Beginners and Beyond

Rainy Thursday Penguins (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Raining here in San Antonio today...but it will still be 70 degrees for my run/walk time after work today,so that's okay, at least it's not a cold rain.  The plan is for about 3 to 4 easy miles done in a local park.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Scotty.  Just keep the rain down there till Sunday night.

5 done this morning.

hog4life

Scotty, enjoy your run later.

Last night was the worst run ever for me. I stopped after just 1/2 mile. We had a vendor bring food into work, and I over indulged to the point my stomach was about to bust. I was still too full after 6 hours, so when my chest cavity started heaving for more air, it was very painful....run over! Tonight I have to go pick up some equipment to do split timing. I will be the timer at mile 17 of our local marathon on Saturday morning. I'll try to run a little when I get home. And I definitely will not be eating as much today.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 10 miles done, more tonight after weights and Pilates.  Working from home today, so I had time to run in the morning.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

I have a theory that posting my intended workout in the morning means I don't do it. That is, I didn't do tabata last night. :P But I'm thinking I'm running 28 minutes tonight. Come on, self.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I do NOT have a gig tonight!!  Last night's gig was really nice -- a little retirement community, and we sang for maybe 25 people.  Smiles and sing-alongs, good times for all.  I'm really grateful we don't have a gig tonight, though, my face could use a break from the makeup!!  No break for my voice, though, as I have chorus rehearsal!  

Scotty -- no rain here, but it's nowhere near 70 degrees!!

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your 5 done!!

hog -- wow, maybe last night wasn't the night to go for a run!!  Good luck reining it in today!!

Docket -- Woo-hoo for 10 and working from home!!

obie -- Too late, you posted it!!  Hope your 28 comes true!!

Ginny tossed in last night's thread about her birthday celebration.  Happy birthday, Ginny!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya Pens...

We have another big storm that is going to hammer us later today and tomorrow. All the sandbags are still in place from the last storm so I don't have to go lugging them about in the rain. We need the rain but I can do without the mud.  In the meantime, I hope to get in a 6 mile tempo run before the rain.

Bye.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - no rain here, just a few snowflakes.  Enjoy your wet run later.

PAD - getting excited?  Good job on the 5 this a.m.

Damaris - nice start to the day.  Have fun with your evening exercise as well.

Mitch - that sounds painful.  I hope today goes much better.

obiebyke - okay so don't do 28 tonight, do 30.  Good luck.

HM - I hope rehearsal goes well.

Jack - good luck with the rain.  I hope the mud stays away.  Enjoy your tempo run.

AFM:  31 feels like 21 - it's cold out there!  Walking Ben was not a lot of fun in the icy wind.  We have company coming, so I'll probably only get a mile or so on the TM later, if that.  Hate to break my streak though.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Got a streak run (1.2 miles) done on the treadmill this morning.  I did it without my ankle brace!  That was my first ankle brace free run :-)

Today I have to pick up my race stuff for the 15k I'm running.  I'm hoping to run it at a 10:44 pace which is the pace I ran my half marathon at a year ago.  Whether or not I can pull this off is to be determined - I haven't really done any runs (even short ones) at that pace since before I was injured.

scotty - enjoy the rain

PAD - good job getting the miles in

hog - feel better!  Running on an overly full stomach is terrible.

DR - 10 this morning and more later?  you are a machine!!

obie - just don't post your workouts until after you've done them ;-) problem solved!

HsM - enjoy your night off

Jack - good luck with the storms!

Ginny - just get an easy mile in!  keep the streak alive!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am hoping it will be gone by Sunday, PAD!  I have the Wine and Dine 5K in the PM on Sunday; not good if it rains all over the food!

Live and learn, Mitch!  On the bright side, at least you did not puke up anything while out there on the run.  Hope your run today for you goes much better!

10 miles done already, Damaris!  What the heck time did you have to get up to get all that done?

Gotta think of something to self-motivate you to get you out the door/do what you're' supposed to do, obiebyke.  Then put it someplace where you can see it as a 'reminder' to get your workout done.  When I first moved to Texas from Ohio, I got here in Texas SUMMER and that first year I was just SO darn lazy with the drastic change in temp.  One reason why I had my 'cancer shirts' made up...helps remind me why I keep running.  Now when I get lazy, all I have to do is open my shirt drawer....

Maybe the storm will not be as bad as expected, Jack.  Wishing you and yours all to be safe!

Enjoy the gig break, HsM.

I would rather have rain than snow, Ginny!  Hope you have 'good' company coming...e.g., people you like and not relatives you feel you just HAVE to deal with at times...  Happy Birthday!  How's it feel now to be of legal age? 

Good luck with your 15K, sapf!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Scotty, we are going to get deluged here starting tonight.  Hope you have a nice rainy run.

Mitch, that sounds uncomfortable...

obie, you can do it!!

Ginny, keep it up!  It's only a mile, you can do it!

PAD & Damaris, nice running.

HopesMom, that's really sweet.  I'm sure the folks really appreciated it!  My daughter used to dance on an Irish dance team that would go around to nursing homes and the residents just loved seeing the girls.

sapf, is your race Saturday?  Good luck!

I ran 6 this morning.  I might get 6 more in this afternoon if it's not raining.  I know it will be raining in the morning so I want to get tomorrow's run done tonight. Smile

Hiya Pens,

I ran 5 pre-dawn miles in the misty, wet air. It was 33 degrees, which sort of scared me when I stepped outside. Figured it would be a miserable, soggy run. But it was downright enjoyable. If it weren't for the Holiday Streak and for the fact that I spent a bunch of time entering my training plan into this app, it would have been so easy to talk myself out of a run. While running, I was thinking about my fellow Penguins and wondering who else was slopping through their run. Must have been Scotty!

Hog - What an awful feeling. Way to go for volunteering at the marathon.

Damaris - 10 miles in the morning before work???? Holy Moly! You Rock!! How was your party?

Go, Obie, Go!

Jack - can't imagine the worry that must come along with a rain that requires sand bags. We just have to duck and cover from tornadoes here.

Ginny - Happy Birthday, to you! Keep the streak alive. Your guests won't mind you sneaking away for a little bit. They'll be amazed with your commitment.

Sapf -- good luck in your race! Congrats on the brace-free run.

HsM - those folks must have just loved your performance last night.

Brilliant - 2 6-miles runs in one day? This bears repeating, "Holly Moly!" BTW, I agree with earlier posts, your son looks more like a brother!

Can you guys tell, when I'm at work posting rather than late night on my phone? Too hard to post replies on my phone at night...it's just about me, then.  Really do enjoy hearing about everyone's adventures.

Take care.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Docket_Rocket

I am hoping it will be gone by Sunday, PAD!  I have the Wine and Dine 5K in the PM on Sunday; not good if it rains all over the food!

Live and learn, Mitch!  On the bright side, at least you did not puke up anything while out there on the run.  Hope your run today for you goes much better!

10 miles done already, Damaris!  What the heck time did you have to get up to get all that done?

Gotta think of something to self-motivate you to get you out the door/do what you're' supposed to do, obiebyke.  Then put it someplace where you can see it as a 'reminder' to get your workout done.  When I first moved to Texas from Ohio, I got here in Texas SUMMER and that first year I was just SO darn lazy with the drastic change in temp.  One reason why I had my 'cancer shirts' made up...helps remind me why I keep running.  Now when I get lazy, all I have to do is open my shirt drawer....

Maybe the storm will not be as bad as expected, Jack.  Wishing you and yours all to be safe!

Enjoy the gig break, HsM.

I would rather have rain than snow, Ginny!  Hope you have 'good' company coming...e.g., people you like and not relatives you feel you just HAVE to deal with at times...  Happy Birthday!  How's it feel now to be of legal age? 

Good luck with your 15K, sapf!

I am working from home so I woke up at my normal 5:30am time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

The party was fine.  Here is a picture of me and two coworkers:

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Hey guys. We are actually trying to be social and stuf before and after work since we have our exchange student, so not as much computer time for me! I have 6 scheduled for tonight. There is also a high wind warning, so we'll see.

Damaris, you have to get a picture of the bitch so that we have a face to put with the stories. Smile