Beginners and Beyond

Break Out The Egg Nog Saturday Penguins! (Read 176 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins! I will take some egg nog!

Jerry you get to go to so many movies! I'm lucky if I see 3 or 4 a year in theaters!

Damaris so sorry about your race this morning Sad I hope you feel better

Rest day for me. Probably going to yoga at 1:30 though.

Right now my mission is to procure an ugly Christmas sweater for an "ugly sweater party" tonight!!

So, question. Yesterday evening's run that I set out planning on 3 miles and ended up going almost 5 (see the end of yesterday's Penguin thread if you want details, it was a cool run!), should I count that as my long run and do a 3 mile run tomorrow, because my plan for the week was a 2 mile run (did that Weds), a 3 mile run, and a 4-5 mile long run. It's supposed to be a recovery week after racing a 10K on Sunday. I am not sore anymore and feel fine, but I don't want to overdo it. Doing another 5 mile run tomorrow would put me at 12 miles this week, which would be my all-time high (which sounds pathetic compared to what most of you do....but that's all the training plan I was following for my last race called for). I am looking to build my base and get my mileage up, but is the week that's supposed to be a "recovery week" a bad time to do it?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

I think that if you feel good and strong, there's no reason to do another 5 tomorrow  - just take it SLOW!

hog4life

Kristin, start out for 3, and if you feel okay, add 1 or maybe 1.5 more. You're looking to start bumping it up a little anyways, right? Damaris, darn the luck, feel better. I'm looking for 9-10 after I finish with DW the last minute stuff.
        Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Mitch - good luck with your 10ish!! Hope you and the DW get everything done. Smile

Zelanie

Good morning, Penguins!  *Pours a round*

Today is a RD.  I was tempted to run anyway so that I don't get behind on miles for this week too, but I've run 3 days in a row including two quality workouts and I think that I need the recovery time.  This is also my last week before starting my HM plan, and like Awood, I'm torn between bumping it up so that the first week feels like a cutback, or taking it easy so that I'm rested up and ready to go.  I had wanted to get at least one 35 mile week in December, and so far the most I've gotten is 32.  But it's not like there's anything magical about that number, I suppose.  The plan starts with 30 for the first week.

I am going to spend part of the day visiting my MIL, and then I need to start some serious cooking baking.  I can't believe I haven't baked any yet!

Gustav- When I'm actually doing weights that's what I do too- try to gradually bump up the weights but keep sets and reps the same.

Jerry- Wow, you do watch a lot of movies!  I thought Moonrise Kingdom was great.  Sadly, I haven't seen the rest on your list.  I think we're going to try to watch the Hobbit and Django Unchained over break.  I want to see Anna Karenina but it's not in our area.

D- I am so sorry that happened to you!  Hope your running luck turns around soon.

Doc- Maybe if you can fall asleep and stay running that would be an accomplishment.

Kristi- Enjoy your day!

Awood- Enjoy your 10-12!

Kristin- I agree with the others.  The best way to follow a plan is to pay attention to how you're feeling and adjust accordingly.  If you run 3 tomorrow and are still feeling good, then by all means keep going!  It could be that you don't need as much recovery this time around as you'd planned.  On the flip side, there might be weeks where your legs are telling you that they need some more rest even though they "shouldn't" need it on paper.  So it all evens out.

Mitch- GL finishing up your last minute stuff and getting your run in!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - I'm breaking my running streak, and taking a rest day.  I know that goes against my earlier post, but I just posed the question in another thread.  I think my knee, and probably the rest of me needs a day off. 

As for the streak, I made it 28 days and 160 miles.  My longest streak before that was 4 days...lol  To celebrate the streak I'm going to buy some new shoes.  These shoes are pretty darn high in the miles.  I'm just waiting to see if my expense check comes today.  Merry Christmas to me. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kitteh

Awood, I think you are making the right choice. The streak won't be a success if you injure and end up sidelining yourself right before hm training starts. Take care of that knee! 28 days and 160 miles is impressive!

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Zelanie

Awood- Good for you!  I think you're making the smart choice.  Here's to a great training season.

kitteh

I wanna do more personals, but I'm on my phone and it won't let me start new lines of text, so it would be a total jumble. Fanatismo, hope your knee is also doing well soon and that there isn't any long-term damage. And Kristen, way to go on the impromptu long run! Those are the best! If I were you I'd shoot for 3 today but go up to 4.5 if it felt good. AFM-- I have 4 planned for today which will bring me to 22 for the week, which is my highest pwm (pregnant weekly mileage)

Running for two!

kitteh

LOL my phone auto corrected Damaris to Fanatismo, but I like it so I'm not going to edit that post.

Running for two!

SheCan

Morning Penguins!   Hope you're all enjoying the cold.

Gustav-  You've earned that new exercise mat!   Plus it's Christmas!

Docket-  Sorry your race went that way.  Ugh@ that girl.  Hope your knee's going to be okay.

Doc Liz--  Tis the TM season.  Good for you for at least getting your runs in that way.

LRB-  hey you!  Hope you're having a good holiday season.

Jerry,  you are the movie master!  Have you seen The Hobbit yet?  I'll have to remember to come to you if I need a movie preview.

Kristin-- you're doing fantastic.   Just listen to your body- and be honest with yourself.  If you're doing fine, then don't worry about the extra miles.  My problem is, that I'm often in denial when it comes to needing a break.

Zelanie-- hope you have a pleasant visit with the MIL, and have fun baking--- what all are you making anyway? (pictures are welcome!)

Awood, awesome streak you've done!   You're making a smart chose in taking a break rather then risking a more serious injury.  Glad you're treating yourself with shoes.  Merry Christmas!

Well, I slept in a bit today.  Went to bed last night with a headache and woke up with a headache (not a hangover, I swear!)  I wanted to get in about 6 miles today, but I may decide to just take it easy.  Than again, I do kinda want to put in those miles!  Well, I'll decide soon.  Take care for now everyone!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

lol, kitteh, I'm wondering what in what context your phone learned the word Fanatismo!

kitteh

I text in Spanish a lot, DH is Chilean. And loves soccer, which might have been the context for the fanatismo. But why it decided to auto-correct to that from Damaris is beyond me! Unless my phone already knows her, maybe? Wink

Running for two!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I had just enough time while the forum was down to go buy some new running shoes.  The first pair are Saucony Progrid Omni 11's.  I've had my eye on those for a while.  I also got a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13's.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I had just enough time while the forum was down to go buy some new running shoes.  The first pair are Saucony Progrid Omni 11's.  I've had my eye on those for a while.  I also got a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13's.

Christmas shopping.....DONE. !!!!