Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: 2019 Race 57 Masquerade Half (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full commentary report below.     

Photos Slideshow is here: 

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252057%2520Masquerade%25205K?sort=2 

BEFORE MY START

My 57th race of 2019 was the Masquerade 5K, held on Aug 26th in San Antonio at the Mariott Hill Country Resort and Spa.  There was also a half marathon and a 10K.  Event start time was 7:30 a.m.  The weather was pretty nice – around 48 degrees at start time – since a ‘cold’ front had moved into San Antonio area for a few days.  A bit chilly for we South Texans since during the week we had been in the 80s on Wednesday, so several participants wearing long sleeves, jackets, etc.  Starting stage was nice with indoor facilities, coffee, water fountains and indoor restrooms.  I live pretty close to the resort so was able to sleep in a bit, and got there with about 45 minutes to the start time, and got a few photos.

Drum players

photo IMG_1613_zpshcepk7hz.jpg

My friends who did the half

photo IMG_1609_zpsarn0b8ta.jpg

photo IMG_1614_zpstnxcvfeu.jpg

Various others

photo IMG_1610_zpsx67ueg9t.jpg

photo IMG_1611_zpspjetnnsy.jpg

photo IMG_1615_zpssgvxbjod.jpg

photo IMG_1617_zpsov3zp7lf.jpg

photo IMG_1618_zpswdcf21ti.jpg

photo IMG_1619_zpsuxa2wfrf.jpg

photo IMG_1620_zpsdvwadfrd.jpg

photo IMG_1621_zpsz08qmgfp.jpg

photo IMG_1623_zpszev2ctuz.jpg

photo IMG_1624_zpsn3tnyhia.jpg

photo IMG_1625_zpskeqmz4wu.jpg

photo IMG_1626_zpshjcpt8dx.jpg

photo IMG_1627_zps20wqjeur.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course was supposed to be all on the golf course trails for the 5K – and pretty hilly – but because we had a major storm on Thursday night and then rain on Friday morning, there was still some standing water in places along the golfcart trails.  So the course was changed up a bit where we started on the golf course trails, went by the resort swimming pool and lazy river, and then diverted out onto the local roads near the resort.  We finished up by coming back onto the resort grounds, finishing going up the only hill on the course, as we wound around some golf-cart trails that took us back to our start/finish area. My garmin showed 3.2 miles and I ended up finishing in 38:13, averaging about 11:46 per mile, and first in my age group of 60 – 69.  So you know it was a pretty small 5K when I end up first in my age group.

photo IMG_1628_zpshck26chx.jpg

photo IMG_1629_zpsachstd66.jpg

photo IMG_1630_zpsxvgwvpvj.jpg

photo IMG_1631_zpsiiwh17g4.jpg

photo IMG_1632_zps52mf3roj.jpg

photo IMG_1633_zpssfvdsz5c.jpg

photo IMG_1634_zpswj5yfypg.jpg

photo IMG_1635_zpsyg0b7cty.jpg

photo IMG_1636_zpse6qnzsjn.jpg

photo IMG_1637_zps9qjr1k15.jpg

photo IMG_1638_zpsdcbjghgn.jpg

photo IMG_1639_zpsk8l8a7f7.jpg

photo IMG_1640_zps13wuqirt.jpg

Heading up the only 5K hill as we go back to that building in the distance where the start/finish was

photo IMG_1641_zpsjlilahzj.jpg

photo IMG_1642_zpsis28tppq.jpg

photo IMG_1643_zpses74cfka.jpg

photo IMG_1644_zpsuk8b2d8w.jpg

photo IMG_1645_zpslrmnhyhe.jpg

Mile 7!  I think we 5k folks went too far..   

photo IMG_1646_zps0e5tpd7u.jpg

After I finished, got a photo of this young lady coming in...I had run with her a bit on the course

photo IMG_1647_zpsavadhupd.jpg

After My Finish

A nice finisher medal for all finishers.  Post-race there was also some food provided that included a small cup of various fruits, and a few cookies, and there was also fresh-off-the grill pancakes.  Water and coffee were the drinks – no post-race beer, darn the luck.  😉  After eating and doing my cool-down walk, I went around and got a few photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, etc.

Our timer and results guy from Athlete Guild race management company

photo IMG_1648_zpsuazvgyq2.jpg

Thanks, volunteers

photo IMG_1649_zpslksdfhko.jpg

The official photographer

photo IMG_1650_zpswlcptbro.jpg

Our MC calling in all the runners and walkers as they finished

photo IMG_1660_zps6c11dvqp.jpg

All the age group medals waiting for the winners

photo IMG_1657_zpssdioijrq.jpg

The Half was the main event

photo IMG_1658_zpsyf0ma4x8.jpg

Happy finishers, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_1651_zpsa20g6b4k.jpg

It was pretty sunny outside, but a chill wind made it feel pretty cool

photo IMG_1656_zpsr1q7tvqa.jpg

photo IMG_1659_zpsir21ntg1.jpg

photo IMG_1661_zpsrh64ygvc.jpg

photo sunny guys_zpsqynwqr8s.jpg

photo after race 1_zpsj8pmv0gp.jpg

photo after race 2_zpseya6kofp.jpg

A table-full of post race food

photo IMG_1652_zpsrqw84dxt.jpg

photo IMG_1653_zps1a9laanm.jpg

Thank you food volunteer

photo IMG_1654_zpsdbvpbge5.jpg

The finisher medal

photo IMG_1655_zpsavplalex.jpg

On my way back to my car, some resort scenery

photo after race 3_zpsrmufdggq.jpg

photo after race 4_zps4dabar5i.jpg

photo after race 5_zps7h9u0xnn.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a nicely done event with a nice quality long-sleeved race shirt, nice finisher medals, and a nice post-race spread.  There was a costume contest also, so several people were in costume, and before the start there was a drum group playing and moving around the pre-start inside area, making this feel kind of like an early mardi gras event.   All nicely done.  Good event that I would do again and would recommend to others.

Thanks to all the folks who made this event happen for we participants: the resort and its staff for the hospitality; all the volunteers that had to be out there way early and out there the day before for packet pickup; all the sponsors that helped make this one happen; the law enforcement officers out there on the roads for us; and the patience of the hotel guests and the golfers out there early, as we runners and walkers invaded their space for a while.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I like the medal. Much fancier than we get around here.

Half Crazy K 2.0

That is a fancy venue. Congrats on the AG win!