Beginners and Beyond

Core Power, Flexibility, and Muscle Imbalances (Read 63 times)

LRB

There is more to core power than just doing a set of crunches a couple of days a week.  Muscle balance and flexibility are equally important.  Neglect any one of those and a problem may be imminent.

The thing about that though is there usually is not a singular incident to point to such as suffering a twisted ankle after stepping awkwardly off of a curb.  No, problems due to muscle imbalance, flexibility or core strength are usually cumulative.  That is, you are running the best you ever have maybe even setting PR's and then bam, your ass is injured.  You spend days, weeks and even months trying to remember the singular incident that is responsible for your injury to no avail.

That is because core issues involve more than one area.  As the illustration shows, there are four areas of the body that are responsible for core balance alone.  If one of them are off it could result in a pelvic tilt on one side or the other, but it does not stop there.

Take the hamstrings for example, this muscle is so strong and powerful that by not stretching it regularly, the glutes, lower back, calves and achilles may be affected negatively.  Likewise, by stretching them regularly you can potentially eliminate problems in these same areas.

Of course when stretching as in resistance training, you always want to stretch the antagonist muscle.  In the case of the hamstrings that would be the quads.  This eliminates imbalances, which are equally to blame for certain injuries as a lack of flexibility is.

Let's say you can do 10 single leg squats on the left leg, but only 7 on the right, that is an imbalance.  Or, maybe you can do 15 fire hydrants (a hip exercise) on the right but only 12 on the left.  Again, that is an imbalance.

If left unchecked these seemingly innocent issues could sideline you as quickly as any of the major running ailments ITBS, Achilles tendonitis, Plantar fasciitis etc. can.

Of course, there are those who can get away without any core or flexibility work so your mileage may vary (YMMV).  But for many of us, this topic is as important (or maybe even more so) than building a mileage base and/or speed work.

Disclaimer: I am no expert in this area, and do not claim to be.  You will thus consult with a professional, do your own research and follow your own way.

I am just throwing it out there because some of the problems runners incur could result from issues with core power, muscle imbalances or flexibility.

Peace.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

This is great info. I end my runs "early" so I can get some stretching in while I am warmed up. So maybe I "short" myself 10 miles a week by doing this but the trade off is better than being on the disabled list for weeks at a time. Of course this doesn't mean I will stay injury free but I feel it definitely helps. Every other sport does some kind of extra or cross training. Heck, even NASCAR drivers workout.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Did you write all that? I think the TM time may be getting to your brain. You're definitely right about the content though. Part of the trouble, as I see it, is that most of us don't know (and are more than a bit scared to find out) what imbalances we have. If we aren't regular gym people, we just don't get a sense of what one side of the body can do versus the other side.

Personally, I've committed to once a week yoga to help work on some of the ancillary stuff. Actually, it probably is more essential than ancillary, but it doesn't feel that way because it isn't running. I know I should do more pure strength work, but without a group or a class to motivate me, I just dont see it happening.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

SIAR - you don't need weights or a gym. One legged squats and single leg dead lifts are good examples of body weight exercises

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR - you don't need weights or a gym. One legged squats and single leg dead lifts are good examples of body weight exercises

Oh I hear ya. Just give me three other people and an instructor and it might actually happen. It's odd because I can motivate myself to run plenty of miles, but that's about where the motivation stops. Your way of including that work in the end of your runs actually sounds like a great idea. I can liken that to doing hill sprints or strides, which aren't hard for me to add on specifically because they're still part of the workout.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Philliefan33

Good things to think about.  What you posted makes me feel better about a decision I made in November:  over the winter months, I am adding cross-training to my routine.  Part of the training is yoga class 2X/week.

Before I became a runner, I went through a 2-3 year period where I did yoga 2-4 times per week.  I was the Gumbiest I had ever been.  The yoga fell by the wayside when I started running two years ago, and while my legs are strong and my cardiovascular fitness is much better, there is no flexibility left and my upper body strength is bad.  So I made the decision to get back to practicing yoga, even at the expense of running if necessary.  (Heresy!!)

Your post helped me look at the yoga differently -- it's not taking away from my running, it's part of a regimen that may help prevent injury.

There are so many good things I could do for my body, but not enough hours to do what I want.  I need to start planning for an early retirement...having a job really cuts into my workout time.

happylily

Very wise post, LRB. I agree 100%. If only I were more disciplined about things like that. But I quickly lose interest whenever I try to stick to a routine of core exercises. Sooner or later I will regret it, I just know it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I usually stretch after I run and I've noticed my lower back / hamstring has stopped bothering me once I stopped slacking on the stretching (which I do when I'm not feeling injured).  I usually stretch my hamstrings, hip flexors and calves. And then I roll my ITBs out.

I've also noticed a difference in my running / posture when I was doing planks regularly.  That I have slacked on and really need to get back to doing.

GinnyinPA

I usually do some yoga at the end of my runs, especially if I'm running on the TM where I have immediate access to the mat.  One thing I have noticed is that the left side is much tighter than the right.  Hamstring stretches are not at all the same on each side.  I have wondered if that had something to do with my two pelvic injuries.  It makes sense that my rotation would alter because of the tightness.

LRB

Did you write all that? I think the TM time may be getting to your brain.

Yes, and yes.  Too funny!

Once you have a goal event or two taken away from you however, you will not need a group setting anymore.  As Phillie said, it then just becomes about finding the time.

For me, instead of doing it all in one session as I would like, I will drop down and do a set of crunches say on Monday before bed.  Tuesday when I get home from work I may do three sets of pullups.  Saturday before I go out, I may do four sets of pushups etc. I find it much easier to incorporate that way.

Lily, see the comment directly above.  ;-)

One, I have not done a plank since breaking the 8:00 minute mark back in November, but still feel the effects of how much strength they gave me for those two weeks.  I too, need to get back to them.

Gus, Lord knows you and I have caught hell injury wise, and I am not an injury prone type person.  It is just that by not doing certain things, a lot of running can lead to overuse injuries.

LRB

One thing I have noticed is that the left side is much tighter than the right.  Hamstring stretches are not at all the same on each side. 

Ditto for me, turns out my left leg is longer than the right so when stretching my stupid hamstrings, I have to place my left hand kind of flat on the top of my shoe as opossed to simply touching my toe.  That gets me that extra stretch in my left hammy (even ever so slightly) to match what the right side is getting.  Or in the spirit of the this thread; it gives it balance.

onemile

One, I have not done a plank since breaking the 8:00 minute mark back in November, but still feel the effects of how much strength they gave me for those two weeks.  I too, need to get back to them.

I only got up to 3 mins and thought that was a lot.

Love the Half

The good news is that if you'll take the 60 minutes you allot for exercise each day and spend it with 5 minutes of abdominal strengthening and 5 minutes of hamstring strengthening and 5 minutes of quad strengthening and 5 minutes of groin muscle strengthening and 5 minutes of back strengthening and 5 minutes of back extensor strengthening and 5 minutes of hip flexor strengthening and 5 minutes of calf strengthening and 5 minutes of abdominal stretching and 5 minutes of hamstring stretching and 5 minutes of quad stretching and 5 minutes of groin muscle stretching you'll never have a running injury.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I only got up to 3 mins and thought that was a lot.

Relatively speaking and no different than race times, for where you are it probably is a lot.  And like me you are probably better off for it, there is just no way to see tangible results (unlike race times), so it gets lost in the proverbial sauce.

LRB

The good news is that if you'll take the 60 minutes you allot for exercise each day and spend it with 5 minutes of abdominal strengthening and 5 minutes of hamstring strengthening and 5 minutes of quad strengthening and 5 minutes of groin muscle strengthening and 5 minutes of back strengthening and 5 minutes of back extensor strengthening and 5 minutes of hip flexor strengthening and 5 minutes of calf strengthening and 5 minutes of abdominal stretching and 5 minutes of hamstring stretching and 5 minutes of quad stretching and 5 minutes of groin muscle stretching you'll never have a running injury.

The bad news is that leaves no time for running, and ain't nobody got time for that!