Beginners and Beyond

Better Eight Than Never SunDAILIES (Read 56 times)

BruceD555

C...C..C...Cold. Fingers barely work ... still white and numb. Just in from 22 miles (8:49 ave) in constant rain at a feels like temp of 28 degrees with 20 mph winds. I'm miserable but my OCD is happy the run is checked off the list.

I changed into dry clothes and am sitting by the fire with a stocking cap on and am still shivering. I got soaked to the bone but the legs and lungs felt like I could have done another 15 miles if I hadn't been so dog-on cold.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Congratulations, Oski!

delicate flower

Well that was interesting.  LOL  First off, no one told me there was a big friggin hill in the middle of the race and second - 1 mile of the 5K was still covered in a foot of snow, so they shortened it to a 2.4 mile race.  Alrighty then.  And yeah, uh, someone went out too fast.  

Small field - I was 13/35 overall, 5th woman, 1st in AG (but they only gave out awards to the overall winners).

Hill profile:

HOORAY!!!  How'd the knee hold up?

<3

StepbyStep-SH

C...C..C...Cold. Fingers barely work ... still white and numb. Just in from 22 miles (8:49 ave) in constant rain at a feels like temp of 28 degrees with 20 mph winds. I'm miserable but my OCD is happy the run is checked off the list.

I changed into dry clothes and am sitting by the fire with a stocking cap on and am still shivering. I got soaked to the bone but the legs and lungs felt like I could have done another 15 miles if I hadn't been so dog-on cold.

Hard core! May I recommend a double-warm liquid for the inside - something along the lines of Irish coffee or hot chocolate with either peppermint or cinnamon schnapps? You definitely earned it.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Bruce, you're my hero today.

Oski, congrats! That elevation profile is nuts.

Rondog65

Thanks for the positive feedback and encouragement.  I didn't mean to miselad anyone on my post.  I have recently completed my first Half Marathon, completing the Hyannis Half Marathon on 2/24 and was very happy with my performance. I am currently training for my 2nd Half Marathon; John Kelley 5/24 and will look to finish the 2013 Trifecta Half Marathon series in my area with the Harwich Cranberry Half Marathon on 10/06 (posted about this elsewhere).  Today's run was the best run since the Half Marathon, not injured, just mental and tired of the poor weather.

Thanks again for your positive support.

Ron

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Well done sir! Think of all those locals who you got fitter than today while they stayed inside.

Oski...interesting indeed! Nice finish though.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Hip Redux

HOORAY!!!  How'd the knee hold up?

Pretty good, but I definitely could feel it a little bit on the downhill.    All and all, I can't complain (though secretly I was glad it was shorted by a bit, to help me ease back into distance).

Bravo, Bruce!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Page 1 :

Sparker hope you didn't have to do the tm.

BS hope the 15 went well.

Phil I love having days with not much on them  My Sunday's I try to be long run and nothing else days.  Today was that and we decided to go to the movies.

Lily that is a lot of MP miles.

Ami nice race yesterday.

Kristin nice run.

Robert nice run.

April love steel cut oats.

Dave hope you got your 50's.  I grew up outside Detroit (Troy)  My dad still lives there.  When I talked to him today it wasn't raining there yet.

Basya hope you got resgistered

LRB some of us were out running before 8 am.....I tried to stay off my phone so I wouldn't get distracted.

Marjorie

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Good afternoon, great daily people!

I've been a man of few words lately, with the crazy work schedule along with driving 475 miles Friday to run a race, then driving back 475 miles today so that I can go to work tomorrow.

The race went well - I surprised myself with a bit more speed than I thought I had. Apparently, mediocre training is better than no training at all. Smile

Anyway, the race report for anybody interested. Not much of a write-up but I wanted to get something out there....

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/92035b635b6e499fa678a632b992778d/resume#focus

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Page 2:

Oski hope it went well.

Beth nice run.

Basya nice 10!

Dtothe2 nice run.  Why slow down?

Lily I can't run that fast but I didn't take a break with my run either.

Ric nice run.

LRB I haven't been bowling in forever.

Out of the blue good for you on hilly 12.

Marjorie

Yep, did it on the treadmill. Pouring rain all day. But it was all good and felt great!

Page 1 :

Sparker hope you didn't have to do the tm.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Serious dedication, dude! I recommend a 30-minute hot shower.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Can you adjust jerusalem? There are several calculators that would guesstimate the actual time considering those factors. Also, calculate the 5K and use an in between the two.

Rondog65, welcome aboard, 6.9 I mighty fineSmile

SIAR, terrific 13.4. Your dinner sounds like a balance of protein, carbs, and fat.

I'm wonder what to do about my half in May. I'm not using Jerusalem to calculate my training paces. Jerusalem is almost half a mile above sea level an very hilly; my half will be on a flat course in South Boston. My last race was a 5K this past Thanksgiving. Before that, I ran a miler in July.  My next race will be a five-miler in four weeks.

Eh, guys? Suggestions? How should I calculate my training paces?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page