Beginners and Beyond

Week 5: Penguins are loving the bubble wrap!! (01/29-02/04) (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day!!  So at the chorus holiday party, I ended up with a gift that was done up in bubble wrap.  I unwrapped one end and passed it to the lady on my right.  As I kept unwrapping, she kept passing, and by the time I'd uncovered a lovely ceramic fish, the bubble  wrap extended all the way around the room and everybody was playing with it.  Too funny!!

Well, I did get my peach pie made, and also a couple of loaves of bread.  I also passed my music theory test (woo-hoo!!) and had a chorus management team meeting.  It was a good weekend!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Ooh, my kind of day, since I tend to hurt myself all over, lol.

I have 6 and weights tonight.

HopesMom, congrats on passing the test!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - sounds like a very productive weekend.

D - for as much running as you do, you are actually extremely resilient. Your knee issue wasn't even running related. I'm envious.

Easy 7 with strides today. Thanks to rearranging my schedule to accommodate weather, that makes two in a row. Both went well and made me feel faster than usual.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 with 6 X 100m after Pilates.

Ginny, I might be resilient, but it would be nice not to fall and trip daily.  Ha.  Nice run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Rest day for me, since I did today's run yesterday. The forecast snow was a no-show, aside from a few flakes that barely dusted the grass. It's cold though - feels like 13 ATM.

Singer who runs a smidge

I was surprised to discover some snow around work, since there wasn't any at home.

I'm doing my Faculty Report, CV, and Workplan for my annual evaluation.  Just shoot me.

Also listening to Blues Radio on Pandora.  Hoping that makes it better.

Singer who runs a smidge

Such quiet Penguins!!  It's been too cold out for me to do my after lunch walk (I am SUCH a cold-weather wuss!), so I've been doing yoga in the morning before I leave.  And now I'm attempting to remember enough Tai Chi to teach DH.  How do I get to that first Single Whip again?? 

GinnyinPA

I'd like to learn Tai chi.  I started to learn it in college, but mid-terms came and the class broke up. A few years ago I got a dvd and a book, but because you move in all directions, I find it really difficult to figure out what to do when my back is to the screen.  I'm not terribly well coordinated, so I need instruction. Someday I'll find a class, I hope.

I don't like serious cold, but with a good jacket and gloves, I don't have a problem walking Ben in the winter. Cold clear winter nights can be magic, especially when there's snow on the ground.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I really am like a dog, lol. Went for a planned 3 mile run after work last night, starting from one of our local YMCAa.   But... after I got out there,  saw a road I had not been down before...hmmm, where does that go? Wandering down the road I went, lol, exploring. Got myself a bit lost too. Ended up with 3.8 miles..but had fun!   Felt strong the whole way too. Still debating whether I am going to get the pacemaker or not.

Weather was lovely last night too in San Antonio...67 degrees, low humidity and low dew-point.  Today we are going up to 76 degrees.

Today after work will be a run around the campus probably.  Or maybe at Fort Sam again...I need a haircut and that is where my barber is.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Hmm, would you get the haircut before your run, so that all the little hairs get itchy, or after your run, when your barber notices your ... aroma? 

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Ran 6.06 last night and 10 this morning.  Too busy for my taste, gah!  Pilates later.

I'll catch up at some point.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - Scotty - nice runs.

Today was supposed to be a rest/cross day, so we went to the state forest for a short hike. There's still some patches of snow and ice on the trail and the water was cold. Jim fell at one stream crossing and got drenched. I just looked at the wet wobbly rocks and decided to wade. It was a slow hike. Still, it was nice to get into the woods.

Singer who runs a smidge

I don't think if I saw DH fall into a cold stream that I would be able to keep from snickering as I helped him up.

Of course then he would probably pull me in too ...

No yoga this morning.  I was tired from chorus rehearsal and TOTALLY not feeling it.  Halfway into my second sun salutation I gave up.  Quartet rehearsal tonight, then Saturday I'm making (another) cheesecake for a Superbowl party on Sunday.  Woo-hoo!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I woke up with a bad migraine, to the point of throwing up at Starbucks.  LOL.  Feeling better now and in court.  Pilates for me tonight.

Waiting for news of hubby's follow up for his brain tumor.  Sigh.  My mom's news on her brain scan were not as happy as we expected and on top of the news of Bugsy's protein levels, this week sucks and now I worry about hubby's results.

Scotty, nice run.

Ginny, nice hike.

HopesMom, LOL. I would still be laughing instead of helping him too.

Damaris

Fundraising Page