Beginners and Beyond

TuesDailies (Read 18 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I was back at the track today for the first time in 3 weeks, gingerly testing out my knee/hip issues.  We started off a bit conservatively, but picked up the pace as the workout progressed.  I was trying out two new shoes, the New Balance Fuel Cell Rebels and the Brooks Launch, both recommended as good for track work.  The NB were a bit bouncy but fit my feet well.  The Brooks, coming after the NB, felt almost like boards tied to my foot.  Not only no cushion, which I can understand in a light, minimalist track shoe, but uncomfortable too; I'll be returning them.

6 x 800m w/400m recoveries, 7 miles total for the day.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

delicate flower

Good morning!!!  I went to the office early and hopped on the fitness center treadmill for an hour.  Good run.  I've got a bike fitness test later, which is going to suck.  The object is to simply last as long as you can as the intensity slowly builds until you hit failure.  You've got to really concentrate and keeping pedaling as long as you possibly can....every second matters.  My legs will be shaking when I finish.  The longest I've ever lasted is 22 minutes.  We'll see if I can top that today.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 7 with 2 X 1 mile @ 10K later.

Fred, I have both and like both but I agree with your assessment (if I were to wear them back to back, ha).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Morning! I have 7 with 2 X 1 mile @ 10K later.

Fred, I have both and like both but I agree with your assessment (if I were to wear them back to back, ha).

I can see where both shoes can have their appeal, though they're really completely different in style.  The Brooks might have had a place in my collection if they weren't such an uncomfortable fit to my feet.

My old race shoes, the Brooks Asteria, were discontinued which spurred me to finally get the Vaporflys. I’m not going to waste Vaporfly miles on workouts, so I was continuing to use the Asteria for speed work. But they've now hit retirement age; I was going to look for something else for workouts, but I hate trying new shoes so I might just use my daily trainers. I imagine it will be fine. 

Getting ready to head out.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My old race shoes, the Brooks Asteria, were discontinued which spurred me to finally get the Vaporflys. I’m not going to waste Vaporfly miles on workouts, so I was continuing to use the Asteria for speed work. But they've now hit retirement age; I was going to look for something else for workouts, but I hate trying new shoes so I might just use my daily trainers. I imagine it will be fine. 

I hate trying new shoes too, with the result that I end up searching online for remaining pairs of a discontinued shoe and wind up wearing shoes that are two or three generations behind current shoes in terms of technology and construction...

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 on the treadmill with 15 min, 10 min and 5 min at M pace or something like that. First time doing intervals over 6 minutes in a very long time.

I normally wear Mizuno Wave Riders. They keep messing with them each new release,  so I keep trying other shoes. I guess I could just go buy every pair of $99 Vaporflies and call it a day.

Fred, I was not a fan of the Launch. They had a weird fit. I have Brooks Ghosts that failed as running shoes but are super comfy every day shoes. The Launch wasn't comfy as a non running shoe either.

I hate trying new shoes too, with the result that I end up searching online for remaining pairs of a discontinued shoe and wind up wearing shoes that are two or three generations behind current shoes in terms of technology and construction...

That’s me, except I just drive 15 minutes to the Brooks Outlet which always has discounted older models. I don’t mind wearing them since I don’t really think they’re making groundbreaking advances in technology or construction. The newer ones are usually fine too, I just like to save money since with my mileage I burn through about 6 pair per year.

MTA: oh yeah I ran 9 miles.

Dave

$99 Vaporflies

I still don't understand how/why this exists. Why would they need to discount so much, and how do any still exist once they do? The best online discount I see is maybe $175 (I think I saw $150 once), and they fly off the shelves so that very quickly the only sizes they have are 6 and 15.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I still don't understand how/why this exists. Why would they need to discount so much, and how do any still exist once they do? The best online discount I see is maybe $175 (I think I saw $150 once), and they fly off the shelves so that very quickly the only sizes they have are 6 and 15.

I have no clue. The clearance store seems to have a decent selection of "real" running shoes. The factory outlets seem to be more lifestyle.

The only thing I can think is Nike may have strict rules for whoever sells their products (as in sell for MSRP, no exceptions). Thinking maybe past models than ho back to nike?

Docket_Rocket

Damn, wish I had a clearance store nearby then.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Damn, wish I had a clearance store nearby then.

Mine is about an hour away, which would be an easy trip for that kind deal. Of course like any clearance operation, who knows what they have. I’d probably call first, unless I happened to be in the area for some other reason.

Dave

delicate flower

I hit up two Nike outlets when I was in Florida for the Dopey and did not see any of those clearance Vaporflys.  That was the only reason I went into the stores.

<3

I hit up two Nike outlets when I was in Florida for the Dopey and did not see any of those clearance Vaporflys.  That was the only reason I went into the stores.

But were those “Factory Stores” or “Clearance Stores”? 

Dave

sdWhiskers

6.5 miles with 3 x (200, 200, 400) with equal recovery jogs. Man this was tough going and another very cold morning (37F). I had to stick close to home so loops around the neighborhood, plus a break at Mile 5 to drive Kid to school.

This afternoon, I need to renew Kid's passport which, for those that don't have kids, means DH, Kid and I all need to go to the passport place together. An annoying logistical mess when the places only have a few appointments each day, mostly during school hours. They need both parents OK to get a passport, even though he has one already. His current international trips include Mexico and Japan, and we'll be adding Switzerland this summer (and probably Germany/France). I was 20 at the time of my first flight