Beginners and Beyond

It's Thursday, and a Penguin and a runner walk into a bar.... (Read 280 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

...the bartender says, "Where did you find him?"

The Penguin replies, "He was outside staring at his watch mumbling, 'searching for satellites' "!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  3 or SRD, not sure yet.

Gustav, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Gustav and Damaris.  Thanks for starting.  might take a RD and go to health club. DW is a little sore after LR yesterday. 

Damaris, thanks for updating the M/HM schedule.

Have a great day Penguins !!!

I was ready to go for a run, even though it is supposed to be a rest day. I heard the baby crying, so I grabbed her and we started watching the news and cartoons. I may hop on the treadmill after work or see if DW wants to run. Laters taters Tomas

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

haha thanks for starting us off again Gustav. Good title!

URD for me. I woke up not feeling too great (another cold coming on?!) and I didn't want to push it. I have a really busy weekend (going out of town tomorrow for the wedding of one of my best friends, and I'm in the wedding so it's going to be a busy weekend....rehearsal and rehearsal dinner tomorrow evening, early wake-up Saturday morning to get my hair done, bridesmaidly duties, ect.) and being sick would NOT be conducive to that. So I opted for the extra hour of sleep. I'm mad because I don't know if I'm going to get my 3 runs in this week. I've been listening to my body and trying to do what is best, but unless I can figure out a way to run over the weekend I will only be able to do 2 runs. Since I'm not familiar with the area where the hotel is, I don't think I should try to run there. Maybe the hotel has a gym with a treadmill, but I've never run on a TM before...might be time to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Have a good day penguins!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

4M w/ 6X100m strides on the card but didn't get to do it. Forgotten some stuff in office and had to run 2.5M to get it. At least get some run in.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone. Going to try and get a run in today. Week has been pretty busy along with my leg hurting Mon and Tues and then yesterday I was busy getting my Christmas village set up plus I told myself I Was going to get the carpet in our bedroom cleaned so I was pretty busy and time just got away from me. Still going to try and squeeze at least 20 in for the week though.

I ended up having to work lastnight/this morning for 4 hours, plus got moved from mid to night shift which really sucks because we have family coming over Friday and I have to work 5p to 5a Sad Got to love these swing shifts. We have one person request off and another out with the flu so its fun fun fun.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Jimmy, sorry abt the shift work messing up everything.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins!  Dreadmill went surprisingly well last night.  Have 45 minutes or so on the bike tonight.  Not much else going on here.  Hope you all have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Ha! Nice one, Gustav.

Demaris- do what you like, oh,ohhhh.

Jerry- is your wife planning to run the HM also? You two are doing a great job upping those miles.

Tomas- you just can't beat sweet baby 'nuggles time. It's fleeting.

Kristin- that's rough! But, I agree with you that wedding is the important thing, and you have to be healthy for that, no doubt. hope it's a fun one! The key to treadmil is start slow and MUST HAVE MUSIC

Bin- hey, that's one way of getting some miles in!

Jimmy- I want to see the village! I'm a total decoration nerd. In my dreams i could go full griswold

Jen- nice on the TM and bike!

SRD for me today. Got some great news on a personal level. The second part I can't share yet, but the first part is that my brother's short film (He was producer and he was assistant Director) was accepted to Sundance!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hola Penguins!  Welcome back to San Antonio for me!  Went over to my favorite park for a run...and got knocked down by a deer.  I think they missed me. Big grin   Got in 3.3 miles and it was nice to be running again in sunshine and 65 degrees, after those colder temps in Washington State.

Back to work today, so a lot of catching up on e-mail, etc., after being gone for a week.   After work today will be an easy 3 - 4 mile jaunt around the campus of the university where I work.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

His Slowness

Good morning Penguins.  I introduced myself just before RWOL self-destructed and followed you guys over here.  I feel at home here and will probably stay.  Today is a rest day.  Did 3.4 yesterday which was a little more than usual but finised upright and moving forward with few ill effects so I guess it was good.  Tomorrow will be a little shorter and faster.

Happy Friday Eve!

Bill

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Love the avatar, Bill!

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Hey all,

Gustav, thanks for starting us off and nice one!

Damaris, sounds like a RD either way Smile

Jerry, enjoy the RD

Tomas, TV with the kids, one of my favorite pastimes Smile  Good luck getting a run in later.

Kristin, check with the front desk sometimes they have running maps, but if you don't know the area, you can find a Mall and run around the parking lot.  I did that for a business trip in Atlanta, it was a nice well lit run.  Also the experts say you can run with a cold as long as the symptoms are from the neck up.

Bin, Sorry you didn't get the workout in, but way to get a run in.

Jimmy, yikes about the shift change...  Nights are rough.

Jen, good luck on the ride tonight, and way to get the dreadmill in.

Kara, Enjoy the RD.

Scotty good luck with the run later.

AFM, 5.2 miles in 23 degree weather.  For some reason it seemed colder then that, had to keep the gloves on the whole time.  I am loving my running pants that I got (http://www.rei.com/product/803042/nike-perfect-track-pants-mens) legs stay nice and toasty but no too hot.  Hope they work well in the rain...  So I have planned my next Half, I am doing the Colchester CT Half (the town I live in) in Feb.  Its not some much a race as it is a group run that you pay $12 to do.  It has timing but no medals or awards or Tshirts, but they say you can have all the hills you want Smile.  But for $12 how can you go wrong.  So I need to start ramping up my long runs again.

Have a Happy Thursday all!

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.