Beginners and Beyond

Frowst Friday Penguins (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning.  Good hill workout last night.  Easy milestonight.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What, no Penguin thread yet?  Is everybody on the east coast sleeping in?

FROWST:  To luxuriate in hot stuffiness

Which is what I am doing, lol.  Yeah, my kind of weather!  I MUCH prefer to be HOT than cold.  And I'm getting my wish.  85 degrees yesterday after work when I went and did my run/walk on hills...and more hills...and more hills.   Ended up with 4.2 miles under the sunny sun sun sun!    Today San Antonio is heading for 82 degrees.  I have a 5K tomorrow and race start temp will be about 66 degrees.   Oh yeah...I feel like a cat 'luxuriating' in the sun....NO MORE COLD for us for a while now...yeah!

I have the day off today...tweaked my back a bit doing something-or-other and my spinal arthritis has 'flared" somewhat.  Not too bad, but still annoying...so off to the doc today to get some Trigger Point injections and calm things down.   This is pretty 'routine' for me, so I'm not really worried, I know I will be returned to what is 'normal' for me in a very short while.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Since we travel tonight, I had to wake up super early to run 3 miles (which is the most I have time for).  now at work wishing I could sleep.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I've got Zoe home here and she seems to be doing well.  We have a little room in the house blocked off for her, with just enough room for her to lie down and move around a bit, but not enough for her to play or get up on furniture.  It does have my desk and computer in it, so plenty of excuses to be on the forums. Smile

It's also the last day of school before spring break!  Hooray!

Baconista- Congrats on getting that new digit in front of your 5K PR.  That's exciting!

Damaris- Good luck this weekend!

Scotty- Hope the arthritis feels better soon!

Awood- Enjoy the easy miles.  Care to share your goal for your HM?

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm with Scotty, I would SO rather be hot than cold!!  And I definitely luxuriate in it, woo-hoo!!  So it's supposed to be 60-something today, which thrills my soul ... maybe I can get a walk in!  Competition is in three weeks, so I'm doing all the little stuff like making sure I have all the make-up, I need a new pair of shoes for the quartet walk-around, etc.  And my Roll Recovery thingy I ordered should be here on Monday, and I CAN NOT WAIT!!  Hoping working some of the kinks out of my leg muscles will help my knee.

Awood -- enjoy the easy miles!!

Scotty -- sounds like an awesome run yesterday!!  Hope the injections do the trick!!

Docket -- I'm almost always at work wishing I could sleep!  Meetings are dangerous for me ...

Zelanie -- glad Zoe is home and doing well!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I prefer "cool" to anything. If the temperature was 63 all year I would be fine.

I will run 4 miles at some point today. DW and I have 14 miler scheduled for tomorrow but we will have to get in somewhere between one DD's swim practice and the other DD's track meet. Also, I have my massage schedule for tomorrow, as well.

Have a nice weekend, Pens.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - If I knew my goal, I'd gladly share   A PR is highly unlikely.  I feel a bit unprepared.  We will just have to wait and see.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Zel, his goal is to survive the Whiskey Hill. I seen the pic of Zoe, glad she is better.

Picking up the timing trailer today, helping at our packet pickup, hopefully time for 4 miles.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

DW never runs with the Garmin, so today she did.  Pace was 10:15 after slowing down the 4th mile.  Guess I really do slow her down.  Maybe I'll send her to San Juan to race this weekend.

Now we are going for a Friday Fish Fry in the city.  Maybe have some Killian's too.

60 today, but winter returns this tomorrow   !!!    

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Quick 0.75 mile warmup and weights this morning. My Saturday morning running buddies have pretty much talked me into trying for 9 miles tomorrow, I bought a handheld water bottle and my very first GU yesterday at the LRS. A little nervous, but very excited! Big grin

GinnyinPA

Scotty - thanks for starting us off.  I don't care for frowzy.  Stuffiness makes me claustrophobic.  I like cool weather, but not the kind of cold we've had so much of this winter.  Forecast calls for more snow, maybe, both today and Tuesday.  Aargh!  I hope the doctors can help ease your back pain.

Awood - enjoy your easy miles later.

Damaris - I can't believe you're doing a half so soon.  Good luck.

Z - are you doing anything interesting during spring break?  I know, it's hard when you have a hurting kitty.  At least you'll have some time to run.

HM - I hope you get a walk in later.  60's and sunny is perfect for that.

Jack - are the two meets tomorrow at least in the same area?  That's a lot of cheering you'll be doing.  Good luck getting the run in.

Mitch - good luck with your race tomorrow.  I hope all goes smoothly.

Jerry - I imagine she'd still rather run with you than alone.  Do you think you'll be able to try a short run soon?

Lauren - good luck with your long run tomorrow.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  Good luck with the Gu.  I've been experimenting with gels again, with my usual mixed results.  Fruit gel tastes good but upsets my stomach, the espresso tasted dry but didn't upset it too much.  Raisins didn't upset it much at all but are sticky.  I'll see how I do with Shot Blocks on my next long run.  With the cool weather, I haven't really needed them, but when it warms up, energy is more of an issue for me.

AFM:  I'll probably do a few recovery miles on the TM later.  I'm not at all in the mood, but hopefully it will come later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I went for my walk.  I figured I should, since today and tomorrow are the last days before a stretch of 40's hits again, possibly with more snow! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Scotty that cat looks so comfy and happy!  Enjoy your sunny weather today!

Zelanie-- you're such a good pet mama!

HsM--- I can't wait until your roll thingy gets here either.  I want to know how you like it.  I was soooo close to ordering one myself, but just couldn't make myself pay quite that much without knowing for sure if it worked well.

Jerry-- I'd gladly run slower to be able to run with my DH.  I'm sure she doesn't mind.  I think you all are so, so lucky to be able to run together like you do.  Hope your knee gets better quickly!

Lauren-- You can do it!  Rawr!

I did 12 technicalmiles yesterday, and today i did 10-1/2.  Get to pick up DH in Tucson tonight! Yay!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM--- I can't wait until your roll thingy gets here either.  I want to know how you like it.  I was soooo close to ordering one myself, but just couldn't make myself pay quite that much without knowing for sure if it worked well.

I know, it's a ridiculous price to pay sight unseen and all.  But the return policy seems pretty easy, if I hate it, and I'm really hoping that it's the wonder instrument they say it is.  Unfortunately now I'm hitting the "track package" button 20 times a day ...