Beginners and Beyond

Better Eight Than Never SunDAILIES (Read 56 times)

Well that was interesting.  LOL  First off, no one told me there was a big friggin hill in the middle of the race and second - 1 mile of the 5K was still covered in a foot of snow, so they shortened it to a 2.4 mile race.  Alrighty then.  And yeah, uh, someone went out too fast.  

Small field - I was 13/35 overall, 5th woman, 1st in AG (but they only gave out awards to the overall winners).

Sounds like an experience! Hmm, can't imagine why only 35 people show up for a race with a foot of snow on the ground. Some people have no sense of adventure.

And thanks for revealing your gender for those of us who didn't know, can't tell much from your profile....

Dave

Docket_Rocket

10 additional miles tonight. 20.05 for the day. Feeling much better that the humidity has lowered. It was 80F and sunny but I felt much better in this nice weather.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Luke79

4.83 easy @ 9:19 pace after 5 miles on the mtb.  I absolutely LOVE daylight savings time, even though it made me late for work this morning lol.  Yeah I forgot to set the clocks back last night o.O

64° and sunny on my run, gotta love it.  There were SOOO many people out biking, walking and running in my neighborhood.

Hip Redux

Sounds like an experience! Hmm, can't imagine why only 35 people show up for a race with a foot of snow on the ground. Some people have no sense of adventure.

And thanks for revealing your gender for those of us who didn't know, can't tell much from your profile....

(from the Wikipedia page) "Oski's identity is protected by the Committee and wearers of the suit generally do not disclose their having worn the suit. There may be multiple members of the Committee who wear the suit depending on their schedules."

I am a bad Oski.    The community will be after me, I'm sure!

MarjorieAnn3137, I did register. And I'll even be able to retrieve my packet on race daySmile

Congratulations, Tom!!!

Damaris, I'd love to. Would you be able to recommend one? Otherwise, I'm thinking that I'll continue to do long runs, speedwork, and easy runs for fun, playing with the speed/pace, and using my five-miler on April 7 and, then, working from that for my half on May 26.

Damaris, I'm happy that you're feeling better and that your seconh run went well.

Luke, sweet 4.83.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oski congrats on the AG award, even if you didn't get an actual award. That is quite a "surprise" hill!! And now you have a 2.4 mile PR that will probably never be broken haha. And I don't know why I thought you were male....oops!

wow Bruce!!! Get warm, major props to you for running in that for so many miles!!!!

Thank you to anyone who offered advice about the pacing of my easy runs.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

(from the Wikipedia page) "Oski's identity is protected by the Committee and wearers of the suit generally do not disclose their having worn the suit. There may be multiple members of the Committee who wear the suit depending on their schedules."

I am a bad Oski.    The community will be after me, I'm sure!

Thanks for the reference. I had no idea what Oski was, or that any other school used the same "Oski-Wow-Wow" cheer we used at my alma mater Illinois. Sadly our mascot Chief Illiniwek was "retired" a few years ago for cultural sensitivity reasons.

The more important factoid from the Wikipedia page is that "Oski chugs beer through a hole in his right eye".

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

oh and I'm glad the second run went well Damaris!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hi dailies:

Sparker - hope the rain held off for you

Beth - other than one short freak thaw, sounds similar to our winter.  Great job on the 500' gain

D - sweet job on the big double

Lily - tough workout, nice job

Rick - peanut butter jelly time!

Baboon - don't let DW know about that self-PT... oh wait she reads this, nevermind.

Robert - glad you're back at it

AmiK - enjoy the family day

Kristin - most people advise that "easy" is not a number but an effort.  It can vary greatly depending on how you feel that day.

April - nice job on the 11

Oski - congrats on a strange race.  You deserve an AG award, could always make one for yourself.

Hog - hi

OOTB - good that the 12 went well

Basya - it's always fun, just some days more than others

Step - I'll have to try cycling indoors sometime, but there are a couple really tight turns in my hallway...

Ric-G - kids were smart not to lose that hour of sleep

D^2 - nice pace

DaveP - those may have been "joggers" that you saw

Alexis - gl with hitting the books

Fuzzy - glad the back is ok

Marjorie - nice LR

Rondog - nice run, we're on the cusp of the end of winter.  Hopefully.

SIAR - sounds delicious, marathon training grants some wiggle room in "healthy"

Bruce - you sir, are a rock star.  Awesome defiance of mother nature.

Luke - there's always one, lol.  Loving DST, now after-work runs won't be dark.

As for me, 13.1 miles that were probably my best run of the year so far.  Saving the deets for the RR Smile

Hip Redux

Oski congrats on the AG award, even if you didn't get an actual award. That is quite a "surprise" hill!! And now you have a 2.4 mile PR that will probably never be broken haha. And I don't know why I thought you were male....oops!

Ha!  I totally wanted a 2.4 mile PR, too.  :P

Maybe my mascot needs a pink scarf?

Shirfan - ahh, suspense!  Can't wait for the RR.    And you get a "good job!" sticker on your post for the late-day dailies shout outs.

Docket_Rocket

I gotta go look and see whether I can find the adjusted calculator.  I know there is one for weather and another one for elevation.  It should give an equivalent under different conditions. I"ll see what I can find.

MarjorieAnn3137, I did register. And I'll even be able to retrieve my packet on race daySmile

Congratulations, Tom!!!

Damaris, I'd love to. Would you be able to recommend one? Otherwise, I'm thinking that I'll continue to do long runs, speedwork, and easy runs for fun, playing with the speed/pace, and using my five-miler on April 7 and, then, working from that for my half on May 26.

Damaris, I'm happy that you're feeling better and that your seconh run went well.

Luke, sweet 4.83.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Luke79

Luke - there's always one, lol.  Loving DST, now after-work runs won't be dark.

IKR.  I totally felt like an asshole walking into work late, everyone giving me a hard time lol.

Luke79

10 additional miles tonight. 20.05 for the day. Feeling much better that the humidity has lowered. It was 80F and sunny but I felt much better in this nice weather.

Nice dub!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SHIRFAN...shame we are on different posting schedules, I'm always missing your great runs! Can't wait for the RR.

Docket...killer double!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

pae

Yesterday was supposed to be 4 easy, but between snow and howling winds, I decided to move that one until Monday.

Today was supposed to be 14 miles.  The sun was out, which was nice, but the 25-35 mph winds (with stronger gusts) were pretty rough.  I started out my run intending to do 14, but after the first 6 miles into the wind, I was pretty wiped out, so I turned around at that point.  The return trip started out well, but I just ran out of steam.  So, for today, 12 miles total in a little over two hours.  I hate wind.