Beginners and Beyond

Ban Fireworks (Read 88 times)

Turtle Power

Just a bad holiday weekend all around this year. Sad.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I hate fireworks. I live within an hours drive of PA. Marylanders flock there to buy fireworks that are illegal in MD and then shoot them off for hours. There is no enforcement unless there is damage or injury. People show no regard for their neighbors who may have young kids, pets, veterans, etc who are sensitive to the noise. Huge pet peeve.

StepbyStep-SH

If they are used responsibly, I don't mind them. And I know they can be fun for a lot of people. But I hate when they go into all hours of the night, are used dangerously, and people don't clean up after it.

I think Wisconsin is one of those states where certain things are legal to sell, legal to own, but illegal to actually use (WTF??). I said something this weekend to an acquaintance who happens to be a reserve sheriff's deputy about how I thought that anything that shoots into the air was illegal (after seeing plenty of them in my neighborhood the night before). His comment about enforcement: Have you ever tried to dig a hole in dry sand?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

RSX

They are banned here in MA, but so many people get them in NH. Less explosive would be a great idea as the ban doesn't stop kids from getting them. 1 little boy had a terrible accident with 1 he may have found the other day.

happylily

I have zero interest in fireworks and I'm not sure I have an opinion on whether to ban them or not. I guess their legality could be based on the average IQ of each state's residents.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I have zero interest in fireworks and I'm not sure I have an opinion on whether to ban them or not. I guess their legality could be based on the average IQ of each state's residents.

IQ does not always correlate to common sense.

I don't know how you can possibly justify banning them when guns are legal. I voted for more education, maybe some PSA's with really graphic photos of the results of fireworks accidents, like those movies they made us watch in driver's ed. Although not really sure that would do anything either. Fortunately it's mainly a once a year thing.

Dave

happylily

IQ does not always correlate to common sense.

I don't know how you can possibly justify banning them when guns are legal. I voted for more education, maybe some PSA's with really graphic photos of the results of fireworks accidents, like those movies they made us watch in driver's ed. Although not really sure that would do anything either. Fortunately it's mainly a once a year thing.

I meant that fireworks should be legal in states with low IQs, of course. (j/k)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

While the 22 year old who died from Maine is getting all of the press, the exact same thing happened here in Michigan a week earlier when a 47 year old father did himself in front of his family.

Living in a state where "illegal" fireworks have been legal since 2012, oddly, I have no real opinion one way or another on the topic. For me fireworks were more of a draw in my teens, twenties and early thirties. Now that I am 47, I find myself wanting to yell out the window to shut that shit up at night, then to yell out of it to clean that shit up the next morning.

I will say that when death (or severe maiming) is a potential result of horseplay while engaging in a given activity, we owe it to ourselves and society at large to get the word out there to not fuck around. Moreover, if we see someone doing dumb shit with an explosive FFS, we should beat them in the head!

catwhoorg

Labrat

In the UK, we had endless firework safety lessons at school. I do think it helps.

Of course Nov 5th, school is in. July 4th, it clearly is not.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

In the UK, we had endless firework safety lessons at school. I do think it helps.

Of course Nov 5th, school is in. July 4th, it clearly is not.

Does everyone wear their Guy Fawkes masks?

You people have issues 

delicate flower

One benefit of growing up in low income housing was that there was a neighborhood lady who always sold fireworks to us kids year round and didn't know any better/didn't care.  She sold us the good stuff too...M80's that would blow a hole in the ground, rockets that were bright AND loud, bricks of firecrackers that we'd set off all at once, etc.  Ain't gonna lie...we had us some fun, unsupervised good times.  Sometimes I wonder how I made it to adulthood in one piece.  

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Ban fireworks

Ban baggy pants

Ban fat

Ban smokes

Ban loud vehicles

Ban gas lawnmowers

Ban Electric lawn mowers

Ban all bladed tools

Ban all tools that are capable of causing harm or damage

Ban all toys that are capable of harm or damage

Ban the sun

Ban deodorant

Ban sweat

Ban life

Ban... fuckit

Grow the fuck up and learn to be god damned responsible... jesus F...  

LRB

So not only did New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul blow a 60 million dollar contract extension offer this weekend (see what I did there Big grin) after a fireworks accident involving his hand, now there's this, FFS:

"According to Jordan Ranaan of NJ.com, the Coral Springs, Florida police have commenced an investigation regarding the incident. Pierre-Paul could face charges for illegal possession of fireworks..."

Half Crazy K 2.0

It is now July 7. And I am still being treated to the fireworks. Thanks neighbor.

Hip Redux

It is now July 7. And I am still being treated to the fireworks. Thanks neighbor.

That's the worst part of the amatuer-hour fireworks.... midnight Friday night, 10am Saturday, Tuesday afternoon.... STOP ALREADY.