Beginners and Beyond

Spinach for All Penguins Thursday! (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

July 16 is Fresh Spinach Day!

photo spinach_zpscej8znmd.gif

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Out with my veterans group, Team RWB (Red White & Blue) San Antonio,  on Wednesday evening at VFW Post 76 for an outing of your choice: run, walk, run/walk, whatever. I ended up with 3.5 miles run/walk along the Riverwalk. 91 degree temp but only 37% humidity so it was actually very pleasant. Here we all are just prior to the run, everyone who is a veteran with their hand raised in the 2nd photo. A great group of folks. Me (in the yellow shirt) and my bud, John Purnell (on my left) and the guy on my right, as the umm..."Senior" veterans there  got the top step.

After the run, we had some good socializing, cold beer, snacks, and on the way home I got some good dinner from Augies BBQ, which gives you a LOT of food for the money.  My wife, Gail, accompanied me to the event - she actually took the photos for us - and ate her own dinner while we were out running.  After I got back to the VFW from the run, since I was driving, I treated her to a cold margarita from the bar at the VFW.  Very pleasant sitting on the outside patio post-run enjoying drinks and conversation with friends and my lovely wife.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I did make it out yesterday for W1D1, so that was nice.  DH let me borrow his Garmin, since I still have NO idea where mine has gotten to.  I've looked in all the places that make sense, so I guess it's time to look for what doesn't make sense.  Anyway, I'm fairly stiff this morning, and both my knee and ankle are a little achy, but I'm not too worried, since this is my first run in donkey's years.  I did my PT this morning, and won't run today because tonight is chorus rehearsal.  Woohoo!!

Scotty, great pics!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!

Looks like a fun outing Scott.

Glad you finally got a run in HsM, even without your Garmin.

Gym and short run this afternoon for me.

Might be a good day for Spanokopita !!!

PADRunner

Morning, 5 done this morning. I had some delicious saag last night does that count? I need to pickup  some more spinach today I'm out.

Zelanie

I don't have any spinach here, I might have to go get some! Smile

I had a great track workout last night.  I'm still just getting my confidence back that I can do them at all, since I've felt really sluggish lately.  The workout was simple - 2x800, 2x400, 2x200.  But having those 800s done early made everything else seem short, so I was able to speed up in every interval as I went, to the point that I feel like I rocked those 200s.  Sure, sure there were just two of them.  But I haven' t had that "it is fun to run fast" feeling in a while.

We also had a new girl show up to the workout.  Her name is Lauren, and she is super young and fast and badass, so naturally I felt like our Lauren was there with us. Smile  She even has a tattoo of the same Robert Frost poem that I have on my road ID.

Tonight I just have 6ish with the running club.

Scotty- That sounds like an awesome event!  It's great that you get such a good turnout and that Gail was able to participate as well!

HsM-   Now remember to take it easy and ramp up slowly!  Were you able to get your technical issue resolved?

Jerry- Have a good gym/run day!

PAD- You are always eating tasty things.  I'm jealous!  My dinner was super boring, but I did get myself an ice cream bar on the way home from the track. Smile

LRB

I did make it out yesterday for W1D1, so that was nice.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Thought I had posted, weird.  I took a rest day yesterday and I have Pilates and 8 miles tonight.

Scotty, your post on the dailies screwed up page 1.  Not sure why but I assume it's the picture.

Hope, yay for getting out there!

Jerry, now I'm hungry, thanks!

PAD, nice 5.

Z, excellent track workout!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi all!  Right now it is 99 degrees in Paris. Yep very very hot!  I got 6.3 slowish miles done this morning. Tomorrow will be a cross training day so dh and I will rent bikes and cycle around the gardens in Versailles.

Hsm- congrats on getting back to running Smile

scotty - 91 is too hot to function!

jerry - enjoy the gym

pad - good job on the 5

z - speedy youngsters are fun

d - getting forgetful?

lrb - hi there. I've seen you when I lurk on the speedy people thread Wink

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

D- How is Trixie doing?

sapf- Sounds like a great time!  Are you going to get to see any of the Tour de France?

Docket_Rocket

She is fine. They could only flush one of her tear ducts in that eye so we won't know if that will solve her crying problem in full. We'll see!  Thanks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Hi all!  Right now it is 99 degrees in Paris. Yep very very hot!  I got 6.3 slowish miles done this morning. Tomorrow will be a cross training day so dh and I will rent bikes and cycle around the gardens in Versailles.

Hsm- congrats on getting back to running Smile

scotty - 91 is too hot to function!

jerry - enjoy the gym

pad - good job on the 5

z - speedy youngsters are fun

d - getting forgetful?

lrb - hi there. I've seen you when I lurk on the speedy people thread Wink

What up doe. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  Thought I had posted, weird.  I took a rest day yesterday and I have Pilates and 8 miles tonight.

Scotty, your post on the dailies screwed up page 1.  Not sure why but I assume it's the picture.

Hope, yay for getting out there!

Jerry, now I'm hungry, thanks!

PAD, nice 5.

Z, excellent track workout!

I deleted them from that thread.

Zelanie

She is fine. They could only flush one of her tear ducts in that eye so we won't know if that will solve her crying problem in full. We'll see!  Thanks.

Hope so!

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Trying to figure out what makes more sense for me today.  I had planned to do 3 today, 4 tomorrow, and six on Saturday; but I've signed up for a 10K on Saturday and didn't get out for a run this morning, so I'll probably run tonight and tomorrow morning.

Options:

1) 4 tonight, 3 tomorrow.

2) 3 tonight, 4 tomorrow. (usual Th-F schedule)

3) 6-7 tonight, rest tomorrow.

I have run exactly 1 10K before and that race featured a 1.5 mile evil hill at mile 4, so as long as I don't blow up stupidly, I should PR with a nice strong run. (Being a slow newbie is *awesome.*)  Am I better resting or running tomorrow?

For the past months I've been running five-six days a week and it's going really well; seems to be less mentally intimidating for me to get out the door every day for a few rather than run longer twice a week.  We'll see how it goes once half training starts in a couple of weeks...