Beginners and Beyond

Cyber Monday Penguins love to shop online! (Read 340 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Rest day from now until? Gonna call the doc about my foot/ankle. Lets see how long this process takes.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Hope the ankle starts to cooperate Gustav! That sucks for you. I am planning on taking the day off, my run yesterday was slow and depressing! Back on the wagon tomorrow tho!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Gustav, that really stinks about your foot/ankle.  I hope the doc has better news than you expect.

Kristi, enjoy the rest day, sometimes that’s all the body needs.

AFM, Monday is my normal rest day so no running but I have weights and yoga on the schedule for after work.  I woke up feeling a ton better so my fingers are crossed it stays that way. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins!

Gustav, thanks for getting us started this morning!  Sorry the ankle is still bothering you!  Hope the doctor has good news!

Kristi, sorry your run yesterday wasn't as fast as you would have liked.  I hope the RD gives you the break you need to have a great next run!

AFM, technically, I've got an easy 30 min run on the schedule, but depending on how I feel this evening, I may swap out tomorrow's SRD or Wednesday's CT.  My legs feel ok after yesterday's LR, so it will just depend on my mood after being back at work for the first day in 5.  I'm going in with a positive attitude, but we'll see how it goes!

Have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen2011

Hey, Steph, you snuck in on me!  Enjoy the weights and yoga tonight.  I'm glad you are feeling better this morning.  Hope you continue to feel better!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen, thanks me too!

Some replies from yesterday's personals. 

Kristin, I’m so glad to be back. YAY!!!! 5 miles is such a great milestone! If you can run 5 then you can run 6 or 7 which means you can run 10.   Don’t go out and do 10 tomorrow but you are doing great!

Zelanie, I’m so beyond happy that classes are almost done.  I just need to get through 3 ½ more weeks.  I just keep reminding myself the end is near and it will be so worth it.   Yay for good stretches and boy you had a busy day yesterday.

Bin, thanks the avi pic is from a bike ride I took this summer and just had to stop to enjoy the scenery on a little bridge.  I hope you enjoyed your URD.

Awood, yay, awood is here!

Jen, I try to be good about CT.  I worked out (weights, biked, rock climbed) before I started running so it’s not too bad to fit into my schedule.

Jimmy, that sounds like a fun run if I could eat one maybe two doughnuts but a dozen! I would be sick.

Misty, welcome to the igloo… colony… whatever we are, welcome!

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!  3 miles, weights, and core tonight.  Don't know how I feel about that!

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

I already scored a Cyber Monday deal while I ate breakfast -- a Kindle Fire for my folks at only $129.

Damaris -- I love the new avi.  Bad ass indeed!

Four miles on tap for me tonight.

Good morning friends, Damaris- good luck with the workouts later. Btw- your racing schedule is amazing. My wife would shoot me for thinking about that many races Smile Phillie- woohoo on the good deal. Steph- glad you are doing better. Feeling good is so much better than feeling bad. Jen- if the legs feel Ok, go for it. Guatav- I hope you hear good news about the foot. Kristi- a lil rest and you will be good. AFM- knocked out 4 this morning. Our football team kicked butt again this week. 76-35. We are on pace to set the national scoring record. We play in San Antonio this Friday night, I may have to we what races Scotty dog is doing and go meet up with that dude. Make today a great day. Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Good luck with the doctor.  I hope that all of the news is good.

Kristi - Sometimes a day off is just what you need.  Here's hoping that tomorrow is awesome!

Steph - Good to see you again.  Enjoy your weights and yoga.  The fiance is doing yoga tonight.  I might throw in some weights tonight myself.

Jen - It's always good to be flexible with your schedule.  My schedule is so boring right now that there really isn't a lot of swapping to be done.

Docket - Why do I have this feeling that 3 miles for you is a rest day?

Phillie - I'm planning on taking advantage of the deals at socks addict, unless someone knows of a better deal on smart wool socks.

T-Rod - Congrats on the 4, and the awesome football season.  That's exciting stuff.  Any names on that team that I should look for on Saturday afternoons next year?

AFM - Still working on base building.  Ran an hour this morning, which came out to just a hair over 6 miles at an easy pace.  That's my third day at 1 hour.  I'm planning to stick with this plan for the next 3 weeks and then see where I'm at.  It definitely makes the scheduling part easy.

It's good to see everyone again. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins! I will check in later for personals but SRD for me. Have a good day everyone!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy cyber Monday.  

Using a phone makes the format crap. Sorry.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Gustav - Good luck with the doctor.  I hope that all of the news is good.

Kristi - Sometimes a day off is just what you need.  Here's hoping that tomorrow is awesome!

Steph - Good to see you again.  Enjoy your weights and yoga.  The fiance is doing yoga tonight.  I might throw in some weights tonight myself.

Jen - It's always good to be flexible with your schedule.  My schedule is so boring right now that there really isn't a lot of swapping to be done.

Docket - Why do I have this feeling that 3 miles for you is a rest day?

Phillie - I'm planning on taking advantage of the deals at socks addict, unless someone knows of a better deal on smart wool socks.

T-Rod - Congrats on the 4, and the awesome football season.  That's exciting stuff.  Any names on that team that I should look for on Saturday afternoons next year?

AFM - Still working on base building.  Ran an hour this morning, which came out to just a hair over 6 miles at an easy pace.  That's my third day at 1 hour.  I'm planning to stick with this plan for the next 3 weeks and then see where I'm at.  It definitely makes the scheduling part easy.

It's good to see everyone again. 

because it is....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page