Beginners and Beyond

Penguins ThursDAILY Over the Hump (Read 24 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Friday Eve !!!  Up late again watching the Hawks win.   RD for me.  Hip still sore but at least I can walk, but stairs are painful.  Guess I'll go to work since my boss is on vacation.  That should give me time to do some hip research.

Have a great day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the sore hip, Jerry!   My boss is not on vacation, but I was.  I'm back to work today.   I have about 100 e-mails to go through after being off since last Friday!

Today is my 'hot run' of the week.  Will run after work in a local park.  Temp will only be 93 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of only 96, so for Texas in June that is not too bad at all.   Humidity will only be 46%.  However, the Dewpoint will be 69, not too bad either.  I found this "simplex" dewpoint chart online that I use for my outside activities.  It's not very 'technical' but it works for me to see what my miles may feel like when I get out there.

Dew point °F

and Human Perception

Higher than 80 °F

Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses

75–80 °F

Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive

70–74 °F

Very humid, quite uncomfortable

65–69 °F

Somewhat uncomfortable for most people at upper edge

60–64 °F

OK for most, but all perceive the humidity at upper edge

55–59 °F

Comfortable

50–54 °F

Very comfortable

< 49 °F

A bit dry for some

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris, read the other day you were not feeling well. Hope you feel better today!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Scott.  51 dew point right now, so I'm missing a "very comfortable" running day.    :-(

Philliefan33

Good morning

Jerry -- too bad about the hip.  Hope you can figure out what's going on.

Scotty -- I'd say "enjoy your run", but I'm not sure that's possible in the kind of heat you endure.  So maybe "survive your run" is more appropriate?

AFM -- I did 6.5 miles last night at a local park.  I had my route all set to end up with 7 miles, but towards the end my hamstrings were really tight.  So I stopped running and just walked the last half mile, which seemed to help.  I think the tightness is still residual from my hilly run on Sunday.  I'll do about 5 easy miles tonight.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Keep your shirt on Margo !!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Or not.... Wink

Heck, Margo, you got 6.5 of those planned 7 miles done, so pretty impressive, especially with tight hamstrings.   Congrats on your miles!  Hope the hamstrings feel better in no time.    Good luck with the miles tonite.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I hope your hip gets better quickly.  Have you been doing myrtls?  Maybe too much stretching or not enough?

Scotty - I hope you get caught up quickly today.  I can't imagine trying to run in those kind of temps.  I have a hard time when it's over 80.

Margo - hope the hamstring loosens today.  Do you have a roller?

AFM:  I plan to do a tempo run today, but am a bit confused:  Higdon calls for his tempo runs to be 10k pace, while others seem to say tempo is HM pace.  Since there's almost 30 seconds difference, I'm not sure what I should aim for.  Maybe just 'moderately hard' - whatever that turns out to be?  I'm still not exactly following a plan, though I'm 12 weeks out now, because Higdon's mileage is too low (don't want to go back to 6 mile long runs) and I've been warned off Runners World plans, though the mileage is good there (starting at 30 mpw and going up to 45 or so) so I'm sort of doing something in between.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jerry: sore hip?! What the heck?!

scotty: welcome back and try to enjoy your hot run.

PF: if you run tonight as a nice easy recovery run, I am sure your hammies will feel better.

I am doing an easy five myself while DD is running at practice. I might do my long run tomorrow because Saturday is just packed.  Have a good day, and "hi" to the Pens to come.

Philliefan33

Have you been talking to my husband???

Zelanie

Good morning!

I got into the PT yesterday and got some answers.  Apparently my kneecap had tracked back over to the outside, which had irritated the tendon.  It's now taped back into place. Smile  My PT also found the likely culprit- a super tight hip flexor.  He barely touched it and YOWCH!  Plus one of my quads had really tightened up as well.  Got a super-painful massage of the area plus some stim, and I learned a new hip flexor stretch.  I hadn't thought to roll the front of my hips, either, but I will be rolling hips and quads this week.  I'm also going back to 2 visits a week until things settle down a bit.

The good news is, with all of that work, I can run as long as it's not hurting.  I will take today as a RD and try a run tomorrow.

Then DD and I went and volunteered at the community track meet.  It was fun- all ages and abilities welcome.  You pay $2 and can do as many events as you want.  Some of the kids in the little ones' 60-yard dash didn't know about the finish line and got almost to the finish, then turned around and ran back to their moms.  Then there was an older gentleman who showed up and smoked the 800.  Another guy took a selfie just as he was finishing the 200.  He still managed to win and it was a close race.

DD and I worked as timers.  I was the popsicle stick hander-outer for the longer races, and we both pushed buttons on the timing system for the shorter ones.

It was fun!  There's another one in 2 weeks that I think we're going to go to also.

Jerry- Hope Dr. Google is finding some answers for you!  My newest form of hip torture is rolling on a tennis ball, front and back.  Maybe it would help your case too?

Scotty- Glad that you got back safely.

Margo- Glad the walking helped, and I hope you have a good run tonight.

Ginny- I'm pretty sure I run my tempos between HM pace and 10K pace.  I usually plug my best PR into McMillan and then use his paces.

Singer who runs a smidge

Can't post, can't read the forums, technical difficulties!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, that actually went through.  I'm surprised, because I keep getting error messages saying that there are too many redirects or whatever.  Looks like the scheduled downtime sprung a few leaks ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: Good news! Smile At least you know the problem.

PF: Let us know about the shirt. Wink

I got my five in at an 8:32 pace. I love running in the morning, now I still have the day in front of me.