in NYC and lived there most of his life, although he moved to Chicago about 12 years ago. He was of Chinese descent and I made an inadvertently racist comment to him at some point, basically because I am an idiot, but he didn't seem to get flustered by it (he was a psychologist so I guess he is trained not to get flustered by what people say) and we moved on from there.

Overall though, it was a great experience, the crowd had a fabulous energy to it, and the weather was beautiful.  I would definitely recommend running races in Chicago to anyone who wants flat courses, great urban scenery, and friendly crowds.

The Results

I am aware that my time of 1:43:34 is faster than some and slower than some, that some people run much faster from their first race on but that many dedicated runners never run as fast as I did in my first half.

I was happy with my time especially because it was my first half and I didn't train particularly hard (although i didn't let my training slide either) and am also about 5-10 lbs overweight at this point. So I thought the fastest I could run would be 1:45 and was prepared for my time to be close to the 1:50 mark. Running better than one expected to run is always a nice feeling.

I am also, as I always tell myself, grateful to God or whatever power bestows good fortune on us, if indeed there is such a power that does this, for the fact that I am healthy enough and fortunate enough to be able to run 13 mile races at all.

I'm going to post further threads with specific questions I have about my training and my race. Anyway, thanks for reading!!

LRB

Wait, let me get this straight; you actually run?

MrNamtor

I only run so that I can come on this site and be a general jackass. Everyone has different motivations, and that's mine.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on your first!!!

I think you did a great job but I am looking forward to read your threads to read what things you want to improve upon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I only run so that I can come on this site and be a general jackass. Everyone has different motivations, and that's mine.

Then running be damned... :-)

Good job, Namtor. That was an excellent first HM. Much better than my first for sure.

I loved this very much: I just have a memory of running in a pack with other runners, and I felt like we were wild horses.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Sloooow.

That's some dedication right there!

Congratulations, I think it's an excellent time. You definitely pushed yourself.

LRB

Well there ya go, ha-ha!  Seriously though, that's a damn good time for a first half marathon, without a watch to boot.

Well for a guy who pretty much only posts on NRR threads, and mostly hangs around making jackassy comments, you're pretty darn fast. To be able to just nonchalantly get up & out the door, jog down the street to the starting line with no watch or anything, and run a 1:43 in your first HM, is quite impressive. (OK, for me, to be able to put up that time under any circumstances is impressive.) You obviously take your running more seriously than you let on. I won't tell anyone, it can be our little secret.

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Lol!!

good stuff, Namtor. Excellent time and I like how you did those pictures. Smile

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on doing so well on your first HM.  Nice RR too.  It sounds like the beautiful morning just put you in the right frame of mind to go out and excel.

Hip Redux

Excellent work on your first half.  And I agree with everything Dave said!  Big grin

The gif is disturbing/hilarious.

So you ran your first HM in a sub 1:45 time with no watch nor Garmin, no hi-tech running shirts,  no mention of fuel (gel or shot blocks) and wearing some white socks  which look out of the laundry pile?  Committing running blasphemy!

Damn impressive Mr.Namtor!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congratulations!  That's a killer time for your debut half and you should be really proud of it.  Who knows what would have happened had you not started out with the 1:40 pacer, but I can appreciate that you just decided to go for it, results be damned.  In the end, I don't think it hurt you much at all.  Keep up the good and consistent work with the training and your times will continue to drop.

Try to limit the offensive post race remarks next time ha!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

From what I have glimpsed, I think it's all an act.  I think he's a softie that does not let that show.

Well for a guy who pretty much only posts on NRR threads, and mostly hangs around making jackassy comments, you're pretty darn fast. To be able to just nonchalantly get up & out the door, jog down the street to the starting line with no watch or anything, and run a 1:43 in your first HM, is quite impressive. (OK, for me, to be able to put up that time under any circumstances is impressive.) You obviously take your running more seriously than you let on. I won't tell anyone, it can be our little secret.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Adding to this: Are your shoes running shoes, Namtor?

So you ran your first HM in a sub 1:45 time with no watch nor Garmin, no hi-tech running shirts,  no mention of fuel (gel or shot blocks) and wearing some white socks  which look out of the laundry pile?  Committing running blasphemy!

Damn impressive Mr.Namtor!

Damaris

Fundraising Page