Beginners and Beyond

Hannaford Half Marathon RR (Read 47 times)

on my way to badass

The Mohawk Hudson Hannaford HM is a point-to-point that runs from the Colonie Town Park on the Mohawk River down bike paths, through city streets and back on a bike path along the Hudson River to Albany, NY.

The marathon starts in Schenectady at the same time as the HM.  The marathon leaders passed me at the 10 mile marker.

Temps were in the low 50's and it was overcast.  Perfect weather.

The first mile was a loop in the park with the 2 up-hills on the course.  The course is a net downhill that is popular for BQs.

Garmin was off by .2 miles after the first mile.  It messed with my math the rest of the race.

I was trying to go slower based on garmin.  My miles were in the 11mm range.  Some miles were slower because they had water stops and I walked or stopped all together to prevent choking.

I had a little reserve for the last mile.  I felt strong.  I wanted to puke when crossing the finish line.  The volunteer in the chute said I could sit down in a wheelchair.  Uh, no.  It made me wonder how bad I looked.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Cyberic

That's early for the watch to be off by that much.

Congrats on your race.

Docket_Rocket

Ugh. I hate when the Garmin screws up so early. As to whether you look as bad, pics or it didn't happen.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on a strong race. Was there heavy tree cover in the park? That can really mess with GPS. Or if the loop had lots of corners/angles, the GPS can cut all the corners. If you zoom in on the map, you can usually find the oddities pretty quickly. I've had races where I have run through ponds, across a football field during a game and over rooftops. It definitely make it tough when the GPS tells you something that just seems wrong.

on my way to badass

This race report was longer and more detailed , by I lost it twice using my phone.

The first mile was a loop with trees.  I'm hoping that is all it was.  I was getting mile beeps before I got to the marathon mile markers.  It may have only been .15 off but it seemed consistently early in relation to the mile markers from there on out..  I'll check out the map.

I am waiting for pics to see how bad it was.  Fingers crossed for a floater.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

delicate flower

I wanted to puke when crossing the finish line. 

Sounds to me like you did it right!  

Nice job, Stoner!

<3

bluerun

Super B****

Well, if the Garmin says it, it must be true...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I experienced the exact same thing at Detroit 2014, and ended up with a Garmin distance of 26.44. It was terribly upsetting to have the stupid watch beep a quarter mile past the mile marker, every mile for 25 miles!

Something similar happened at the Monumental the following year, but I was wiser () and much smarter then so I hit the lap button at the third or fourth mile to try and make a correction, but that just threw the whole damned thing off.

My solution afterwards was simple; silence the watch. There, much better now. 👍

on my way to badass

So, just got a few stats from the Marathon that took place with my HM.  This one is impressive- 29.4% of the finishers got a BQ!

on my way to badass

Sounds to me like you did it right!  

Nice job, Stoner!

Thank you.  I always shoot for that pukey feeling, because someone here (could have been Baboon, Jay or a Dave) told me that's the right way to finish

onemile

I don't usually get that nauseous feeling in a half marathon (more of a 5k thing for me). It's usually my legs that start refusing to hold the pace... maybe I am doing it wrong.

on my way to badass

I don't usually get that nauseous feeling in a half marathon (more of a 5k thing for me). It's usually my legs that start refusing to hold the pace... maybe I am doing it wrong.

I doubt that.  I suck at pacing and this is a consequence of trying to make up some time.

Is 10 weeks enough time to try again?  My club has a HM on New Years Day.  Its free or has been in the past.  It's not flat, but neither are my regular routes.

LRB

That it's happened at all means you're doing it half wrong. I, on the other hand, have never been nauseous at any distance, so I'm doing it totally wrong. lol

Actually, I've never subscribed to the theory that nausea is some sort of indicator of exertion or lack thereof. I just think that some people get sick when they push themselves, and others simply do not.

Now what I do get is that leg thing during my half marathons, it's totally weird. 5 and 10ks are just this indescribable distress, and marathons are a level of suck on par with sex with an ex. 👎👎

GinnyinPA

You could definitely do the next race. At this point, you could probably do another in a month, since you've got the endurance.

Congratulations on a good race effort.  I get nauseous too if I push hard at the end.  Makes it hard to eat right away.

Could've been worse as far as confusion; my mile markers came every 0.6 miles. 

Nice job racing yourself to near collapse.

Dave