Beginners and Beyond

Waiting Game Monday Penguins (Read 33 times)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins.

I don't know what I am going to be doing today.

I'm sorry I haven't been around for a while, but things here have gotten crazy. Yesterday was my 7th wedding anniversary. It was also the day I got a phone call telling me my father slipped into a coma (stage IV prostate cancer). It's hard getting that phone call from one of his nurses telling you he is unresponsive, his eyes are fixed, his kidneys have shut down and they are just waiting for his heart to stop beating so they can pronounce him dead. So here it is 1:30 a.m. Alaskan time and I can't sleep. I'm just waiting for the phone call. Cry

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, but I thought I'd give you a heads up in case I go "missing" again.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Rach and other Penguins to soon follow!

Rach - Sorry to hear about your dad.

Yesterday I bailed on my run as I am still working on my "plan". Tonight I have an appointment for a massage - neuromuscular, trigger point, etc type. I will do my run after that - I hope that's a good idea.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a recovery run and weights if I get out of the office in time to run.

Rach, happy anniversary.  I am very sorry to hear about your dad.  Thinking of you during this tough time.  Hugs.

Gustav, enjoy the massage.  I loved my neuromuscular massage when I had some sciatica issues.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Rachel I am so sorry about your dad Sad

Guatav enjoy the massage! I got one last Saturday and it was ahhhhhhmazing. As for running after... everyone is different but I was really sore after my massage. In a good way, but all that muscle work definitely made me a bit sore...not aure if I would have wanted to run after. But maybe a recovery paced run would have actually helped? I was so sore afyer my last race until  I  took a recovery run...but maybe that's completely different lol.

Damaris- Have a good run and weights. Hope your asthma is doing better today.

AFM- My knee was starting to twinge after the billion stairs I had to do yesterday

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

...continued, cuz my phone is being stupid. Anyway, it's nothing painful but it worries me a little. So I iced it last night, going to take advil every 4 hours today and hope for the best. Thankfully it is a SRD.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Rach and Pengs.  Sorry to hear about your Dad, Rach.  Take care.

Probably running inside today after yesterdays RD.  Wind is howling here.

hog4life

Rach, I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my mother 20 years ago, and my father is steadily going downhill over the last year, so I understand how difficult this is for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this sad time.

I'm hoping to head out here in a few for 5 miles or so with some repeat intervals. I'm going to 3rd shift this week, and to b honest, I'm a little concerned about my race on Sunday. I know I've done the training and all should be okay, but just getting a little nervous I guess.

Bin Running

Rach, sorry to hear that abt your dad. Take care!

SRD for me today.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Rach - I can't even imagine.  No need for you to apologize.  I'll be praying for you and your family.  I wish I had some sort of insightful words that I thought would help.

Gustav - Make sure you hydrate well after your massage.  I hear that's important.

Docket - Recover and then beat yourself up  with weights. That only makes sense in the world of sport.  I love it.  Enjoy!

Kristin - Hopefully the twinge doesn't linger.  It's time for elevators.  It's 2013.  Ice is never a bad idea though.

Jerry - Today's a SRD for me, but that wind is supposed to be wicked today.  It would be a tough call.  Heavy wind, or dead air.  Ugh.

Mitch - I'm nervous before every race, but I've PR'ed every one of them.  I've even run time trials in the past, and thought, "There's no way I can generate the speed I need right now for a PR.".  Something happens on race day.  I think you'll be just fine.

Bin - I'll be resting as well.  Well, I'll be lifting, but not running.  Enjoy!

AFM - I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's run.  Because of the 5K this weekend, I skipped my long run.  I had a full schedule after the race of parties, etc.  So, I just didn't do it.  Tomorrow is a 10 mile quality workout.  2 miles easy, 2.5 miles Tempo, 1 mile Easy, 2.5 miles Tempo, 2 miles Easy.  That's a butt kicker, but this weekends long run is just 2 1/2 hours Easy pace.  I'm looking forward to that as well.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

awood I would love an elevator in my building!! Andthe subway, and the theater, and everywhere else I went yesterday lol.

From the Internet.

I will indeed be playing the waiting game for the next couple of days.. Track workout with the club this AM, we did intervals at 1000, 800, 600, 400, and 200m with 200m recovery in between. Was super fun, but my legs are pretty tired now and I'll be monitoring the shin closely for the next day or so to make sure it's still good. I have to say, having a set time to run fast makes it SO much easier to run slowly the rest of the time! Hoping that my shin will agree with this schedule.

Rach I'm so sorry about your dad Sad

Zelanie

Morning, everyone!  Today I have 7 on the plan, with 3-4 at tempo.

Rach- I am so sorry!  My thoughts are with you and your family.

Gustav- Hope the massage goes well later!

D- Hope you are able to get out at a reasonable hour today!

kristin- Hoping the RD is just what your knee is needing!

Jerry- Good luck with the indoor run!

Mitch- You are going to do great this weekend!  I just know it!  How is the tooth?

Bin- Enjoy the SRD!

Awood- Sounds like a good, tough workout you have coming up!

Lauren- I agree, taking the time to run fast can be fun!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

After 2 events done over the weekend, I slept like a rock last night, very nice, thanks for asking.  Here are the links to my reports and photos...lots of photos, I guess I got a bit carried away, lol.  But they were both great events with very nice post-race parties.

Be My Valentine 5K:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/66113d9647b74210829b5842cc687964/resume#focus

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo 4-Miler:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/0f667bffa6084af78864e2bdb3b82174/resume#focus

Today is a rest day.  As I was off Thursday and Friday, I will probably work a little late today to catch up on some stuff.

Happy belated wedding anniversary, Rach!  So darn sorry about the news on your father, wishing you and your family all the best!

Enjoy the massage, Gustav.

Enjoy your inside run, Jerry!  If that is even possible...  Wink

Happy running, Mitch, hope it went well.  As for your race, I bet you'll be just fine and do great as you usually do.  Nervous is normal.  Look at how many events I do...yet, I still get nervous every time, right up to start time.  After I get going, I 'settle in" and am fine.  I'm sure you will do great.

Happy SRD, Bin!

Congrats on your track workout, Lauren.  Hope the shin behaves for you!

Good luck with the 10 miles, Awood!

I responded to Damaris, Kristin, and Zelanie in the Dailies, so I won't duplicate myself here.  However, wishing you all a happy day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!

Rach, so sorry to hear about your dad!!  One of my best friends from grad school posted Saturday  on FB that her father had passed.  For him it wasn't unexpected, but it's still tough.  Thinking of you!!

I'm giving a seminar this afternoon.  Not thinking of much else besides that ...  Shocked

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.