Beginners and Beyond

Another "Running is BAD" Post (Read 167 times)

Sloooow.

Will my uterus fall out too like my coworker told me?!?! And I will just destroy my knees, yeah?

You know, the only reason I clicked the link was that I was sure it would be about uterus's falling out, haha.

Running has helped me lose 40lbs so far. My knees are stronger than ever. My uterus is still in there. I had a girl tell me her personal trainer said running is terrible for you, as it makes you burn muscle not fat, and it's better to walk. Okie dokie. I'm having fun running, leave me and my atrophying muscles be!

Resident Historian

Yeah cause nobody wants to look like this heading for age 52 and another marathon in 19 days. 

Then a triathlon a few weeks later.Big grin Cause that would just suck.

Running sucks..

... for those that are jealous of you!.  

Excellent!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

And you become a running/triathalon sock fashionista!

Yeah cause nobody wants to look like this heading for age 52 and another marathon in 19 days. 

Running sucks. It keeps you full of energry, healthy and fit and a size 2 when most of your peers are

overweight and complaining about their aching knees.

I used to be 38, 40lbs overweight, sluggish and unhappy with my body and my health headed for a

bad place. Now that was BAD.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.   People are buttheads. Nuff said.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Just B.S.

And you become a running/triathalon sock fashionista!

Well I have been running for 14 years and I did my first tri 2 years ago BUT those

killer socks and shoes are new!LOL

Love the Half

I used to reply to nonsense like this but I sort of quit for several reasons.

1.  Nothing I say is likely to convert anyone else into being a runner anymore than their blather about the proper machining of a bolt is going to turn me into a gun enthusiast.

2.  My actions may well get someone off the couch.  I recently had two people in my Army Reserve unit (and we're scattered over about 10 states so I don't see some folks more than a couple of times a year) tell me that they started running and lost 20 pounds in one case and 30 in another because they saw what it did for me.

3.  They are not jealous.  When I was an obese chain smoker, I was never, ever jealous of those morons I saw soaked in sweat on a hot day or out there huffing and puffing away on a cold day or begging off happy hour because they were going for a run.  I thought they were idiots.

4.  When someone insists that it's bad for my knees, I usually say, "yeah, but it's good for my heart so it's a fair trade."

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

adkkev

"That running is gonna wreck your legs ya know ... wait 'til you get to my age ..."

"Really? How old are you?"

"I'm 54"

"No shit!  Guess I shoulda stopped 6 years ago, 'cause I'm 60"

and then he walked away.

My two responses are:

1) yeah, love hurts

or

2) bad for you? So is kissing, you get herpes from that

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

MrNamtor

The only positive thing you can point to in this article is the variety of arguments and assertions the author has managed to pull completely out of his ass.  It's a good example of taking something (in this case illogical stupidity) and stretching it to the outer edges.

Love the Half

OK.  I wasted five minutes of my life and actually read the article.  This moron says that some physique coaches prescribe 20 hours of cardio per week.  Of course, he doesn't say exactly who does this.  It's the ever famous, amorphous "them."  Mind you, even world class marathon competitors aren't running more than 10-12 hours per week but this dude, of course, knows folks who prescribe 20 hours per week.  This sort of reminds me of the massage therapist who told someone to take a steam bath to remove lactic acid.  Sheesh.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

Running sucks. It keeps you full of energry, healthy and fit and a size 2 when most of your peers are

overweight and complaining about their aching knees.

I used to be 38, 40lbs overweight, sluggish and unhappy with my body and my health headed for a

bad place. Now that was BAD.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.   People are buttheads. Nuff said.

Yup.

MrNamtor

OK.  I wasted five minutes of my life and actually read the article.  This moron says that some physique coaches prescribe 20 hours of cardio per week.  Of course, he doesn't say exactly who does this.  It's the ever famous, amorphous "them."  Mind you, even world class marathon competitors aren't running more than 10-12 hours per week but this dude, of course, knows folks who prescribe 20 hours per week.  This sort of reminds me of the massage therapist who told someone to take a steam bath to remove lactic acid.  Sheesh.

Classic straw man argument.

MrNamtor

article also mentions "studies" showing this or that.  Also that your body somehow recognizes "useless expenditures of energy" (as opposed to useful expenditures like lifting a weight up and down 30 times) and somehow magically compensates for it by not responding to it. We all know that fitness gets built through the body's response to physical stress. Somehow though, the body knows that running is "useless". How it knows this exactly is not explained in the article.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I actually had the pleasure of reading this...lol  The guys studied math and physics, and thinks he's an expert on the human body now.  Maybe he didn't see the top women at Boston.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my Facebook friends are rebelling. My 3-4 posts a month mentioning running has caused a 1000% increase of friends posting links, pictures, sayings, about why running is bad. Lol.

This is the latest one that has popped up. http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

"If you waste energy running, your body will react by slowing your metabolism to conserve energy."

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

LRB

No, no, no....that excuse is only valid for females!!

You are right, my uterus fell out.  Big grin

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

The theme of this article is that running is not the best way to sculpt your body and the author assumes that is the reason people run.

Maybe people are running so that they get better at running?

To say this article is biased towards the author's narrow point of view is doing a disservice to biased articles everywhere.  Really not compelling.

**Ask me about streaking**