Beginners and Beyond

T-t-t-tuesday P-p-p-penguins! (Read 31 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's 3 degrees this morning, but it's supposed to snow tomorrow.  That should warm it up a bit.  My wife loves running in the snow.  I liked running in the snow last year, but this year I've been married to the treadmill.  I'll have to get outside tonight though.  I can't seem to get past 5 miles on the treadmill without wanting to just smack my head on the console.  Once I get going outside though, I can go and go.  I'd really like to get in 40 miles this week.  I think without a true long run, that's a good number and I don't plan on running much over 10 miles at once until January.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

DW put my combination lock on the counter.  Guess that is a hint that we will run inside today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

33 degrees this morning in San Antonio.  Back to cold weather again for us.  Planning on doing 3 - 4 miles after work.  However, my crazy cat Peanut, who thinks he is King Cat of the Neighborhood, apparently had a disagreement with another cat.  He is fin, nothing serious, but has a small puncture wound on his neck.  I got the blood all cleaned up out of his fur - he was amazingly patient while I did that - and got his would area all cleaned up and cleaned the wound out, etc. etc. but I  need to take him to the vet today to see if he needs a stitch or two.  So run-time depends on what time I can get Mr. Feline Nutso into the vet.

Finally got the report and photos put up for my third race of this past weekend:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/d52411a523fd4844a97ce973ead6f88b/resume#focus

Posted by Awood:  My wife loves running in the snow.

Wink     Dang, Awood...3 degrees!  Hope you are able to get yourself outside.  Good luck with getting the 40 mile week in.  That's about a month's worth of mileage for me these days, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

DW put my combination lock on the counter.  Guess that is a hint that we will run inside today.

Or she wants you to go stay in the doghouse or outside shed....  Wink

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! I hope to get another 4 in today. DH got Gore-Tex running shoes yesterday. I am experiencing severe envy. Scotty- I hope Peanut is OK. Awood- I hope I don't see 3* this winter.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh no poor peanut scotty!!!

Seems like lots of people are getting snow all over. Us too.

The foot has not gotten better. In fact, after a full day working on it (I am on my feet walking around at work all day) it has gotten worse. Dr Google tells me peroneal tendonitis. God damn it!!!! I took off work today. Was hoping for a snow day so I wouldn't have to but alas we didn't close even though it is snowing a lot. There's no way I was going to gimp around all day, wanted a day of total rest and icing. Decided to gimp on over to the doctors to get it checked out. My annual physical is coming due for work anyway might as well kill 2 birds with one stone (that's a weird phrase.....I don't want to kill any birds with a stone...)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Oh no poor peanut scotty!!!

Seems like lots of people are getting snow all over. Us too.

The foot has not gotten better. In fact, after a full day working on it (I am on my feet walking around at work all day) it has gotten worse. Dr Google tells me peroneal tendonitis. God damn it!!!! I took off work today. Was hoping for a snow day so I wouldn't have to but alas we didn't close even though it is snowing a lot. There's no way I was going to gimp around all day, wanted a day of total rest and icing. Decided to gimp on over to the doctors to get it checked out. My annual physical is coming due for work anyway might as well kill 2 birds with one stone (that's a weird phrase.....I don't want to kill any birds with a stone...)

Sorry about the foot, Kristin.  But at least you still have Great Legs. Big grin

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lol thanks scotty

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Some run and XT tonight.  waiting for the vet to call to tell me about Trixie's results.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  We had ice yesterday, so I worked from home.  They're calling for snow today, but it was only raining when I left, and I have a quartet gig tonight, so I wended my merry way in to work.  My drug rash is flaring up a little, either because the prednisone has worked its way out of my system or because it was a reaction to something else entirely, I don't know.  I had resumed taking my vitamins and omega 3 supplement, so I'll stop them and see if things settle down.  If so, then I'll add them back one at a time.  Life is never dull!!

Awood -- I hate running in the snow, because my feet get wet!  But I hate running on the TM also, so mostly I tend to hibernate in the winter ...

Jerryb -- laughing at your DW!!

scotty -- hope Peanut is ok!  Chewie gets in fights and gets scrapes and scabs, but he won't let us doctor him.

Stone -- have a good 4!!

kristin -- hoping for a quick and easy fix for your foot!!

Docket -- sending good vibes for Trixie!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Me, to doctor: "I think it's my peroneal tendon but I'll let you tell me."

Doctor: "I have no idea, I don't know anything about feet."

Glad I switched doctors from the evil runner hating one. This one likes runners and even runs herself but knows nothing about feet. Super.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Back to work today. Yesterday, after my nearly seven hour drive home, my DDs said I was walking around the house like Frankenstein. Aren't kids great? Going to Costco was torture.  Needless to say, no running for me today, maybe later this week.

Kristin: Great run, but I'm sorry about the foot. Sad

Zelanie

Good morning!  Since I posted my miles, I can now say- I ran 60.3 miles last week!  That tops my previous personal best of 50.2 from last March.

I don't recommend you do it the way I did, though.  I ran my goal HM, then ran 0 miles the following week, then went up to 60.  I was so stiff from the week off that the first few days, I could barely run at all!  It was more of a shufflehobble.  Luckily that got better after a couple of days.

Awood- Sounds like a good plan.  What is the next race you're aiming for?

Jerry- Hope there isn't too much traffic inside!

Scotty- Hope peanut is OK!  Sometimes the vet doesn't do stitches because they want the area open.  Once they gave me some blue stuff that I had to squirt *inside* the puncture wound to prevent infections! My cat was not amused by this.

StoneFence- Have a good 4 miler!

Kristin- Hope that the foot feels better with the rest.

D- Still pulling for Trixie!

HsM- Yikes!  Hope the rash clears itself back up!

Jack- Haha!  Always helpful, aren't they?

SheCan

Good morning penguins!

Awood, at 3* no wonder you're having trouble getting out there, and yeah, the TM is so mind numbing, it really is hard to push past.

Scotty-- ahhhh, poor Peanut!  Even those small cat bites can be serious.  Good thing you knew about it and cleaned the wound right away.  Hope it doesn't get infected.

StoneF-  good job on the miles!  So DH is a runner also?

kristin-- Sad@ the foot and leg.  As much as you work, you must have really been in a heap of pain to have stayed home today.  Although I hope no birds die in the process, glad you're going to have it checked out by the doctor.  (LOL@you and the phrase.  I couldn't see you throwing rocks at birds either.)  I guess the doctors visit wasn't too helpful.  She didn't suggest any xrays or seeing anyone else?

HopesMom-- oh my at the rash coming back.  Shouldn't you call the doctor?  It sounded way serious before.  Anyway, I hope it's just a vitamin thing.

Jack-- LOL@ your DD!  I bet she was super proud of you, and the whole family in fact.  Glad you're doing well enough to be back at work.  Are you going to tell your students about your achievement?

Zelanie-- wow, Z, that's a lot of miles!  Glad the soreness didn't stick around long.  Have you decided what you're going to do next as far as racing?

Mitch (from yesterday)  I wish I knew what it was that caused the soreness, so I could avoid doing it next time. I know I made some training errors in the last few weeks, but I thought I could overcome them.  Bad knees run in my family, so i worry it could be that ancestral ghost coming for me, but mostly, I just don't know.  *shrugs*

I'm still a bit gimpy today, but thankfully the total limp is gone.  I'm glad I'm not running today though, because it feels soooooooo freaking cold here.  I know it's nothing compared to what y'all go through everyday, but still BRRRRR, cold sure is cold!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson