Beginners and Beyond

What's with all These Aches????!!!! (Read 77 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so I haven't ran since Sunday, that was 10.6 miles and I decided it would do my body some good to rest. My calves weren't loosening up (they've been a bit of an issue since early December), during this run my right leg was surprisingly fine but my left leg was beginning to show so many issues that I began to panic - just under my left butt cheek was tight and aching, along with the bottom of the biceps femoris or right on the outside/behind my left knee and if that wasn't enough, my left toes were burning like hell. So I decided take a few days off, which couldn't have come at a better time since my little man hasn't been feeling good and it's been freezing fucking cold out so I wasn't worried about it. Honestly I am not worried if I don't run again until next Tuesday, hell if I have to I'll take 2 weeks off.

But here's the thing, suddenly and by suddenly I mean just an hour or so ago my legs have began to ache, just ache in so many different areas. These are the same aches I kind of dealt with during my marathon taper, but I am freaking out because I have no absolute idea if I have one major problem area that started all this crap, or if it's all in my head and my body just needs the break I never gave it after the marathon.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I don't feel what you're feeling, but I would give it a few days to see if it seems persistent or not.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't feel what you're feeling, but I would give it a few days to see if it seems persistent or not.

It's weird and it's annoying, other than that crap I am itching to get back out and run damn it Sad

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe you have not recovered from the marathon or started back too fast and are still suffering from some aches and pains?  I don't think you are running too fast for how you feel but that could be also a reason.  Or the shoes need changing (or did you change them).

Maybe, just maybe, it's the big A.  AGE! 

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Maybe you have not recovered from the marathon or started back too fast and are still suffering from some aches and pains?  I don't think you are running too fast for how you feel but that could be also a reason.  Or the shoes need changing (or did you change them).

Maybe, just maybe, it's the big A.  AGE! 

Lol, at 27?? Really, I was thinking it could be something do with the cold weather..... but that can't be possible because I did fine last year.

I retired my other pairs because I was feeling my calves and ankles in them, and it was awful. But I have the same brand of shoes - one is even the same color as my old yellow ones.

The marathon was 11/01 and I started running again the following Thursday, I only gave myself 4 days of rest but I thought I felt so good that I thought it couldn't hurt.

My pace hasn't changed, it was slow the first 2 weeks after the marathon but I was hitting the trails. My pace is right where it was all last year and I actually seemed to feel better when I would pick up the pace.

What do you think D, should I just hold off until next Tuesday and give myself a good week and 2 days of recovery?

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Is it the exact same model as the last one or the next model?  Sometimes they change the model and they fit differently.

Damaris

happylily

I think you need something called Udo 3-6-9. It would be very good for you. Have you ever heard of it? Also, you write some big ass long sentences...

Seriously, you worry too much all the time. Relax. I often have aches that pop out of nowhere and are gone a day or two later. I think we all do. The cold weather and maybe slippery conditions of your trails could be factors in your aches. Just take it easy for the rest of the week. And remember that this month and the next one will be very hard on most of us up North. It will play tricks of your mind. Be prepared for it mentally.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I think you need something called Udo 3-6-9. It would be very good for you. Have you ever heard of it? 

lol

LRB

Also, you write some big ass long sentences...

That made me laugh out loud.

LRB

Left knee, left toes, left ass. Sounds like you are dealing with some kind of imbalance.  Could be something a good massage therapist can work out, if not a physical therapist surely can.

As for the muslce soreness, I had a similar experience after a 6 mile trot through some ankle deep snow. It didn't seem like much at the time, but my body felt some kind of way afterwards.

RSX

Paragraphs are your friends.

27 is the new 45. 45 was my age where things started hurting more often. It is more likely that you didn't recover enough from 26.2.

I'm still feeling a meniscus injury from my Boston training. I slowed down 1 month them amped up again. I have a Boston comp # but am turning it in but I digress.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Same model D, GT-2000 2.

Haha everybody, I'll write correctly when we start grading and giving out treats and bonus points  I am a worrywart, I wasn't so much last year and just gave my body what it needed. Now, I think I am bothered so much by it because I want to get out there and back up to 40-45 mpw. 

PRs

Half Crazy K 2.0

Are you possibly overdoing stretching, foam rolling and other activities?  I once did an hour DVD that was "recovery" oriented and fel more sore after it than before.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

just under my left butt cheek was tight and aching

I dunno about the other stuff, but this sounds like it could be a piriformis problem. You can look online about this, there are some pretty good stretches for this problem that are very effective.

It may also be that you have 'referred' pain/discomfort from whatever the original problem is. So maybe if you can find what is bothering you the most and get that corrected, maybe that will help with all the other stuff.

Whatever you are going through, I wish you all the luck in getting everything resolved quickly!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Are you possibly overdoing stretching, foam rolling and other activities?  I once did an hour DVD that was "recovery" oriented and fel more sore after it than before.

I've thought about that too, but then I feel better afterwards... wouldn't I feel worse after foam rolling or stretching? To be honest I am rather relieved to not be running right now, today marks the 7th consecutive day of less than 4 hours of sleep. I am beginning to ache all over my body now, hell every night since last Wednesday I have been getting headaches or migraines while laying in bed trying to fall to sleep. Dorian isn't 100%, hell he seemed so much better Wednesday night so we went to work yesterday and he immediately got worse, last night we thought we'd have to take him to the convenient care center. The two of us are staying home today, and he is already much better than yesterday so he will have all weekend to rest.

So, who knows Sad maybe I have something hiding beneath the surface, and it hasn't hit me like it has everybody else but it is most certainly waiting for me to fuck up. 

PRs