Beginners and Beyond

Thymoleptic Thursday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thymoleptic: Psychologically energizing

So what do you have today that will psychologically energize you?

For me it will be beautiful weather!   Sunny today in San Antonio, low humidity, 64 degrees.  Good day for a run after work!  I will be heading to one of the local YMCAs or Fort Sam Houston or Lackland Air Force Base to get in about 4 miles or so in the bright sunshine.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

No beautiful weather, but better weather.  I'm going to have a great day of work followed by time on a cheap hotel treadmill.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

I'm up early to run before work. I think it may become a Thursday thing 

MTA: I'm officially signed up for the Two Cities half on November 2nd and requested "Baconista" on my personalized bib.

I can. I will. I am. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 miles done.  Have not done that in the last 2 months.  Last 1.5 felt hard but I did them!  Massage therapist tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Good news. I ran 20 minutes on the track yesterday with virtually no soreness! I could not believe it. Yes, my legs are a bit tired after the marathon, but they were not sore! I ran 2.2 miles at a 9:00 pace and it felt fine. That's a pretty good recovery. I told older DD about it and she said, in the way only a 17 year old could, "Well, you're a runner, what do you expect?" Ironically, I still have a bit of a problem standing up from a chair and getting out of the car.  Today I hope to do 25-30 minutes and will hope for the same results.

Have a good day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have thymoleptic chorus rehearsal tonight!!  Just two rehearsals before our Friends and Family performance, and then one more after that before competition!!  I really don't think we're ready, but there's a good chance we'll be ready by the time we get on stage, so that's all good.  And anyway, we know we're not going to win or anything, so it's all about having fun!  Somebody asked me where competition was -- it's in Winston-Salem, NC.  My home town of sorts, since I went to Wake Forest for undergrad.

Scotty -- enjoy your beautiful weather!!  I was almost swept away by the gusty wind and freezing temps this morning, ugh!

awood -- enjoy your great day of work, and don't fall off the cheap TM!!

Bacon -- too cool to have your "name" on your bib!!

Docket -- have a good massage tonight!!  

Jack -- woo-hoo for no soreness!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

I haven't run in 5 days.  I think Im done with running, real running anyway.

I just "celebrated" my 2 yr runniversary in pain and not running just like I spent my 1 yr runniversary in pain and not running.  I can't get rid of my shin splints.  I put together 3 weeks of 18 miles and my shins (especially my rt shin) are killing me now.  I joined a gym last Nov hoping that doing leg strengthening stuff would be my FIX.  It isn't.   I have consistently done various leg workouts and machines and classes 3-4x per week never missing! (except the 10 days I did nothing when I had strep and bronchitis)  My legs are so much stronger but my shins still hurt.  Ive been to 2 ortho doctors, I have tried stability shoes, neutral shoes, $500 custom orthotics, Hokas, super feet orthotics, compression sleeves, mcDougal leg braces, changed my foot strike, increased my cadence, taping,  even barefoot fucking running and I still have shin splints.  Ive done venomized's fucking shin splint routine so many times I could do it in my sleep, put weights on the top of my foot, did 5 billion toe taps, eccentric calf raises, heel to toe walking, stretching, yoga, core works, rolling, icing, voltaren gel...  you FUCKING NAME IT I HAVE DONE IT.

Sucks because I always wanted to do a HM.  Thats not gonna happen.  My longest distance was a 15K and my shins were taped then and it was painful.  I don't know what Im gonna do.  Nothing RESETS my brain and stress like running did.   Im so pissed off and SAD.

I will still run a little here and there but nothing like what I had envisioned.  I need to figure out what I can run, 2 or 3 runs (3 miles?)  10 miles per week?  not even sure if I can handle that.

I remember going to the 2nd ortho doctor a year or so ago (he is a runner/biker) about my shins and he told me his wife had chronic shin splints and had to stop running (she became a cyclist).  I remember thinking,  "WTF you can't even help your wife overcome shin splints, what kind of lame doctor are you" my thoughts>> "NO one has chronic shin splints, everyone gets over their shin splints, Ive read the inter webs "  I just figured she was doing something wrong or wasn't dedicated enough to fixing it.  Blaming the victim, ha.

So Ive whined and moaned enough.  I will still check in from time to time on you guys.  XXXOOO

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, traci, I have nothing to offer except (((((traci))))).

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Traci - So sorry to hear about this. I was really hoping that you would find something that helped you overcome the shin splints. This sucks.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Good Morning Penguins!

Scotty-- That sounds like some perfect weather.  No wonder you find it thymoleptic.  You should have a terrific run this evening then.

Awood-- hope your day is much better today.

Baconista-- Yay@ getting signed up for a Half on my DD's birthday!  Something to seriously start working for.

DR-- wow, you're really doing well now!  As good of shape as you were in, I'm not surprised it's coming back so quickly though.

Jack-- LOL@ DD.  Gotta love teenagers, right?  So glad you're recuperating quickly!  You'll be back to training with DW in days.

HsM-- getting ready for the competition sounds like fun!  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you do win.

Tracilynn-- Sad  ANY of us would be whining in your position.  I'm so sorry, wish I could offer some real help.

I'm thinking I may run about 3 and do a short (VERY short) ride on the exercise bike just to keep things loose.  Air quality here is still really, really bad.  Looking at how brown the air looks, certainly doesn't make me wanna rush right out there.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Traci, sorry to hear you're still struggling.  Hubby is too and some weeks are better than others.  When he is not in pain, he runs 11 milers, when he is, he stops running.  Some people have chronic shin splints.  I am hoping you are not one of them.  Maybe I missed it but have you tried orthotics?  I know hubby has not but it's one thing they recommend for that.  Hubby recently found an article on it (medical one) so let me try to find it and I'll scan it for you.  It said that shin splints are basically a condition where the body creates more bone after every run and it talks about what to do when that happens.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Traci - I'm so sorry the shin splints are back, as bad as ever.  I have no experience with it, so all I can offer is a hug, but I know that's not really what you need; you want a solution.  Is it better when you run trails or the track where it's softer?  Maybe stick to short distances, add bike and swimming and do tris?

Scotty - your weather sounds wonderful.  When we walked Ben it was 21, feels like 5 degrees, thanks to very gusty winds.  It was cold!

Awood - sorry about the motel TM, but I hope your work day is a good one, making up for the lost time with the storm.

Baconista - hope you had a good morning run.  Hurray for signing up for a big race, something to work toward and look forward to.

D - seven miles - wow!  And in the morning too.  Great job.  How is the adductor?  Enjoy the massage - or is it the painful kind?

Jack - nice that you are in no pain already.  Take it easy anyhow, just in case, but it looks like your hard work is really paying off for you.

HopesMom - good luck at your competition.  I'm sure you'll have a great time.  I read an article last night that said the people who sing in groups are among the happiest, because of the way they work together to create beautiful harmony.

Cherie - still dusty?  I've hiked in a dust storm, I can see not wanting to run in one of those.  I hope your body is recovering well from the race.

AFM:  Rest day.  I realized last night that whatever was going on with my hamstrings seems to have eased.  They are still tight (always) but the pain is gone.  Such a relief!

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, it will be more stretches and stuff.  I've been doing adductors exercises but until we can work on the psoas (2 more weeks) and the piriformis (today) it has done nothing for it.  The adductors were a bit WTF in the last two miles.  They have done that before, but unfortunately, I cannot do anything about it until the psoas is made better.  Counting the days.  Glad the hamstrings feel a bit better.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No beautiful weather, but better weather.  I'm going to have a great day of work followed by time on a cheap hotel treadmill.

I knew it was a cheap hotel when I called down to the front desk to tell them "I've got a leak in my sink"...and the guy said "Go ahead!"