Beginners and Beyond

Financial Friday Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yesterday involved so much math on figuring out the rent vs buy situation.  Anyway, looks like we'll hopefully be home owners (in NJ suburbs) rather than NYC renters come September.  Now we just have to find and buy a house   This is of course ideal and super easy to do during marathon training 

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I guess it's financial for us too -- the insurance company is supposed to call between today and Tuesday with our final check $.  They ended up totaling the car, which is not terribly surprising.

So here's the deal.  When we had Allstate for insurance and wrecked the car, we had a check in three days.  With AAA, it's been almost two weeks and we still have no check.  The rates for AAA are about half what we paid monthly for Allstate.  Is it worth it?

So we're going car shopping on Saturday, only probably not to actually make a purchase.  I'll take a day off next week for that.  Life is never dull!!

Jill -- thinking of a home to buy is really exciting, but sometimes the reality of it is kind of a drag.  Hope you find the perfect spot for you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck house hunting, Jill.

Good luck car shopping HsM.  Same for us. Probably another Sienna, for all of our destination races.

Travel day to Indy.  Running with Meb tomorrow.   We should beat him since he is in corral Z Smile

on my way to badass

Good morning Pens!

Jerry- tell Meb I said "Hi!"

Jill- finding a home starts out exciting, gets old quick.  Have a plan.  I hope it goes quick for you.

HsM- that is an awfully long time to not have a check on a totaled car.  Raise hell and shop for another insurance company.

I'm gonna do some miles today.  That is all.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Good morning Pens!

Jerry- tell Meb I said "Hi!"

Jill- finding a home starts out exciting, gets old quick.  Have a plan.  I hope it goes quick for you.

HsM- that is an awfully long time to not have a check on a totaled car.  Raise hell and shop for another insurance company.

I'm gonna do some miles today.  That is all.

What do you mean by "have a plan"?  We've basically narrowed it down to two towns and set our budget.  I guess we just need to start seeing places and get mortgage pre-approval.

Oh yeah I'll do some miles today.  Or maybe swim.  I need to do something though :-)

Singer who runs a smidge

Just found my dream car.  It's another Prius (of course!), but it's a Prius 4 instead of a 2, like my current one.  Among the perks are a back-up camera and ... OMG, HEATED SEATS!!  For someone with chronic Arctic Tushie like me, that would be the bomb!!  It's at a dealer where we purchased two previous Priuses, and the only downside is that it's also silver, like my current one.  How will we tell the two apart??

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Just found my dream car.  It's another Prius (of course!), but it's a Prius 4 instead of a 2, like my current one.  Among the perks are a back-up camera and ... OMG, HEATED SEATS!!  For someone with chronic Arctic Tushie like me, that would be the bomb!!  It's at a dealer where we purchased two previous Priuses, and the only downside is that it's also silver, like my current one.  How will we tell the two apart??

Is it new?  I'm looking into buying a prius when we make the leap to NJ.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Good luck Jill!  Exciting times.  Lily Bear will have a yard to poop in soon!

Good luck with the Prius, hopesmom!

Jerry, have a great safe trip.  Say hi to Meb. Smile

SF, have a good run.

5 easy done with hubby this morning.  I ran 4 yesterday.  No ill effects from the marathon.  I don't think I ran hard enough. 

Now I'm off to get the oil changed on cutie girl's Corolla.  It's her birthday (23 today!) so I decided to do it for her and not make her take the dealer's courtesy van to work.  Then when I get home I'll take hubby's truck to get the oil changed.  I had my oil changed in my car on Wednesday.  They don't usually all come together around the same time!

GinnyinPA

Jill - one thing is to figure out what you really want in a house vs. what would be nice but isn't as important.  We wasted a lot of time trying to narrow down our options.  Then when it came down to it, we weren't able to find what we really wanted (a house in the woods with no lawn) but we at least knew what was available at our price range and also what we didn't want in a house.  i.e. Do you want a fixer upper or do you want a house that won't require any work?  Fenced yard?  Fireplace?  Garden? Pool? Near a good school? Dining room? Exercise room? Since we have so many books, a lot of houses were out of the running because they didn't have enough wall space for book shelves. Try to avoid sump pumps if you can.

HopesMom - sorry the insurance company has been so slow.  I don't know if it's worth it to save the money or not.  At least they are finally ready to pay, even though it proabably won't cover the cost of the new car.

Jerry - have fun at the race this weekend.  Say hi to Meb for us.  Will you be running this time or run/walking?

Stonefence - I hope your miles went well.

Brilliant - I think recovery gets easier as your body gets accustomed to the longer races.  I know recovering from my second marathon was a lot easier than the first anyhow.  I'm glad you're doing so well.

Another rainy day here.  Fortunately, I had already planned on it being a rest day.  This is the weekend of the big neighborhood yard sale, but just about everyone on our street gave up around noon when the rain began to get serious.  It's also the weekend of the big 3 day annual book sale at the college, but by the time we got there (before noon) there had already been some serious inroads in the stock.  We still managed to walk away with three bags full.

Singer who runs a smidge

Is it new?  I'm looking into buying a prius when we make the leap to NJ.

No, buying a new car is kind of insane.  Figure a car can drive about 200000 miles.  Calculate how many miles you drive in a year, and figure out how many miles and years are available on your new and on your used car.  Then see which is more cost efficient.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill - one thing is to figure out what you really want in a house vs. what would be nice but isn't as important.  We wasted a lot of time trying to narrow down our options.  Then when it came down to it, we weren't able to find what we really wanted (a house in the woods with no lawn) but we at least knew what was available at our price range and also what we didn't want in a house.  i.e. Do you want a fixer upper or do you want a house that won't require any work?  Fenced yard?  Fireplace?  Garden? Pool? Near a good school? Dining room? Exercise room? Since we have so many books, a lot of houses were out of the running because they didn't have enough wall space for book shelves. Try to avoid sump pumps if you can.

Useful advice.  Going from a tiny NYC apartment to a house - basically anything will be an improvement :-)  That's partly how we've decided on towns already: proximity to our families in NJ, commute time to NYC via train, decent schools.  Other things maybe we'll know better once we actually see the homes themselves.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

No, buying a new car is kind of insane.  Figure a car can drive about 200000 miles.  Calculate how many miles you drive in a year, and figure out how many miles and years are available on your new and on your used car.  Then see which is more cost efficient.

I 100% agree but not all people see it that way.  Some people crave the new car smell ;-)

on my way to badass

What do you mean by "have a plan"?  We've basically narrowed it down to two towns and set our budget.  I guess we just need to start seeing places and get mortgage pre-approval.

Just really decide what is most important to you.  Like what Ginny said.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Annoying that I can't run when the weather around San Antonio has been really nice for our May Days.  This frustrating hamstring/piriformis will just not behave itself.  Maybe I need to get a deep tissue massage or something to really dig in there.  Anyone got any suggestions?  I'm trying to behave myself, I know I just have to let it heal...but I am just terrible at being patient, lol.  I think I am driving my wife crazy with my moaning about it.

Meawhile, I am trying to do what I can - stationary bike, climbing stairs, rowing machine, doing walks of about 3 miles.  It's okay...but it's not running!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt