Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Giving Tuesdaily (Read 15 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 inside or outside miles planned for us.  Looks like some good running weather in the forecast, so we better get a LR in this weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Might run something tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning 5 done on the TM.

Does anyone else have a problem sleeping after a RD? I seem to wake up early the next day after a RD. 2:30 this morning. Rolled around until 4 and finally got up.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Car is going in to have wheels balanced this afternoon so I'm working from home. Husband put my new winter wheels on, they were *supposed* to come mounted and balanced so I assumed that meant we could just put 'em on and go, but my car is shaking when I get up to highway speeds. Dealer where I have all my service done said that likely means at least one wheel isn't balanced, so I'm a little annoyed that I have to pay for this now.

I thought I had finally picked out a spring half last night.. but I just now read a review saying it's actually *really* hilly, with the biggest hill coming at mile 11 D: Not sure how I feel about that now! The swag is fantastic but I don't know if it's worth putting myself through a very hilly race. Registration just opened for the half I ran last spring and I loved that race, but I kinda want to run something different given how many races there are around here.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Speed work today. I think it is 8x800 at ghmp with recoveries at a quarter of the interval time. This should be a blast? Tongue

I decided I'd prefer to try to have all of my toenails this summer and didn't register for the nj marathon Tongue honestly I think I should work on speed at the half marathon distance for the spring before I train for nyc in the fall.

pad - I have trouble sleeping after my long runs, but not after my rest days

Lauren - I repeatedly do the same races... And I hate hills... So I would probably go with the devil I know. Tongue

Dr - I read your space coast report. I would just relax today Tongue

jerry - enjoy your outside miles

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning!  Legs felt really good on my short run last night, hopefully that's a good sign!  I'll run something later today.

Jerry- Good running weather in Chicago in December?  Nice!

D- Enjoy the recovery day. Smile

PAD- Nice run!  My trouble is always falling asleep after a late run.  Haven't noticed the pattern for a RD other than I sometimes want to eat the entire house.

Lauren- I guess it just depends on how much you're wanting to get a certain time on your HM vs. do the best you can on that course.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good day. I have some intervals to run but I don't know if I should use the TM, the road, or the track. Decisions, decisions...

From the Internet.

sapf and Zel - I think I'm going to change my mind about 7 times before the registration price goes up (January 9), lol. Right now, really, the elevation profile doesn't look terrible and I'm supposed to be training on more hills this winter anyway. I have a backup race at the end of May that I could run if I'm really not happy with my time on this course. The race swag includes a free hoodie in addition to the race t-shirt, so that's almost reason enough to register and just see how it goes.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - I'm glad you're getting a break in the winter weather.  Enjoy your four.

PAD - I get intermittent insomnia, but haven't figured out the pattern.  Sometimes it's before my long run, because I tend to stress about that, or after a MP run because of achy legs.

D - I hope you get a good run in later.

Lauren - all of our local HMs are hilly.  It's not bad if you've trained for it, and it sure isn't boring. (I find flat courses pretty boring.) However, you're less likely to get a PR if your other races were flat.  Fun but slow vs. boring and fast.  Not an easy decision.

Jill - those are short recoveries.  Good luck.

Z - good luck on your run this evening.

Jack - home again?  Have a good run, wherever it may be.

I'm planning on 8 on the TM later.  It's another cold wet dreary day.  I'll pass on the group run.

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!!  Well, it was kind of a crazy holiday for the HopesMom family.  DH, Dusty, and I went down to NC to spend Thanksgiving with my folks, which would've been a lovely trip except we were both sick.  So there was craziness in cooking, shopping on Black Friday (not my idea, my mother's), and coughing, sniffling, etc.  Plus my phone up and died on Wednesday night, so I had no connection to the outside world at all.  On Sunday, as we were packing up to get back to VA, DH got a call from the vet that Maggie had ripped her stitches, so he had to go back in and clean out the wound, put in a couple of drains, and start her on antibiotics.  So on Monday we went to buy me a new phone (it wasn't repairable) and then picked up our kitty, who gets her drains out on Wednesday, gets her stitches out in two weeks, and will be in an e-collar until then.  She was pretty sleepy and very purry, but I'm betting scamper cat will reappear once she's got the drains out.  It's been a crazy weekend!!  Quartet gig tonight, hope I sound like something other than a total frog!!

Jerryb -- enjoy your 4!!

Docket -- have fun maybe running tonight!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 5 done!!

Lauren -- Annoying about the car, but woo-hoo for working from home!!

sapf -- Good luck with the intervals!!

Zelanie -- have fun running something tonight!!

Jack -- good luck on your intervals, wherever they happen!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Just peaking in to say "Hi!"  and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  Looks like some of the running family is still around, and yes, i do think about y'all sometimes, I'm just lazy!   I took a couple of months break (and yeah was letting a broken toe heal)  but started up running again towards the end of October, and am now putting in some short runs again.  6 this morning, I'm thinking of a race this spring to help motivate me, but haven't picked one out yet.

Jerry, enjoy your good weather!

Docket-- hey ya, pretty profile pic!   Hugs to you!

Lauren-- I'm with Ginny, a hilly race is usually a much more interesting race, but then again, I'm not that into speed.   Your flip floppin though sounds distinctly like me.  Why do we fret so much over picking our races?  LOL

sapf-- ouch-- sounds like you have a fun one planned!

Zelanie-- are you recovering from a recent race?   Anyway, glad your legs are doing well.

Jack--- the road.   Why?  Cause I say!  ;-)  Enjoy your run no matter where you do it though.

Ginny--- hows the weather where you're at?  Are you doing TM because of the cold?

Hopesmom-  What a fun, busy holiday weekend!  Hope you're feeling better, and that Maggie heals up quickly.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

It was windy so we wimped out and ran 4 on our "walking dead" track.  Some tried to run, so it was more like the running dead.

Hiya Cherie !!   We still want to make it out to Phoenix some day.

GinnyinPA

Hi Cherie - welcome back.  I'll be in Arizona in February, I hope, running Lost Dutchman. And yes, it's a cold drizzly day, not a good one for an 8 mile run.

Docket_Rocket

Cherie is back!

I was busy writing a complaint due today. Objecting to a debtor's discharge.  It took the full day to draft it and file it.  But I'm done, yay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page