Beginners and Beyond

ThursAllergyDailies (Read 40 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good morning.  5 today with 8 strides at the end.  51 and cloudy, but humid enough that I could see my breath from time to time.  Eyes and throat a bit scratchy despite the anti histamines.

I'm weighing Hansons and Pfitzinger for my fall marathon training.  I notice they have a big difference of opinion on tapering. Pfitzinger calls for 3 weeks.  Hansons do 10 days.  Though Daniels doesn't have a daily schedule with weekly mileage, he seems to lean towards the shorter end.  I'm sure at my level I'll do well to follow either plan.  I just found the contrast interesting.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Perfect title Fred. I can feel the pollen today

7mi 9:03 easy. Feel like there’s bricks strapped to my feet.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Yes!  Fucking allergies.

I have 8 with 8 X 100m and Pilates.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I would like to hop aboard that "allergies suck" train.  I'm normally a late season allergy guy (molds and fungus), but I was feeling it after my run last night.  I must have snotted out 10 pounds.

Aaaaaaanyway, I swam 4250 yards this morning aka DOIN' WORK.  An 80 minute swim.  Bike/run workout tonight.

<3

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 12 w/ 5 @ MPish, 2 big hills, then a fast finish down to HMP for the last 800m.  I am feeling strong, and very optimistic for the fall.  Rolling, rolling, rolling.

My 6 year-old Timex had a GPS brainfart sometime during the first couple of miles, and shorted me about 1200m.  I edited the total length, but the splits are screwy for the first 2 miles, and that bothers my obsessive geek side.  It's only happened 4-5 times in many runs, so I can't really complain.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

Good morning!

I ran 12 w/ 5 @ MPish, 2 big hills, then a fast finish down to HMP for the last 800m.  I am feeling strong, and very optimistic for the fall.  Rolling, rolling, rolling.

My 6 year-old Timex had a GPS brainfart sometime during the first couple of miles, and shorted me about 1200m.  I edited the total length, but the splits are screwy for the first 2 miles, and that bothers my obsessive geek side.  It's only happened 4-5 times in many runs, so I can't really complain.

Have a great day!

That's great, man!

I ran 12 miles on my commute to work, with the mountain. It's going to rain this afternoon, so the woman took the car today. By making a long commute, I got to work after her, so I didn't have to carry anything on my back. Shorts, singlets, sunglasses, Adidas shoes with holes on each side for added toe comfort. Pure happiness, I tell you!

KCRuns

Pure happiness, I tell you!

#lifegoals

sdWhiskers

7mi 9:03 easy. Feel like there’s bricks strapped to my feet.

Same here.

5 easy miles. HR was in a good place just felt like I was super fatigued and moving slowly.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey guys...Got through my group run pretty well last night, which was a pleasant surprise. I did the full 6.2 and actually had legs that were moving a wee bit. This morning I intended to do more, but slept in because of a thunderstorm and only did 3ish. Tonight I'm off to see Aladdin as part of our Playhouse Square broadway series season tickets, so no time for another run.

Fred...Nice work on the run. I feel like tapering is something that we eventually all just figure out what is best for us, regardless of what plans call for. I get stale if I taper too, so I avoid the longer breaks. Others do great taking full days off.

Docket...100s sound fun! Sorry about the allergies.

Baboon...full day! I saw your comment about the tri training the other day...makes sense about transitioning from the half to full iron and really only needing a weekend bump.

Pleasant...That's great that you can just enjoy the bike without racing. Great run, regardless of what the watch did!

Cyberic...sounds like a great start to the day! You don't see many 6'7 runners...did you play other sports growing up, or did the slender frame hold you back?

SD...Sorry the run didn't feel great. Miles done though - win!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

5 easy miles. HR was in a good place just felt like I was super fatigued and moving slowly.

I had the same feeling.  My HR was not in sync with my perceived level of effort.  I felt slow and fatigued, but my HR was normal for my pace.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Cyberic

Cyberic...sounds like a great start to the day! You don't see many 6'7 runners...did you play other sports growing up, or did the slender frame hold you back?

Didn't play many sports growing up. Active kid, always outdoors, but nothing organized. Was not the frame, though. I look frail, but I'm actually pretty solid. I don't break easily. I'm like reed, I bend but don't break Smile  I did not play sports because I'm too proud, and not very talented. I could not stand being not good, so I did stuff that didn't require me to be good, like ride my bike, build houses in trees, go bird hunting with my dog. Stuff like that.

Werd.  I figured I better do some speedwork before I forget how, but it was rough after yesterday's hills.  Re-did the 8x1:30 with equal recoveries that I did a couple weeks ago.  It felt so hard, and #6 almost resulted in actual puking.  I don't think I've ever slowed to a walk on a recovery, I guess there's a first time for everything.   Anyway, I'm not unhappy with the splits.  5 miles total.

I'm really digging my new philosophy of ignoring the pace and just run the rep and see what shakes out.  They tend to end up pretty even still, and a helluvalot faster than what my pace predictions were keeping me at.  If I can keep my ATs happy and keep this up, I might actually have some potential for improvement.  What a concept!  I feel like the last 2 years have been pretty stale.  I haven't lost a lot, but I haven't gained a lot either.  Time to level up.

Cyberic...sounds like a great start to the day! You don't see many 6'7 runners people...did you play other sports growing up, or did the slender frame hold you back?

FYP SIAR    I can't believe you made it that far this close to post M.  I was like a drunk person for the first week trying to put one foot in front of the other.  Nice miles.

Cy, the guy moving the car!!!!   That made me laugh so hard!

Whiskers, are you having the horrible humidity down there?  (It feels horrible now at 85%, but I know it gets even worse...)  That sucks the life right out of me, but it's sneaky because the temp isn't that bad.

Allergy people, sorry!  I gave in and just take allergy meds every day of the year, and now don't have much of a problem unless it's crazy bad.  I'm like Boon, mine are the worst in the fall, at which point I add three additional meds to be slightly less miserable.  I'd probably be wiling to see a witch-doctor at that point if I could find one.  Hope it calms down for y'all.

RunningOnSand

Hello, good people of RA. It's Friday Eve, hallelujah.

Allergies here are also hella bad. Sad I'm so sorry, allergy sufferers.

Fred, I did Hansons (Beginner) for a cycle 2 years ago and I really liked it. His speed paces weren't crazy (not like McMillan) and I liked his cumulative fatigue theory. I also am a huge planner and loved the regularity of it. Tues was always speed day. Wed always RD. Thurs always tempos. Then pile on the mileage Sat & Sun. I've looked at Pfitz and it looked more erratic to me, although I don't know from personal experience. I think (from memory) that Dave has used and liked Pfitz. I ended up getting AT, though, at like week 12 of his program. And it has plagued me ever since. *cries*

Pleasant, that's so awesome you're feeling so good and optimistic for the fall!! Best feeling ever.

I ran a super slow 6 with the dog, recovery style from my 400s yesterday. I had to laugh looking at my log, though, b/c supposedly my HR skyrocketed the last couple miles? Ha. I think it synced up with my cadence, mistakenly. ANYWAY...time to go eat.

Cyberic

Cy, the guy moving the car!!!!   That made me laugh so hard!

Me too.

I weighed myself this morning and yep, I've lost weight again. Today at lunch some girl from work sees me by the microwave oven and tells me "I saw you running in the park yesterday. Have you lost weight?". 

Growing up, my sisters and I always found it funny that you never say in front of a fat person that he/she is fat, as it might hurt them. they did not ask to be that way. But skinny people... open bar!

MTA: Man, I'm just a big whiner baby. Just shut up and run! Or shut up and stop running! Whatever, but shut up, ffs!

KCRuns

What distance and effort level do y'all like to do for a shakeout run the day before a marathon?