Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins are up, up, and away!! (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's Phileas Fogg's Wager Day today.  He's the Around The World in 80 Days dude, if you remember.  That sounded like more fun than International No Alcohol Day, although it's also International Day of Non-Violence (and Ghandi's birthday), and Name Your Car Day.  Busy day!!

I have never named a car, except for one hatchback I had that my dad purchased from a little old lady for me.  My grandmother couldn't remember the word "hatchback", so she kept calling it a hunchback.  So that car was the Hunchback from Another Dame.

Welcome to the new folks!!  I like seeing more posts and people.

Got my run/walk with Dusty and DH in this morning, and it was COLD!!  40 degrees, and I am not quite ready for that yet!

Docket, I am stunned by the lack of response to the hurricane.  Hope your folks are ok, and that they can get out if needed.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles tonight.  Very sad about the news out of Las Vegas, Sad

HopesMom, thanks.  They are OK.  Bringing my dad here but the first flight out was the 18th and not sure if he will get cancelled.  We'll see.  He asked for a one way flight and he is capable of staying here forever.  I don't blame him.  I loved both the Around the World book and movie. Nice run/walk!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - I hope your Dad and his GF find someplace besides your home to roost if they decide to stay in Florida long term.  From what I've read, a lot of supplies have been sent to PR, but there is a lack of truck drivers to get things where they need to be. Washed out roads and bridges don't help.

HM - nice job on the chilly walk.

I had a nice 6 mile run this afternoon. It was a beautiful cool day (70) and I wanted to spend time outdoors, so though it was supposed to be a xt day, I did a loop that was extended when my body warmed up and I started to enjoy the run.

Docket_Rocket

The reality is the truck drivers that are there have been trying to move the goods but the government kept putting them in lists and telling them they would call them (even though they have no communications).  Lots of issues there.  The drivers were there and contrary to some rumors, were and are not on strike.  I am glad the Army finally took over but they took over 9 days after they should've so a lot of things are taking longer than they should have.

I also can't believe there are still areas that have not seen any food or water.  It's been almost two weeks.  Sigh.

Nice 6!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page