Beginners and Beyond

Need a new treadmill. Recommendations? (Read 59 times)

Trail Monster

It's official. DH and I are treadmill killers. Our Proform just had the drive belt replaced and a tune up. Now the belt and rollers are done and the brand new drive belt is already fraying. We need a heavy duty industrial hamster wheel ASAP. We both run on it almost every weekday. We're not heavy people so it's not weight that's killing our treadmills, just heavy use. Would prefer something that goes to at least 12MPH and 15% incline. Pre-programmed hill workouts and such is a bonus but not necessary. Please tell me what you have or use and whether you like it or not. Thanks!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

catwhoorg

Labrat

I have a Precor 9.31, its a really good machine (but pricy).

The 9.2x precors aren't as good as they used to be (Cheaper components the last few years). 9.31 is the lowest to go in the Precor range.

Landice L7 is another great option. I use that at the little fitness center our development has.

Those were my top #2 for buying. I went with the Precor on feel. The L7 does have a longer belt if thats important to you.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

How old was the Proform and how many miles do you speculate were run on it?

If the newer belt was showing wear already then I bet there was similar wear on the deck and perhaps the belt and deck should have been replaced.  The problem there is the cost involved and it might be better to buy new and peddle the old on Craig's list.

Trail Monster

It is about 3 years old with about 3500 miles on it. Pretty much everything replaceable is worn which would cost about as much to replace it all as to buy a cheaper new one. Therefore I think I will just buy a better new one. Just hoping to find a sturdier one and make a good deal on it so I don't break the bank.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

This place seems to be a good place to do some research:  http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/

Jnfr Jogs

Have had a Horizon GS1040T for  4 yrs. Have replaced the motor control board ($199) last year and the running belt ($99) last week;  and was told by several that I lucked out by getting one with a 2.25 hp drive motor purely by accident.  At the time I bought it, I was only interested in walking on it. I have since learned how to run on it, and that it is recommended that any running treadmill have a 2.0 hp or higher drive motor.

I wouldn't exactly recommend a Horizon - at the time it was a super duper more than 55% off last one in stock sale, with free delivery & assembly included.  I have walked on it almost daily, and run on it for the last year about 3x weekly. I have also been told that you can count on the motor control board to last about 3 yrs no matter how light or heavy the usage, regardless of brand.

Next time, I think I'll hit up Fitness Unlimited, a used/refurbished fitness equipment store here in Houston.

True or Landice. Perhaps a LifeFitness

If you are heavy users spend a little more. I'm convinced that treadmills are one of the things in this world where you get what you pay for in terms of quality. I researched a lot before I bought one for our family and names kept coming up. I wound up buying a True PS300 and love it.

Or look at commercial grade models but those can get really spendy.

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

If you are heavy users spend a little more. I'm convinced that treadmills are one of the things in this world where you get what you pay for in terms of quality.

+1

When I was shopping for a treadmill back in 2001 I tested a lot of models and eventually purchased a True 550HRC because it was the best one I could find.  It's built like a tank and still going strong.  Even though I spent a lot of money on it, it's been worth every penny.

Since I haven't gone treadmill shopping for 12 years I can't advise you on what current models to look at, but based on the mileage you're putting in, don't skimp on quality.  In order to save some money, you could try to find a lightly used one.  Lots of people buy them after making New Year's resolutions and then stop using them after a few weeks.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Trail Monster

Thanks all. I wrote my contact at ICON Fitness and asked for some advice. Hopefully they'll help me hook up with the right brand and model for our uses. I'll do some research on these recs in the meantime so I know what I really want/don't want. I'm not opposed to spending a lot on something that will last. I'm just afraid it won't actually last. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

+1 to considering buying used.  The value of the equipment drops significantly as soon as it is no longer "new".  So many people buy treadmills, etc. and never end up using them.  I would troll your local craigslist for something top notch and lightly used.

**Ask me about streaking**