Beginners and Beyond

Raining Sunday Penguins.. (Read 40 times)

Zelanie

Traci- Good job getting through it!  Hope you continue to feel better.

Mmmmm...beer

Zel, I vote shoes as well.

Fantastic run today, 15.1 miles around the lake, not a peep out of my ITB.  I'm wondering now if the issue is road camber.  I was fine on the treadmill, and fine today on a dirt trail.  But most of my running is on the road, and I always run facing traffic, so my right leg gets the brunt of the camber, and that's the one giving me problems.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Bin Running

Damaris, Enjoy the recovery...

Dave, sound like a nice run around the lake..

Scotty, the salute to service member run is a good tribute to those that served.. Loved the RR as usual... and you get Tacos... I am in Singapore.. smack right in the equator.. We don't really get tyhoon type of rain like the Philippines but we get heavy downpour.. Dec-Feb is the usual Monsoon for us as the Australia continent heated up for their summer.. I missed Liz and Kara too.. Don't see them around.. and we are missing Jimmy too.

Mitch, Nice run... Did the doc say anything abt no running so hard after the biospy?

Amadas, it takes time to come back after sickness.. take it easy.. You will get there.. Being out already showed your strong determination..

Mel, We get mainly torrential rain.. and often with lightning.. Not a good idea to run if you are not already out there.. haa.. But if you are put there while it rained.. It gave special incentive to speed up and find a shelter or head home.. What brand are the shoes? My Nike only gave me 280+ before I have some pain after raining.. I read that the surface hardness on where you do your run also factor in..

Jack, Congrats on the 40M.. I am on week 4 of my Pfitz and I have yet to touch 40... This week is cutback week so no 40M too.. Maybe my 14/52 pfitz will soon be 14/40.. Hope it doesn't affect me too much..

Vance, you mentioned a trip  to somewhere warm coming up.. Where are you heading again?

Jen, Sound like a wonderful day...

Tomas, awesome run...

Traci, hope your shin recover..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Bin- My "aging" shoes are Mizunos.  They look like they've held up very well, but who knows?  I have also been doing more sidewalk running since it's been dark and I take the sidewalk instead of the park.  And now that I have my Garmin I'm much more tempted to go outside when I might have opted for the treadmill in the past.

Dave- Road camber could be an issue.  Any way to find a sidewalk or other area where you could run in both directions?  I'm also not sure if you saw my post the other day- I'm wondering if you need some more "medium" paced runs in your repertoire.  The all easy miles has done *wonders* for your base, but now that you're racing more often, I'm wondering if your legs need more workouts somewhere in between "race pace" and "easy effort" to help them adapt to the stress of running when you do race?  Just an idea.

Mmmmm...beer

Zel, I didn't see your post, but you have a point, I do need to start doing some tempo runs.  I've been saying for over a month that I'm gonna start doing em, time to get to work. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Hello, hope everyone had had an amazing weekend, I know I have! We finally got to hang out with a friend of mine that we haven't done anything with in forever! Had SO. MUCH. FUN! We went to Tuscaloosa and watched the BCS Championship celebration parade then watched the walk of champions and even got to go out on the football field and got some pretty cool pictures!

After that we went to Buffalo Wild Wings and my friend and I got 50 wings, 10 Asian zing, 10 Parmesan garlic, 10 spicy garlic, 10 hot BBQ, and the last and most definitely the hottest mango habanero. OMG! These things set us on fire, at first all you taste is the sweet mango then  the heat hits your like a hammer to the nut sack! Hell was the only thing that came to mind when I finished those. Oh, also I had a tall glass of Sam Adams seasonal, it was delicious.

We finished the night off with two dozen krispy kreme donuts and hooked up an original Nintendo for some nostalgia

Now for today. After church we took the dogs out to this huge field near our house and got some fun photos of the daughter and the dogs playing, we let them play until they were pretty much asking to go back home at which point my wife and I got ready and went for our run.

I have lost some speed since being sick in Dec but that is ok. All that will come back with me getting back into the groove of running but I did get out and do 10 miles today, my longest run ever! The first 4 miles was with a stroller then my wife took it from me and I was able to really enjoy the rest of my miles.

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 1:51:49.7 10.01 11:10
              1 11:51.2 1.00 11:51
              2 11:51.0 1.00 11:51
              3 11:21.1 1.00 11:21
              4 11:30.6 1.00 11:31
              5 11:19.2 1.00 11:19
              6 11:13.7 1.00 11:14
              7 11:02.0 1.00 11:02
              8 10:54.1 1.00 10:54
              9 10:32.7 1.00 10:33
              10 10:09.4 1.00 10:09
              11 :05.0 0.01 10:29

All but lap 4 I had negative splits so I'm pretty excited about that!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Bin- My "aging" shoes are Mizunos.  They look like they've held up very well, but who knows?  I have also been doing more sidewalk running since it's been dark and I take the sidewalk instead of the park.  And now that I have my Garmin I'm much more tempted to go outside when I might have opted for the treadmill in the past.

Dave- Road camber could be an issue.  Any way to find a sidewalk or other area where you could run in both directions?  I'm also not sure if you saw my post the other day- I'm wondering if you need some more "medium" paced runs in your repertoire.  The all easy miles has done *wonders* for your base, but now that you're racing more often, I'm wondering if your legs need more workouts somewhere in between "race pace" and "easy effort" to help them adapt to the stress of running when you do race?  Just an idea.

My mizuno (inspires) are holding up better are 294M now.. but I rotated between 4 shoes.. and half of my run are on indoor tracks (rubberize material)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Jimmy, welcome back... What do you mean by losing some speed when you are running 10MM? haa..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Jimmy- Congrats on the ten miler!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Is anybody up for a virtual 5K race on February 10th?  Pewpewpew and I are running a Valentine's 5K.

Again, my PR is 25:48:48, but training has been going really well :-)

As for my HM training, I have enough long runs scheduled between now and the HM that if I don't get my long run in that weekend I'll be fine.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

I have Mizunos but I have never kept them after 400 miles.  As I mentioned earlier, the slower the runner, the less miles you can put on the shoe because you're spending more hours out there (which is why I feel the shoe lasts less time).  I think yours are ready to be changed, especially if you don't rotate them much.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Another warm sunny day - at least at first.  Windy and about 45 F.  DH wanted to do a short hike; I wanted either a long hike or a short run - since I wanted to take advantage of the good weather - so I ended up doing both.  Jim, the dog, and I headed up the AT for a couple of miles, then Jim and the dog headed off on a side trail, while I began a slow jog up the AT to a gravel road which I followed for a few miles down off the ridge, then I picked up a rocky wet trail back to the car.  I figure I hiked about 3 miles and ran about 4.  All in all, it was a lovely day in the woods.  There was more ice on the gravel road than I expected, and more water on the trail from recent snowmelt, but it felt good to be running in the sun.  I'm really inexperienced at any kind of technical trail running, but I enjoy trying.  Funny how easy it is to climb  at a walk, but very hard to do it at a run!  Fortunately, most of my running today was downhill.  I had a little problem with side cramps from running a bit too fast, and my hamstring and knees are a bit sore - probably from all the pounding on the descent, but nothing major.

Docket_Rocket

No it wasn't.  Our high today was 82F.  That's warm. Joking

Another warm sunny day - at least at first.  Windy and about 45 F.  DH wanted to do a short hike; I wanted either a long hike or a short run - since I wanted to take advantage of the good weather - so I ended up doing both.  Jim, the dog, and I headed up the AT for a couple of miles, then Jim and the dog headed off on a side trail, while I began a slow jog up the AT to a gravel road which I followed for a few miles down off the ridge, then I picked up a rocky wet trail back to the car.  I figure I hiked about 3 miles and ran about 4.  All in all, it was a lovely day in the woods.  There was more ice on the gravel road than I expected, and more water on the trail from recent snowmelt, but it felt good to be running in the sun.  I'm really inexperienced at any kind of technical trail running, but I enjoy trying.  Funny how easy it is to climb  at a walk, but very hard to do it at a run!  Fortunately, most of my running today was downhill.  I had a little problem with side cramps from running a bit too fast, and my hamstring and knees are a bit sore - probably from all the pounding on the descent, but nothing major.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm officially registered for 3 races now.  I have a 5K in February, a HM in March and a Full in November.  This feels weird.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

I'm officially registered for 3 races now.  I have a 5K in February, a HM in March and a Full in November.  This feels weird.

I know twe feeling at one point I had 3 races the schedule within a month. After my 5k on feb 2nd I won't have a race scheduled until the fall. Just lots of miles and hopefully some weight loss and some new clothes Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas