Beginners and Beyond

Up And At 'em Saturday Penguins! (Read 185 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

GUSTAV!!!!  Good morning buddy!

Okay...so I spent some time yesterday revamping my program, and building in 2 non-running days a week while I get my weight down.  I decided that on those days I'd throw in some weights and cross training.  My body maybe didn't adapt well to running EVERY day, but my mind did.  Yesterday, I ran in the morning, and spent all day thinking that I should be running.

I plan on making one day upper body, core and cardio.  The other day will be lower body, core and cardio.  Pewpewpew says that she'd like me build my arms and chest up again :-)  I imagine that after meeting me during my powerlifting days, and seeing me now is quite the drastic change.  I guess we'll see if I can find a happy medium.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Morning Gustav and Awood!

Awood, it sounds like you have a good plan.

I ran 5 fast (for me) miles last night, 9:37 pace.  That's my fastest paced run yet.

I'm heading out for a couple hours of cross country skiing and will be running 7 miles later.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gustav, awood/pew3, and Speedy Steph.

Short track run for me and dw, maybe.  Only other activity was using a Chiles gift card for lunch yesterday.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Steph - Hours of cross country, and THEN 7 miles?  Hardcore!  Make sure that you're back in time for some playoff football, and maybe a nap before the games start.

Jerry - How is dw doing?  Hopefully she's feeling better.  I haven't been to Chiles since the revamped the menu, and kitchens.  I remember talking to the prez of the corp that owns the Chiles around here before they did it.  He seemed pretty excited.  According to him they were going state of the art, and getting back to the foods that made them famous.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Steph - Hours of cross country, and THEN 7 miles?  Hardcore!  Make sure that you're back in time for some playoff football, and maybe a nap before the games start.

Jerry - How is dw doing?  Hopefully she's feeling better.  I haven't been to Chiles since the revamped the menu, and kitchens.  I remember talking to the prez of the corp that owns the Chiles around here before they did it.  He seemed pretty excited.  According to him they were going state of the art, and getting back to the foods that made them famous.

I'm probably going to need that nap! I also see my foam roller and stick being in my near future.  That's why I'm running after the xc skiing.  I will run them slow if need be and even cut it a little short if I have to. I don't want to though, I need my miles.

Jerry, enjoy the track.  Mmmm I love Chilies.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins

Thanks for getting it started Gustav!

awood- I like your plan. Will you have a day of total rest or just as needed?

Steph- whoa that's a LOT of activity and running today! Superwoman, you are

Jerry- don't get too dizzy on the track

AFM- good news all around in my camp today. Went to yoga after work yesterday. The instructor always asks if anyone has any injuries, body parts bothering them, or something they particularly want to work on before every class. I told him about the IT band, and it turns out he is a runner too and I didn't know! There was only one person other than me in the class yesterday, so he was able to gear a lot of poses towards me and my IT issues so that was nice. Then I came home and my foam roller had arrived. Rolled it out last night and this morning. Wow it hurt but also felt good. Then, this morning it was finally time to try a little running (well, more like jogging, but I'll take what I can get). As it was recommended to me to avoid hills completely, I knew the perfect place was a very flat jogging path next to the water in the park by my apartment. I live in a hilly neighborhood, and there is only one way to get to the jogging path without encountering any hills, so I power walked that route there (almost a mile), then when I got to the path I started running really slow. I promised myself A) even if I felt fine I would keep it sloooow, B) even if it felt fine I would keep it short- between 1-2 miles, and C) if it hurt at ALL I would stop. Well I got just under 1.5 miles in just over 20 minutes, did .73 one direction and then turned around so I could walk back on the non-hill route (yeah, I could have probably walked faster! making myself run slow was hard because my fast is other people's slow haha) and the knee held up fine! Began to feel a little tightness at around a mile, but then it loosened up.

Have a great Saturday!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Kristin:  it's a Magic Roller. !!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

AW:  Liked the Chiles wireless ordering/payment system. Too bad the server didn't enter the bill correctly ($20 for 2 was put in separately).  Tacs and Fajitas,    Yummy !!!  DW is much better, thanks for asking.

Good morning friends

Gustav- thanks for getting us rolling this am.

Awood- after my marathon, I plan on lifting some also, I just don't want to be the guy with upper body muscles and chicken legs. I am not a huge fan of squats, mostly because I feel weak Sad . DW likes muscles too.

Steph- I have never been cross country skiing, but I am sure it would kick my butt. Enjoy the rolling and nap. Congrats on the fast run last night.

Jerry- chilis sounds more fun than the track. Enjoy the day.

Kristin- woohoo for the yoga that helps. And having a yoga teacher that is a runner will be great in the future. Knowledgeable people are good to have on your side.

AFM- SRD. Yesterday we switched the kids' rooms and had to paint one from blue to a tan color. That wasn't too painful. Today is finish decorating and probably some football on tv.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  I was up early to get DD to an event for her robotics team.  NASA is presenting this year's challenge, and then they will have 6 weeks to design, program, and build their robot to meet the challenge.

RD for me, although it is our turn to make dinner for the robotics team- 40 students and 10 coaches.  There is one other family that is helping, luckily!

Awood- Sounds like a great plan!  Although I have to say that I've always had a good run when I've done a strength/flexibility workout before my run.  I guess I am already warmed up then?  So you might want to play around with a "double" and one RD and see if you like that.  And please tell PewPewPew hello for me, since I didn't see the thread where she posted until late that day.

Steph- Great 5 miler!  In my Pfitz book, he says you can substitute cross country skiing for easy miles some of the time.  So if you're just not feeling it when you get home, it might make sense to do that.

Jerry- Good luck dodging walkers at the track!  Maybe you guys need to run in scary lucha libre masks or something!  And bells.

Kristin- Rolling, stretching, and easy running is what helped my IT band get better!  Although I think I read somewhere that going too slowly can irritate the problem because of your gait.  So I tried to keep my pace about normal, but kept the distance slow.  For a while I rolled all the time, now it's just a couple of times a week seems to be enough.  I can feel when I need it long before I feel any pain.

T-rod- Enjoy the RD!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - I will take a total rest day when needed, but right now a total rest day drives me up a wall.  We'll see how this goes.  It sounds like you have an awesome yoga instructor, and you're on the right track.  I hope things keep heading in a positive direction.

Jerry - That's good to hear about your DW.  I'm sure the servers have a lot to learn with all of the new technology.  I'm sure the cooks had a learning curve too.  The way he described the new cooking equipment sounded space aged.  Sounds like they can cook something just like in oven, but faster than a microwave would.

T-Rod - I'm purposely avoiding all competitive lifts for right now (squats, deadlift, bench).  If someone sees me doing any of them, they're going to try to convince me to come back to competitive lifting.  It happened 2 years ago, and I could feel the competitive juices start to bubble up.  So, I left the gym...lol

Zel - Do they build the fighting robots?  I used to love getting home from the bar at 4 AM, and watching those on TV.  It was awesome!  Robots in general are pretty cool, but watching them fight is about as good as it gets.  I'll keep that concept in mind as I continue to play with my program, and I'll also let P3 know you said hello.

My workout went well.  I'm keeping the weights very light right now.  Last time I committed to weight lifting again, it only took a month and I was doing shoulder press with 100 lb dumbbells. I really don't want to add mass, but just tone some things up and keep the joints healthy.  I did a full upper body workout with compound dumbbell lifts, short rest periods, 10-12 reps.  Then, I did 15 minutes of circuit style core work, and 30 minutes on an ARC trainer (kinda like an elliptical).

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - MORNIN'!

Awood - nothing worse than being stuck somewhere you need to be and your mind is stuck on running!

Steph - great pace!

Jerry - nothing wrong with that.

Kristin - Yeah for the roller!

T-Rob - that isn't too bad a transition.  My DD wants hot pink...  dad hasn't relented on that one yet.  LOL

Zelanie - good luck to your daughter.  Enjoy the RD!

AFM - no running today but about to go on a hike with my DW.  Need to scout a trail I'll be trying to run on a week from today.  If it is too uneven/rutted I'll have to pick an alternate route.  BEAUTIFUL sunshine outside today...  Catcha later!

My workout went well.  I'm keeping the weights very light right now.  Last time I committed to weight lifting again, it only took a month and I was doing shoulder press with 100 lb dumbbells. I really don't want to add mass, but just tone some things up and keep the joints healthy.  I did a full upper body workout with compound dumbbell lifts, short rest periods, 10-12 reps.  Then, I did 15 minutes of circuit style core work, and 30 minutes on an ARC trainer (kinda like an elliptical

when I was lifting last spring, it was mostly dumbells. I haven't touched a weight in months though Sad I really need to, but I will probably start with pushups and pullups at the house.

I won't make time to lift and run and right now running is my priority.

Tomas

T-Rob - that isn't too bad a transition.  My DD wants hot pink...  dad hasn't relented on that one yet.  LOL

AFM - no running today but about to go on a hike with my DW.  Need to scout a trail I'll be trying to run on a week from today.  If it is too uneven/rutted I'll have to pick an alternate route.  BEAUTIFUL sunshine outside today...  Catcha later!

Hot pink room would be a no go around these parts. My daughter is 6 mo and son is 5 yrs, so their votes don't count. DW picks colors and my vote doesn't count either Smile

Tomas