Beginners and Beyond

St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Shuffle 5K Report and Photos (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2018%20Shamrock%20Shuffle%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 18th race of 2017 was the Shamrock Shuffle at 7 PM on March 17.  Held at McAllister Park in San Antonio.   Really nice turn out for a Friday evening race and the weather was sweet…no wind, sunny with a few clouds, and a temp of 68 degrees.   I live quite close to the park so it was an easy drive over.  Arrived with about 45 minutes to go to start time and took a few ‘before” photos.

Me and friend Karen...I wore this shirt in honor of a friend who is dealing with some issues right now.

photo 002_zpswjdkvpbu.jpg

photo 001_zpskyqyxdf0.jpg

photo 003_zpsi38gcppi.jpg

photo 005_zpspcrclfov.jpg

This guy is wearing the race shirt...and a lovely lady.... 

photo 006_zpsbgjmpqyl.jpg

photo 007_zpstla7upjy.jpg

photo 008_zpsv14fuq4r.jpg

photo 009_zpssvt2o3gs.jpg

photo 010_zpso167cjmm.jpg

photo 011_zpshkon3n8e.jpg

photo 012_zpsmjgdwspd.jpg

photo 013_zpsghizh93e.jpg

photo 014_zpsncnqkddp.jpg

photo 016_zpssxmm0f09.jpg

photo 017_zpso7f616yi.jpg

photo 018_zpsydcoevjo.jpg

photo 019_zpskb2vqmvb.jpg

photo 023_zpsj2fdzabl.jpg

ON THE COURSE

On the paved roads and paved off-road trails of the park.  VERY flat, not a hill in sight on this route, not even an incline along the way. Good PR course for those trying to set one.  Started at the park pavilion that is near some soccer fields.  Before we started, there was also a kids’ run, and I got a photo of this little darlin’ coming into the finish.

photo 015_zpsvf6hlm7x.jpg

We all lined up, the National Anthem was played, and then we were off right on time.  iRun Texas, a local running store/training company/race management company did all the setup for this one and I will give them one thing, in just about all their races done, they start right on time. Always enjoy doing their events.

photo 020_zpsl6vwparj.jpg

photo 021_zps69gayjaj.jpg

photo 022_zpspsaw0sgx.jpg

We runners and walkers along the way:

photo 024_zpstizxcnzr.jpg

photo 025_zpsff4cczra.jpg

photo 026_zpsiyb1nsrp.jpg

Thank you, Park Police officer, for stopping that car that was coming toward all of us as we were doing mile one!

photo 027_zpscchkorls.jpg

photo 028_zpstzh4mesd.jpg

photo 029_zpswcpn63sn.jpg

If I can't see them fully..at least I got the Great Legs...

photo 030_zpsag3mfbbz.jpg

photo 031_zpsokteth7t.jpg

photo 032_zpsc7gh1mci.jpg

photo 033_zpsleccpolw.jpg

photo 034_zpsijrza2sr.jpg

I ended up 5th in my 60 – 65 age group. I knew I was not getting an award right from the start because I saw before the start several of the very speedy guys in my age group.  It’s all good, these days I am more of a ‘fun runner’ anyway…and I am having a blast.

AFTER MY FINISH

All kinds of Shiner beer after the finish, and some really good kiolbassa sausages….at least I think they were kiolbassa…they were pretty tasty and not spicy at all, which I was thankful for, as about the spiciest thing I can eat these days is French’s mustard, lol. So drinking and munching, I wandered around taking some ‘after’ photos.   It was starting to get dark and my old-fashioned camera is not so great in the dark, even with a flash, so some of the photos are a tad blurry, but I think most came out fairly well, considering my old camera, and my terrible photo skill, lol.

photo 035_zps9yde3efd.jpg

Yep, I sweat a lot when I run...even in cold weather, lol

photo 036_zpsnbtoxdaf.jpg

This guy and I do a lot of the same races...and he is usually ahead of me every time.  Speedy, often places in his age group, and always runs in a costume too.   I didn't want to tell him, though, that his bag doesn't go with that outfit... 

photo 037_zpsak3mcmqj.jpg

The most important volunteer there.  Yeah, beer!

photo 038_zpszjmwywmo.jpg

photo 039_zpsbswjstka.jpg

I told my friend here "C'mon, we will get a photo of the two old guys here" and he said "Where's the other one?"  lol.  My 74 year old friend, still going strong!

photo 040_zpsbkb3lhuv.jpg

Got a medal in his age group..

photo 054_zpsserozydk.jpg

photo 041_zpsvqfkn3ue.jpg

photo 042_zps2embvirx.jpg

photo 043_zpsgncldg1p.jpg

photo 044_zpsitbzism9.jpg

photo 045_zpsunrfbpza.jpg

photo 046_zps0chdajsk.jpg

photo 047_zpsyoxtgjns.jpg

photo 048_zpsri8rg7mc.jpg

photo 049_zpsthh2m5uj.jpg

photo 050_zpsjewgeyvo.jpg

photo 051_zpsuzbd3yih.jpg

EPILOGUE

This was an inaugural race and it was very nice to be doing an organized race in McAllister again, there are not too many events done much in this park anymore, which is a shame because it is a really nice park to run or walk in.  Hope the event was worthwhile enough that iRun will keep this a regular thing each year.   Very nice race tee, lots of goodies, nice award medals, and some winners even got some ‘extras’….like my friend who got that nice bottle of Rebecca Creek Distillery product.  Nice seeing lots of my running friends/acquaintances out there too.  Kudos to iRun staff and all the volunteers for doing such a great job for this one.

MUCHO thanks also to all the other folks that made this one possible too:  the sponsors, the Park Police officer that was out there for us on the park road portion of the race, the other park patrons – other runners, walkers, and cyclists – who were doing their own workouts in the park, and had the courtesy and patience to carefully wait us out when needed and not impede any participant’s path, et all.  Thank you all very much!

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt